Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 08:16 AM

20,369 posts, read 14,647,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Goodwill would have taken it (I saw one there last week), but you'd have to have gotten it there.

And yes, they'll certainly take a brand new comforter set still in the bag -- or even a not-so-new comforter NOT in the bag.
Around here (Phoenix area) none of the thrifts including Goodwill would take our humongous hutch even if we did transport it to them. I called and asked. And it makes sense, because no one is buying them, and they take up a lot of showroom space and hurt the employees' backs when anyone tries to move them around. I called a couple of furniture consignment places, Goodwill, and the Humane Society thrift store, all said no. Some of the others had on their websites that they did not accept large cabinets or hutches.

I tried to demolish ours, I did manage to get the drawers and shelves and hardware off, which I'm keeping because I think I can repurpose it, but it was a massive, solid, custom built thing and between how well made it was and the limits of the tools I had... I couldn't even get it outside to destroy it, it was too heavy to shift. I was trying to pry it apart in the living room with a claw hammer and screwdrivers. It wasn't happening. So at least the company I called claims that they recycle stuff, but it wasn't cheap to have them come and take it.

I am of that mindset with furniture myself, I don't want to own anything that I can't move with perhaps one helper. I prefer being able to move it myself, even if it means carefully scooting or walking it. I want one of those sectional sofas, but we inherited some nice bamboo cane frame furniture (a set of sofa and a few chairs) and I'm going to get new cushions made for it, after we move back to Colorado. When I was in my younger adulthood, we owned recliner sofas and that was a huge mistake. We got them at first because the backs came off and we could fit them into the narrow door of our home at the time, but I think that moving them around was one of the things that contributed to my ex's back injuries. They were STUPID heavy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 08:43 AM

17,363 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Around here (Phoenix area) none of the thrifts including Goodwill would take our humongous hutch even if we did transport it to them. I called and asked. And it makes sense, because no one is buying them, and they take up a lot of showroom space and hurt the employees' backs when anyone tries to move them around. I called a couple of furniture consignment places, Goodwill, and the Humane Society thrift store, all said no. Some of the others had on their websites that they did not accept large cabinets or hutches.

I tried to demolish ours, I did manage to get the drawers and shelves and hardware off, which I'm keeping because I think I can repurpose it, but it was a massive, solid, custom built thing and between how well made it was and the limits of the tools I had... I couldn't even get it outside to destroy it, it was too heavy to shift. I was trying to pry it apart in the living room with a claw hammer and screwdrivers. It wasn't happening. So at least the company I called claims that they recycle stuff, but it wasn't cheap to have them come and take it.

I am of that mindset with furniture myself, I don't want to own anything that I can't move with perhaps one helper. I prefer being able to move it myself, even if it means carefully scooting or walking it. I want one of those sectional sofas, but we inherited some nice bamboo cane frame furniture (a set of sofa and a few chairs) and I'm going to get new cushions made for it, after we move back to Colorado. When I was in my younger adulthood, we owned recliner sofas and that was a huge mistake. We got them at first because the backs came off and we could fit them into the narrow door of our home at the time, but I think that moving them around was one of the things that contributed to my ex's back injuries. They were STUPID heavy.
I hear you. Unless you have tried to haul this stuff around and tried to get rid of it yourself, you likely have no real appreciation for just how heavy it is and how impossible it is to give it away. Nor do they get how expensive it is to get help with this kind of thing.

We have 2 over sized leather recliners upstairs and they are lead to move. When my early 20 something kids are both home again I'm going to have them help me get them down the stairs and outside for the donation people to take for free or I'll order a bulk trash pickup. I don't care, I just want them gone so that we can paint up there without worrying about scuffing the paint when we bring those things down. My husband and I could probably do it ourselves, but like you say, it would be stupid of us to risk our nearly 60 year old backs struggling to get two 25 year old recliners down the stairs. I wish I didn't have to ask the kids to do it but they are young and strong and should not have any issues.

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-09-2024 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-09-2024, 10:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Our Habitat Restore sells almost nothing BUT "bulky furniture" (including a lot of really cool vintage and retro pieces) with no sign of stopping. If that's a trend that's on its way out (?), I'm glad I got my antique walnut wardrobe and leather sofa - for pennies on the dollar -- from Goodwill when I did! Granted, that was back when I had a boyfriend with a truck and friends with strong backs to transport them.

The demise of the "entertainment center" may have more to do with the transition from cathode ray to flat screen TVs, but the one at my local Goodwill was gone as of last night!

If some of you don't see any use for Goodwill merchandise, that fine, but remember that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." That's sort of the whole premise of thrift stores...

