Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 11:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then don't do that. DUH.
Sounds like someone needs a vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 03:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I live in a state with great state parks and enjoy the occasional getaway there. It's an easy, short drive; a change of scenery; a really nice bed, tub, and balcony (none of which I have in my current home); it's in the woods; usually a pool, fireplace, or some other amenity; good food in the dining room; and great hiking trails. I take a book and some wine and don't use radio, TV, or device. With my employee discount, I get three days and two nights at a "destination" for well under $200 total. If I go with others and we share a cabin, it's even less. Granted, that's not visiting my relatives 1k miles away or enjoying the beach 800 miles away, both of which would cost thousands (and be worth it to me; I plan to do these, as well), but it's a break from the mundane, and I find it refreshes me.
otterhere, that sounds absolutely wonderful to me. I have a "family obligation" road trip next month and you've inspired me to see if I can work in a state park peaceful getaway on the way home.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:00 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I've traveled the world and continue to do so. Its expensive but when is anything awesome cheap?

2023 so far:

Snowmobiling in Wyoming after ridiculous snowfall

San Diego/Coronado

Next up Germany, Switzerland, Italy.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:09 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Sounds like someone needs a vacation!
Yeah - that guy, apparently.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Then surely YOU realize that too, right?
Clearly I do. Apparently the OP does not. That was my point, which you apparently missed.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
And maybe you should not post rude, unhelpful responses.
Maybe check the mirror.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I live in a state with great state parks and enjoy the occasional getaway there. ... With my employee discount, I get three days and two nights at a "destination" for well under $200 total. ... Granted, that's not visiting my relatives 1k miles away or enjoying the beach 800 miles away, both of which would cost thousands (and be worth it to me; I plan to do these, as well), but it's a break from the mundane, and I find it refreshes me.
Quote:
With my employee discount,
, do tell.

I'm glad your vacations / visits to family refresh you. Take many trips to do that, while you're able.

Hopefully you can do for less than 'thousands $,$$$'

A long weekend with flight usually costs me under $500 (including rental car, airfare, food and lodging. and entertainment).

Old 03-30-2023, 04:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Former government employee. It also applies to teachers and retirees.

I haven't been to visit my family yet.

I don't know where you "weekend," but that's pretty cheap, considering.

Could you itemize that for us?

Old 03-30-2023, 05:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I'm a single person and it can be around $2,000 for me to take a 5-7 day vacation. ....
Here you go, free travel (someone who's done it for you, and provided a nice journal!)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65078939-post1.html

Here is another C-D poster with some excellent travel blogs. (There are many) LookinforMayberry
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2023 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 05:19 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
I don't regret a single dollar that I've spent on travel in my life. When I'm on my death bed and looking back on my life, I'm going to relish all of the great memories of the vacations I've taken. I don't care that I could have have upgraded the curtains in a room.

When I talk to my friends, we often talk about how fast time moves, especially as you get older. I've studied this and found something interesting about it. We tend to get stuck in our everyday routines, so one day is pretty similar to another. Eventually, the days start to merge together in my memory. But, if you travel and encounter new experiences, those new experiences enrich your life and get you out of the everyday routine. Each day on vacation is a new experience and a way to break out of the mold and time seems to pass more slowly. It doesn't even have to be a vacation - learning to play a musical instrument or a foreign language has a similar effect.

I've never been a high earner, so many of my vacations were camping trips. You can do it on the cheap if you're determined. When I retire, I want to build out a camper van so I don't have to worry about motel rooms and I can keep traveling on a modest budget. Fortunately, I don't think I'll ever run out of places to visit in the U.S. and Canada.

One way to get a "free" place to stay if you love dogs/cats is to register on TrustedHousitters.com. As of today, there are 727 openings in California, so you can find a place to housesit in almost any part of the state. Most of the houses look pretty nice (nicer than my home).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living