Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 04:11 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
In my area, Goodwill has quickly gone from mediocre to pretty much awful.

The inventory of useful/needed items has gotten to be nearly non-existent...
Well, when everyone boycotts it because of CEO-envy or some such nonsense, what do you expect?

They depend on donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 04:16 PM

7,478 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, when everyone boycotts it because of CEO-envy or some such nonsense, what do you expect?

Could they perhaps have less donations because people have less money and less purchasing mistakes?

Also, it is a well known fact that Resellers hit Goodwill and devour anything of value that fits their criteria. We run the risk of donations being sucked up by a business owner and sold for a profit (so, it is not getting to the intended end user). Watch a few YouTube videos with people that do this for a living (a living that exceeds six figures a year).

Old 01-07-2024, 05:07 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:

I don't think it's CEO "envy", more like disgust. They depend on donated merchandise so the CEO can bank $500K+ a year? Sounds like a dirty business model to me, on the thrift store side of things. I also run a business but I have to buy supplies and materials to operate it. Nothing is donated for me to profit from.

I boycotted them for years because of this. Lately I've stopped in if I'm on the hunt for something in particular, though they are last on my list when I'm out thrifting. I was there today and saw the same employees that were working there a year ago, and one is in a wheelchair...so I'll give them some credit for creating jobs that must not suck too bad, based on seeing the same workers there.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:20 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I don't think it's CEO "envy", more like disgust. They depend on donated merchandise so the CEO can bank $500K+ a year? Sounds like a dirty business model to me, on the thrift store side of things. I also run a business but I have to buy supplies and materials to operate it. Nothing is donated for me to profit from.

I boycotted them for years because of this. Lately I've stopped in if I'm on the hunt for something in particular, though they are last on my list when I'm out thrifting. I was there today and saw the same employees that were working there a year ago, and one is in a wheelchair...so I'll give them some credit for creating jobs that must not suck too bad, based on seeing the same workers there.
Looking at the 2022 tax return for Goodwill of Houston, total revenues were $192 million, which doesn't include the value of donated items estimated at $80 million. It operates 45 stores and employs over 2,000 people. The CEO makes $900k per year, which is not unreasonable for an organization of that size.

There is no obligation for employees of non-profits to make below market salaries.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:24 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
I donate to the Purple Heart Foundation. They're mission is to help military veterans and their families. I'm ok if the Foundation's officers benefit financially from donations, as long as the Foundation's mission is fulfilled. I'd rather the Foundation have well-paid, competent officers than underpaid, underachieving officers.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:28 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
They're all different I've noticed, even within a single city. There was one in Tucson that had this horrible, very angry manager that thoroughly enjoyed berating, arguing and even screaming at the customers. Really, she should have been in deep therapy, not in a Goodwill manager position. I only went once, it was awful. The other store was as pleasant as could be. People told me she had been there for years. Probably like a government job, they have to die to be replaced.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:34 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It is very convenient and easy to donate to Goodwill. People don’t like that they are a for profit business. If you don’t like it, don’t donate.

My understanding is that they pay otherwise unemployable people. If so, great.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:58 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

No! I dropped a package off for an employee. Silk PJ's and matching shorts/jacket. New. Her colors and size. Bow and note on the package. She was really nice to me when I had loads of donations and was getting together with a gentleman who treated her right. The local manager confiscated it off her desk and his wife bragged on FB.

She was by no means "unemployable" but out of the work force while taking care of a spouse with terminal cancer.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is very convenient and easy to donate to Goodwill. People don’t like that they are a for profit business. If you don’t like it, don’t donate.

My understanding is that they pay otherwise unemployable people. If so, great.
Goodwill is a nonprofit organization.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:06 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
We donated a fair amount to Goodwill over the past year. It's the closest donation center to us and usually it's just easier to donate an item than it is to list it for a paltry amount and try to find a buyer for it. Even giving stuff away can be a hassle. Someone might put dibs on your item and then never come by to pick it up.

Our Goodwill seems to be well run, I have both donated and shopped there and never had a problem.

If they choose to place an item on Goodwill.com and they want to deal with the logistics of selling and shipping it - more power to them. I do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living