Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2023, 05:27 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

I've always had this fantasy:

Show up at a busy airport and book a flight to anywhere you can get to. After a few days, do it again!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 05:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I spend my money according to Garfield.

When his owner showed up in some crazy miss maxed plaid suit and tie. The caption from Garfield was:
"What some people would rather have than money."

So I look at bigger expenses, esp, a vacation, a car, a $300 'something'.
Would I rather have THAT or the hard cold cash.
Sometimes it's one, sometimes the other.
PS.. now have a big savings...where friends do not, cuz they wanted ''the thing'' over the cash.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I live in a state with great state parks and enjoy the occasional getaway there. It's an easy, short drive; a change of scenery; a really nice bed, tub, and balcony (none of which I have in my current home); it's in the woods; usually a pool, fireplace, or some other amenity; good food in the dining room; and great hiking trails. I take a book and some wine and don't use radio, TV, or device. With my employee discount, I get three days and two nights at a "destination" for well under $200 total. If I go with others and we share a cabin, it's even less. Granted, that's not visiting my relatives 1k miles away or enjoying the beach 800 miles away, both of which would cost thousands (and be worth it to me; I plan to do these, as well), but it's a break from the mundane, and I find it refreshes me.
I like a variety of travel options. I am doing a cheap weekend bike trip through the local community college tomorrow and am hoping to do some weekend trips to interesting destinations in nearby states over the summer. I have CC hotel points that give a “points plus cash” option that is quite reasonable for a lot of these destinations near me that aren’t like the super touristy ones.

I agree that all travel can be valuable. You don’t need to do a $20K trip to Antarctica to have a good experience. I am totally ok driving an hour or two on a weekend for a day trip just to see something a little different than the norm.

Last year I didn’t do many weekend trips because I also like to go see plays and musicals. With the two-year shutdown from the pandemic, I found a lot a wanted to see last year and spent most of my short trip travel money on that instead of local weekend trips.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:48 AM

464 posts, read 313,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I much much prefer spending my "experience budget" on restaurants compared to vacations. You can go to restaurants on vacations, yeah, but there are so many other costs. And I don't like living out of a suitcase and not sleeping in my own bed.
Not me. I hate going to restaurants in America because the tipping culture is out of control and they always try to play the guilt trip game on you. Like at a dinner for two people, the restaurant already added an 18% surcharge. But then the waitress hands over the iPad and right in front of her I have to select among 20% tip, 25% tip, 30% tip, or no tip.

In other countries, there is no tipping. The service is still good. And I enjoy the experience more.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:10 AM

464 posts, read 313,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Let me add a little to my original post. I think traveling overseas for cultural experiences and new countries can be worth it. But for example, a vacation to Florida or cruise or all inclusive Mexico beach vacation seems like a waste. So like this year we are planning a family vacation to Florida for 6 days. I would much rather just visit my family for a long weekend and go boating at my brothers lake and do basically the same thing for free. Or last year a took a "boys trip" to Denver with some friends. All we did was drink at bars the whole time and cost me about 1K. Really wasn't worth it at all to me even though I don't see them often anymore.
Durpie, those don't sound like fun to me, either. But maybe you haven't taken the right vacations. How about staying on the Grand Canal in Venice (Italy) or seeing the Mona Lisa with your very own eyes? Have you tried ancient Egypt or playing with elephants in Chiang Mai?

Old 04-07-2023, 02:11 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
Not me. I hate going to restaurants in America because the tipping culture is out of control and they always try to play the guilt trip game on you. Like at a dinner for two people, the restaurant already added an 18% surcharge. But then the waitress hands over the iPad and right in front of her I have to select among 20% tip, 25% tip, 30% tip, or no tip.

In other countries, there is no tipping. The service is still good. And I enjoy the experience more.
It's annoying but with an 18% tip already added select no further tip. Simple.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post

Many of the best restaurants are outside of America where you don't have to deal with this...

Old 04-07-2023, 03:41 PM

160 posts, read 94,139 times
[quote=harry chickpea;65014130]We are, in part, the sum of our experiences. The hidebound parochialism of living an entire life in a small town, with no challenges to ideas or lifestyles, is a life not lived. Echo chambers are all too common these days and IME dangerous not only to the individual but to society. Vacations that educate and provide exposure to the real world have a particular value.

Other vacations, particularly tourist trap vacations, might stimulate kids but have much less continuing value.

Traveling north to Knoxville area, we got to see what most people do when they think of vacation. Starting at Gatlinburg and through Pigeon Forge, the road was more like Coney Island and designed to suck money.

/QUOTE]

And that was the mistake! You should have left Gatlinburg and driven the scenic route through the National Park on Hwy 441 following the river over to Townsend, Tennessee--the quiet side of the Smokies! You could have also ventured to Cades Cove to see the natural beauty and wildlife. Next time avoid the route from Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge--I always say Pigeon Forge is the Myrtle Beach of Tennessee. If you stay in Townsend (just expect a hotel/motel not a resort) you can always venture over to PF or Gatlinburg for a day via the Wears Valley Road, a very curvy scenic road that joins Townsend to Pigeon Forge.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
It's annoying but with an 18% tip already added select no further tip. Simple.
But they're counting on the customer "feeling guilty" and tipping again -- and they do!

Old 04-08-2023, 02:10 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
[quote=utvolfan;65116197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We are, in part, the sum of our experiences. The hidebound parochialism of living an entire life in a small town, with no challenges to ideas or lifestyles, is a life not lived. Echo chambers are all too common these days and IME dangerous not only to the individual but to society. Vacations that educate and provide exposure to the real world have a particular value.

Other vacations, particularly tourist trap vacations, might stimulate kids but have much less continuing value.

Traveling north to Knoxville area, we got to see what most people do when they think of vacation. Starting at Gatlinburg and through Pigeon Forge, the road was more like Coney Island and designed to suck money.

/QUOTE]

And that was the mistake! You should have left Gatlinburg and driven the scenic route through the National Park on Hwy 441 following the river over to Townsend, Tennessee--the quiet side of the Smokies! You could have also ventured to Cades Cove to see the natural beauty and wildlife. Next time avoid the route from Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge--I always say Pigeon Forge is the Myrtle Beach of Tennessee. If you stay in Townsend (just expect a hotel/motel not a resort) you can always venture over to PF or Gatlinburg for a day via the Wears Valley Road, a very curvy scenic road that joins Townsend to Pigeon Forge.
Been there, done that. I agree 100% that it is beautiful (more so later in the season). I liked the old shay locomotive and RR exhibit in Townsend. Also, the dulcimer shop is a nice change from touristy stuff. I found it sad that the national park service had kicked the farmers out of the cove. That land will revert to scrub forest and be nothing like it was during the historical period they are trying to preserve. Dumb move, IMO.

I wanted to see the Pigeon Forge area for myself. Stopped at the old mill and got some flour and herbs but had to walk out of the restaurant there because of the excessive noise from herds of tourists. I have sensitive ears and cannot handle that amount of noise.

The route wasn't a mistake, but is unlikely to be on future agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living