Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 09:06 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't see how NYC is "pretty connected" to DC though. In what ways? It's over 4 hours between the 2 regions. Again, it really just comes down to this Amtrak/Acela connection.

I completely agree with you that there are well-defined and connected regions (Tri-state, DMV, New England). But it's a big stretch to say these different regions are "connected" (depending on how that's being defined). There just isn't a tangible connection outside of the local region.
There are 26 daily trains from NYC to DC. There's some sort of connection between the people that live in both cities. I know it stings ,but yes, DC is more than just a southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You wrote a lot, but in the end, you still haven’t convinced me how this region is “connected.” I grew up in Maryland, and in1 no way felt connected to anyone outside of the DMV. Wow....being able to “commute” from 4DC to NYC on a bi-weekly basis, whatever that means. Or going to 2Boston every other month (like someone in any other region of the country can). 3 Doesn’t speak to any significance of this BosWash corridor “region,” other than on CD.

It’s still nothing more than a bunch of train stops on the Acela.
1Maybe you should've gotten out more?
2. Living in OC, I could go to Big Bear every other month . You could also do the same, even from Chicago. But, I'm more connected to Big Bear than you are.
3.Google is your friend.
4.As I mentioned earlier, 26 daily trains between the two, yeah, that's pretty connected no? Looks like close to 300 daily flights from NYC to DC/Baltimore? Kind of a lot? Not sure how many people make the drive. You literally could make a day trip as I've done frequently.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 07-25-2021 at 09:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Providence, yes; Richmond, no. I'd say it runs from northern Virginia to southern New Hampshire, as these are partly included in the DC and Boston metro areas, respectively.
I agree with this. Draw a line from NoVa to Baltimore to Philly to NYC with a split line to Hartford and Providence, meeting again in southern NH. That’s the Boswash.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There are 26 daily trains from NYC to DC. There's some sort of connection between the people that live in both cities. I know it stings ,but yes, DC is more than just a southern city.
Modcut: Discuss the topic, not other posters.

The DC-NYC-PHL corridor is among the most connected megalopolises in the entire Western Hemisphere. There are more NY/NJ vehicle tags riding around our local streets than anywhere outside of the NE. If I left my house right now and drove around the city for 2 hours, there's a guarantee that I'll see no less than 10-15 NY or NJ license plates (probably more) before I come back to the house.

Acela obviously isn't enough of connection either since the planning for Maglev trains between DC-NYC is already in the works.

https://northeastmaglev.com/?gclid=C...BoCCP0QAvD_BwE

Last edited by JMT; 07-26-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 07:45 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
It's on the southern edge of the megalopolis. Some people could be picking up on that, because places on the edge of anywhere are a little different than places in the center of it all. They get part of the influence from elsewhere that isn't apparent the further to the center you go.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:48 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
Didn't realize it was fabled.
Boston to D.C. and most everything in between is what I think of.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:25 AM

154 posts, read 115,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are more NY/NJ vehicle tags riding around our local streets than anywhere outside of the NE.
Yea been finding lots of former tri-state residents around this area, especially in MD.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Modcut: Discuss the topic, not other posters.

The DC-NYC-PHL corridor is among the most connected megalopolises in the entire Western Hemisphere. There are more NY/NJ vehicle tags riding around our local streets than anywhere outside of the NE. If I left my house right now and drove around the city for 2 hours, there's a guarantee that I'll see no less than 10-15 NY or NJ license plates (probably more) before I come back to the house.

Acela obviously isn't enough of connection either since the planning for Maglev trains between DC-NYC is already in the works.

https://northeastmaglev.com/?gclid=C...BoCCP0QAvD_BwE
I'm not saying it's as connected as Dallas to Ft. Worth, but yea, NYC and DC are connected for a multitude of reasons and there's actually evidence. 26 daily trains, 100s of flights, but yeah, they got nothing to do with each other because anyone can visit Boston semi-monthly? Just reaching at this point.

Noticed that line was called the "Northeast" DC to NYC, and hopefully Boston someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Didn't realize it was fabled.
Boston to D.C. and most everything in between is what I think of.
So that strict? Just Boston to DC?

Last edited by JMT; 07-26-2021 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If Richmond is included, there's no reason why Hampton Roads shouldn't. Both, along with DC and Baltimore, are Chesapeake Bay metropolitan areas so it's not a stretch to include the exclusively Virginian metros.
Reasonable take imo. Richmond to DC is easy travelin.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's as connected as Dallas to Ft. Worth, but yea, NYC and DC are connected for a multitude of reasons and there's actually evidence. 26 daily trains, 100s of flights, but yeah, they got nothing to do with each other because anyone can visit Boston semi-monthly? Just reaching at this point.

Noticed that line was called the "Northeast" DC to NYC, and hopefully Boston someday.

So that strict? Just Boston to DC?
Not to mention Megabus, Bolt Bus, Peter Pan, Vamoose from NOVA to NYC, the NYC-DC-Philly Chinatown bus, etc. etc. etc.

Currently in the middle (or back end) of a pandemic, if you Google "DC to NYC bus", there's at minimum of 5 buses an hour leaving from city center to city center. Yet there's only some silly "Acela" connection.

And yes that Northeast Maglev company is actually based in Baltimore, and at the moment only is focusing on the first leg(s) that would go up to NYC... The ultimate goal is to expand the entire route to Boston, but who knows how long that would take.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-26-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.