Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2024, 05:21 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm sure OP meant "size tags"; not price tags. They're held on with plastic ties of various colors. These are what you find (with the tie torn) hidden - or not so hidden - in dressing rooms when people steal the clothes.
You're probably right, I never shopped at Goodwill myself so I didn't pay attention to what I was cleaning up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 08:16 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Why would people tear off size tags and hide them behind a mirror? Every Goodwill I've been to has price tags on all the clothing because the prices aren't consistent. Goodwill and Savers are set up more like non-thrift stores. Most smaller or local thrift stores don't tag everything because of blanket pricing (all pants $3, shirts $2, etc).

Old 01-04-2024, 05:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Why would people tear off size tags and hide them behind a mirror? Every Goodwill I've been to has price tags on all the clothing because the prices aren't consistent. Goodwill and Savers are set up more like non-thrift stores. Most smaller or local thrift stores don't tag everything because of blanket pricing (all pants $3, shirts $2, etc).
Have some of you ever even BEEN in a Goodwill? There are no price tags on the CLOTHING in any store I've ever been in, and I've been in a few. The price IS consistent based on type of clothing. Perhaps you're confusing it with Salvation Army, which does use price tags (and also doesn't allow returns or exchanges, which is why I prefer Goodwill). Other merchandise is marked with a price, but that's not what people bring into a dressing room to try on. I'm sure a good many of these people end up wearing the clothes right out the front door, and a plastic tag with a colorful size marker hanging off them might be rather conspicuous, hence the practice of tearing them off and leaving them behind. I see at least one or two of these literally every time I go into a dressing room.

Old 01-04-2024, 04:03 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Have some of you ever even BEEN in a Goodwill? There are no price tags on the CLOTHING in any store I've ever been in, and I've been in a few. The price IS consistent based on type of clothing. Perhaps you're confusing it with Salvation Army, which does use price tags (and also doesn't allow returns or exchanges, which is why I prefer Goodwill). Other merchandise is marked with a price, but that's not what people bring into a dressing room to try on. I'm sure a good many of these people end up wearing the clothes right out the front door, and a plastic tag with a colorful size marker hanging off them might be rather conspicuous, hence the practice of tearing them off and leaving them behind. I see at least one or two of these literally every time I go into a dressing room.
I have seen price tags on Goodwill's clothing priced higher than their regular items.

Old 01-04-2024, 05:14 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I have seen price tags on Goodwill's clothing priced higher than their regular items.
I live in Colorado and every Goodwill I've been in (quite a few) have price tags on their clothing items. Perhaps it varies by location/region.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:01 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
In my area, Goodwill has quickly gone from mediocre to pretty much awful.

The inventory of useful/needed items has gotten to be nearly non-existent, and the price of the stuff
they do carry, wow.

I guess if you are a hoarder who is into buying worthless nicknacks like stuffed-animals or
dolls to overfill your house with, you are in luck.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:05 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
In my area, Goodwill has quickly gone from mediocre to pretty much awful.

The inventory of useful/needed items has gotten to be nearly non-existent, and the price of the stuff
they do carry, wow.

I guess if you are a hoarder who is into buying worthless nicknacks like stuffed-animals or
dolls to overfill your house with, you are in luck.
Not the case here. You can still get some really good finds...especially furniture, housewares, and of course clothes. I will agree that the prices aren't as bargain basement as they used to be.

Does anyone else have Arc thrift stores where they are? There are several near where I live outside Denver and I find they are just as good as Goodwill but usually with even better bargains.

Savers was another decent one we had when I lived in Phoenix, but unfortunately they don't have those in CO.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:50 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
So, if Goodwill isn't hiring "the handicapped" (I mean, they do have to be able to run a cash register and handle merchandise), who are they hiring? Because I see signs advertising getting "a second chance" with Goodwill. I actually think it'd be fun to work there; most of the customers seem to be having a great time picking through all the "treasures."
There are behind-the-scenes work areas that the public never sees. They're sorting the items, keeping an eye out for donations that could be valuable (artworks, jewelry, antiques). Some of these work stations are not in heated buildings. I know this because a friend of mine who needed to get back into the workforce and took a course from GW was offered a job by them, and she ended up working in a cage (to deter theft?) in an unheated warehouse with several Chinese women who didn't speak English. These were the only people who would work for the low wage offered. My friend probably was offered more, because, having English language skills, she was able to do internet research to help determine which items had value, and what their value was. The immediate supervisor was from the local Chinese community.

They each had been given a space heater at their desk in winter. The work environment sounded insufferably depressing. The supervisor bullied the Chinese women, who were meek, and didn't know anything about workers' rights. Eventually my friend was able to get some changes made by standing up to the supervisor, and also taking advantage of a change at the next level of supervisory staff.

I heard the same statement about CEO pay and luxuries that others have posted here. Some of this executive pay clearly is coming at the expense of the rank-and-file workers. That's just wrong.

Old 01-07-2024, 03:49 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
It seems like almost every day (I guess people are decluttering as their New Year's resolutions) I see posted on Facebook or NextDoor, "Where can I donate things that ISN'T Goodwill?" Why all the hate? I've heard the rumor that the higher ups are greedy and don't pay employees enough (whatever), but to me, it's like "I won't set foot in Walmart because of slave labor." Well, okay, justice warrior, but you're only hurting your OWN pocketbook there. Personally, I love my Goodwill and - although prices have increased, like everywhere else - I still find great stuff there and save tons over buying new. It's like it's become the thing to announce that you won't support them. I also notice that "free" sites on social media seem to be gaining ground, and I worry that this will hurt not only Goodwill but local thrift shops on which needy charities depend for their contributions.

I have not read any of this thread. But, I donate to Goodwill. However, I have donated quite a lot to people who lost everything in wildfires. I also donate more valuable items to the Cat Adoption Team that they sell and obviously use for rescue cats.

I think what people mean is that they have more valuable items they would like to know where they end up in more appropriate scenario. I use Goodwill for large items and items that are more worn, but, not by any stretch garbage. I use CAT for new, smaller, more high value items. Some items that Goodwill will just throw out. I had a ton of unused makeup that was still new-ish and some lady on NextDoor was askiing for it for her 14 year old daughter. I mean why not? I found something that works better for my old eyes, yet I had loaded up on what I had previously used and there is practically nowhere that will take a donation of even new unused makeup.

People are looking for a variety of ways to get goods to the most appropriate end user. I would not read so much negativity into the whole thing.

I did a lot of decluttering over two years. I still have that closet and some 4 high file cabinets. I am careful not to buy anything that is not a consumable.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
There is a "special" rack in the front of Goodwills with higher priced items. A leather coat with tags still attached, for instance, that should and does sell for more than the usual $7. Wedding gowns, etc. I guess I neglected to specify that. It might be $12 or $20. It's still a great value for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living