Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 11:13 AM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm currently technically challenged - it seems it's almost impossible to take a trip without a "smart" phone and multiple apps - but if I ever figure it out, I'll be off and running. My fiscal policy has always been to "save it here to spend it there," and vacations are where I spend freely. Mind you, I won't WASTE money even there; I'll choose the cheapest mode of transportation and accommodations that will still make for a pleasant experience and be judicious about meals/food (free breakfast is a great perk, and a grocery store nearby helps), and my days of buying silly souvenirs are over, but I would never NOT travel just because it costs me money. That and ultimately moving to the beach are what I worked and saved for.
You can take a trip without a smartphone. People do it all the time. It will be less convenient like the old days but entirely possible. The longer you wait to do things the greater the odds that your health will decline and the opportunity gone. This applies to everyone but especially seniors of which I am one. It’s one reason I started to travel at 44 after my kids were grown. I didn’t want to have regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 03:32 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I am planning my first real trip in years for this Christmas to Costa Rica with my daughter. Although we will look for deals on flights and hotel or airbnb, it is something we are looking forward to and willing to spend money on. We decided upon it last year when because of circumstance, my daughter had nowhere to go. I thought she would see her dad, but he could not have her there because of his gf's illness, which required her to stay away from people. (Daughter did end up having dinner with a couple of work friends.)

My Christmas was taking care of my incapacitated, dying partner. We realized that with my mother gone since 2020, other family illnesses and deaths and moves and my boyfriend's passing, we likely do not have any more nice Christmases to look forward to and would avoid the whole mess of feeling sad about the holidays this year by taking a trip!

Hey, some people spend megabucks on gifts every December. We are choosing to give ourselves a vacation. Neither of us buy tchotchkes and she does not eat meat or drink alcohol, so expenses should be minimal.

I am 65 in two weeks, and with the people I care about getting sick and dying left and right every time I turn around, I figure I shouldn't put off traveling.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-16-2023 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 06:33 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
You're lucky to have a daughter to travel with/spend a new version of Christmas with.

Enjoy!

Last edited by otterhere; 07-16-2023 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 06:40 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am planning my first real trip in years for this Christmas to Costa Rica with my daughter. Although we will look for deals on flights and hotel or airbnb, it is something we are looking forward to and willing to spend money on. We decided upon it last year when because of circumstance, my daughter had nowhere to go. I thought she would see her dad, but he could not have her there because of his gf's illness, which required her to stay away from people. (Daughter did end up having dinner with a couple of work friends.)

My Christmas was taking care of my incapacitated, dying partner. We realized that with my mother gone since 2020, other family illnesses and deaths and moves and my boyfriend's passing, we likely do not have any more nice Christmases to look forward to and would avoid the whole mess of feeling sad about the holidays this year by taking a trip!

Hey, some people spend megabucks on gifts every December. We are choosing to give ourselves a vacation. Neither of us buy tchotchkes and she does not eat meat or drink alcohol, so expenses should be minimal.

I am 65 in two weeks, and with the people I care about getting sick and dying left and right every time I turn around, I figure I shouldn't put off traveling.
A fun, adventurous experience with your daughter -- the best Christmas present!

Old 07-16-2023, 07:08 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're lucky to have a daughter to travel with/spend a new version of Christmas with.

Enjoy!
Thank you. I am very lucky to have a daughter and one with whom I have a good relationship.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:55 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Mighty queen, after the past year you deserve a wonderful trip with your daughter. My kids are one of my biggest joys also.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. I am very lucky to have a daughter and one with whom I have a good relationship.
Have a wonderful time! Vacations at 65 with people you love, worth every penny.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:45 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I'm in my early 70's and take a lot of vacations. Most times I don't spend much money. Rarely am I disappointed. I just got back from 11 days in Alaska and the entire trip cost me about $1900. Single largest expense was car rental at $1600 (split 2 ways). I used frequent flyer miles for the flights from NC......saving $1600. Tent camped all over, from the Artic Circle, Denali and down to Seward....total cost of around $125. Spent the rest of the money on good food, drink and a $300 boat excursion out past Resurrection Bay. Best part of the trip....hanging out with the locals and swapping stories!
This week headed up to Norwalk, Ohio for the Pontiac Nationals...probably won't cost me $500 (unless I purchase some rare parts). In addition to the car show, I'll spend some time at Cuyahoga Valley National Park doing some hiking and maybe climbing if the opportunity presents itself.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:39 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
The main reason for a vacation some times is just a chance to get out of the house for a little while. And it doesn't matter how far you go. This past weekend was my wife's birthday. Because of an arthritic hip and other health problems, she can't handle a long ride in a car. But she wanted to do something to get out of the house. So we got a hotel room about 30 miles from home. There are two large lakes near where this hotel is located and is a huge vacation spot. But we had a nice room, with an inside pool for her to walk in. We took a trip to another town so she could do a little shopping (I push her in her wheelchair), then back to rest. She loved it. But before all her health problems, we are centrally located for places to go for a quick vacation. We're a couple hours from Nashville, Tennessee, and 4+hours from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in eastern Tennesee. We're also a couple hours from St. Louis. You can always find a place to "vacation" close to home that won't cost a fortune.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:53 AM

826 posts, read 864,415 times
If there's something that i don't mind spending some money, it's a good vacation trip. It can be good for your health. A really nice trip will last for the rest of your life in your memories.

Of course it has to be something decently planned to maximize the benefits and minimize the costs. Don't need to be that kind of tourist who doesn't care about spending his money in insanely overpriced stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living