Old 01-09-2024, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Our Habitat Restore sells almost nothing BUT "bulky furniture" (including a lot of really cool vintage and retro pieces) with no sign of stopping. If that's a trend that's on its way out (?), I'm glad I got my antique walnut wardrobe and leather sofa - for pennies on the dollar -- from Goodwill when I did! Granted, that was back when I had a boyfriend with a truck and friends with strong backs to transport them.

The demise of the "entertainment center" may have more to do with the transition from cathode ray to flat screen TVs, but the one at my local Goodwill was gone as of last night!

If some of you don't see any use for Goodwill merchandise, that fine, but remember that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." That's sort of the whole premise of thrift stores...
Our Goodwill has a nice selection of sofas, chairs, tables and I think I saw some armoires there. I don't see anything wrong with buying those items if that's what you want but the bottom line is getting a bulky piece of furniture to Goodwill to donate is going to require brute strength and a large vehicle to haul it in. And if you buy something like that, again, you would need brute strength to get it into your large vehicle and then strength to move it into your home.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:27 AM

Well, you'd need a truck and some movers? The items get there and the items leave, so I guess sufficient numbers of people don't find that an insurmountable challenge! God bless them, as it keeps Goodwill going. You can always pay thousands of dollars for new and have it delivered (which also requires a truck and movers), but many would rather not.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:32 AM

7,506 posts, read 3,231,998 times
I gave away a huge TV Armoire back in 2010 when a good friend of mine (much younger) had bought a big house and they got married. It was newer, a very nice piece originally $2,500-ish. I think it was the brand Hooker or one of those. Anyways, I convinced my friend to hire a contractor to put shelves in it. It looked really nice in her dining room (it fit the configuration of the room well (there was one wall and high instead of wide was the key). So, kind of a wedding gift. She had to live with a giant tv in the living room they did not even attempt to disguise.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Well, you'd need a truck and some movers? The items get there and the items leave, so I guess sufficient numbers of people don't find that an insurmountable challenge! God bless them, as it keeps Goodwill going. You can always pay thousands of dollars for new and have it delivered (which also requires a truck and movers), but many would rather not.
Sure you could hire it done but why would I pay $300 to a couple of guys with a truck to get a 30 year old couch to Goodwill or haul an entertainment unit there that I have literally not been able to give away?

I remember going for bargain furniture when I was younger and hefting my end of it. I can totally see why people buy that stuff from Goodwill. And if you have the strength and the truck to get the items to Goodwill I can see how it would be convenient to drop things off there just to get it out of your house.

The last time I was in the donation line, there was a young guy (30/40ish) dropping off a pickup truck full of furniture. It probably took him and the workers a good 20 minutes to get all of that off of his truck. It looked like good stuff, too.

Old 01-09-2024, 10:58 AM

I guess you'd pay $300 (I suspect non-professionals would charge less) to hire movers because otherwise you'd be paying thousands of dollars to buy and deliver new, as I said? But to each his own! And for those with their own trucks and movers, it's an absolute steal...

Old 01-09-2024, 12:45 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Sure you could hire it done but why would I pay $300 to a couple of guys with a truck to get a 30 year old couch to Goodwill or haul an entertainment unit there that I have literally not been able to give away?

I remember going for bargain furniture when I was younger and hefting my end of it. I can totally see why people buy that stuff from Goodwill. And if you have the strength and the truck to get the items to Goodwill I can see how it would be convenient to drop things off there just to get it out of your house.

The last time I was in the donation line, there was a young guy (30/40ish) dropping off a pickup truck full of furniture. It probably took him and the workers a good 20 minutes to get all of that off of his truck. It looked like good stuff, too.
Yeah I would never pay money to get something to Goodwill just to donate it. If I can't take there in my car, by myself, it's getting put out at the curb or advertised on marketplace. Someone else can haul it.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah I would never pay money to get something to Goodwill just to donate it. If I can't take there in my car, by myself, it's getting put out at the curb or advertised on marketplace. Someone else can haul it.
I don't think anyone was suggesting anyone "pay money to get something to Goodwill just to donate it." I presume those who donate bulky items probably get them there themselves (a relative with a pickup and a buddy isn't a rarity, at least around here). But some feel it's worth it to hire someone to move something they BUY there. I've done it myself, albeit for a lot less than $300; as I recall, it was around $25. I still saved hundreds over buying new, with the added advantage of it being a beautiful antique. My last Goodwill furniture purchase, however, was a lovely little antique sewing rocker with a hand-embroidered seat for a bedroom that I could easily carry by myself. $7. It was well-worn and obviously well-used and -loved, and I was happy to be able to give it a second home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living