Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You have a point there. I, on the other hand, now buy NOTHNG but necessities. Virtually everything I have to sell was either bought years and years ago - used - and used until I upgraded (the bike and kayak) or were things given to me or gotten for virtually free. So I have very little money invested. Therefore, it shouldn't bother me to get no money on the backside of it. I just have to keep reminding myself of this!
My husband and I watched one of the remodeling shows several years ago. They were sprucing up the flower beds. There was a bush that had been there for a long time that looked kind of sad and would have needed time and some serious pruning to make it look good again. The host made a comment that the bush had 'payed the rent'. My husband and I have adopted that phrase and use it when it is time to get rid of something. In your case, I would say that the items you no longer use have "payed the rent". You've gotten your best use for them and it's time to be done.

One of my tricks for getting rid of stuff is to pile it in one place like next to the trash can on the curb or in the back of my vehicle for donation. I take a picture of the pile. It really feels good to offload whatever clutter from my house. I'm done with it. It paid the rent and I'm getting that much space back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 07:09 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
I HAVE noticed that, having brought a few boxes and bags to both my local humane society thrift store and Goodwill (not my favorite charity, but just junky items I can't bear to throw into a landfill). Relief and also a fleeting but satisfying sense of virtue, LOL.
You do realize that goodwill will send dumpsters FULL of stuff to the landfill. People literally drop off garbage and they sort through it and keep what will sell, dump everything else.

Furniture is usually a "no" .........heavy, takes up too much space and it is harder for people to buy it/take it away.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My husband and I watched one of the remodeling shows several years ago. They were sprucing up the flower beds. There was a bush that had been there for a long time that looked kind of sad and would have needed time and some serious pruning to make it look good again. The host made a comment that the bush had 'payed the rent'. My husband and I have adopted that phrase and use it when it is time to get rid of something. In your case, I would say that the items you no longer use have "payed the rent". You've gotten your best use for them and it's time to be done.

One of my tricks for getting rid of stuff is to pile it in one place like next to the trash can on the curb or in the back of my vehicle for donation. I take a picture of the pile. It really feels good to offload whatever clutter from my house. I'm done with it. It paid the rent and I'm getting that much space back.
Great outlook!

Old 04-10-2021, 04:01 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I had a pile of stuff in a spare room that I had for years intended to (try to) sell online. I thought if I moved it into the hall -- in my sight -- I would be more motivated to sell it. Instead, I got sick of seeing it and stepping around it and finally donated it to the local humane society thrift shop. Helps the animals, and what a relief to have my hallway back!

Old 04-10-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do realize that goodwill will send dumpsters FULL of stuff to the landfill. People literally drop off garbage and they sort through it and keep what will sell, dump everything else.
I do, but that's on them. I can't personally bear to throw still-useful items away; if they do... Not my problem!

Old 04-10-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I do, but that's on them. I can't personally bear to throw still-useful items away; if they do... Not my problem!
I agree, I get aggravated when neighbors throw stuff out that other people can use. Neighbor threw out 3 perfectly good bikes, she was moving to a condo. I don't need or want them but there is an immigrant community nearby where almost everyone rides bikes. If I saw the bikes earlier, I'd put them in a pickup and take them over there myself.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:26 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Throwing away stuff not good enough to sell is a huge expense for thrift stores. You are hurting them when you do that. If you wouldn’t buy it yourself don’t donate it. Give stuff away by posting on Nextdoor, etc and put it outside so people can pick it up without a hassle to you.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:42 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times
Quote:
Yes, this is my problem. I see friends making bank selling their junk online, and I want the same. I just can't bring myself to do it!
Just let it go... it’s very freeing to clean out junk. I load up my suv and haul all unused items to goodwill a few times a year. I write it off on my taxes... and saved the hassle of dealing with wishy washy buyers...

Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Throwing away stuff not good enough to sell is a huge expense for thrift stores. You are hurting them when you do that. If you wouldn’t buy it yourself don’t donate it. Give stuff away by posting on Nextdoor, etc and put it outside so people can pick it up without a hassle to you.
No, thanks!

Old 04-11-2021, 06:23 AM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Using Goodwill as your garbage service is not cool at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living