Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 03:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston and DC are most similar in scale, cleanliness, education, and gentrification of all the big 5 cities. The workforce/lifestyle/wealth is very comparable.

Baltimore and Boston share that aquatic/seafaring/cuisine albeit with regional differences.

All these connections are really obvious to me.
Lol you can say the same about Boston and Seattle, and they are 3000 miles apart and not at all in the same Megalopolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Lol you can say the same about Boston and Seattle, and they are 3000 miles apart and not at all in the same Megalopolis.
Boston and DC are definitely the bookends of the Megalopolis on opposite ends of the spectrum, with the NYC area being the central median in between.

But it's a bit more than what you've explained. The NE/Mid-Atlantic share commonalities from university graduates or current students, to day trip/vacation destinations, and still albeit it pretty far from DC to Boston (about 50 miles further than LA to SF), there are some who do some frequent commuting back and forth etc. There are still shuttle flights DCA-Logan as well as train/bus connections. Boston receives most of the NIH funding based in the DC suburbs. The DC and Boston, as well as Philadelphia regions also share a big life sciences research commonality with each of the three being among the leaders in the nation there.

Boston Properties is a major big time REIT/developer in the DC suburbs, there are countless large scale developments they have either open or under construction. etc.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-28-2021 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 04:32 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Boston and DC are definitely the bookends of the Megalopolis on opposite ends of the spectrum, with the NYC area being the central median in between.

But it's a bit more than what you've explained. The NE/Mid-Atlantic share commonalities from university graduates or current students, to day trip/vacation destinations, and still albeit it pretty far from DC to Boston (about 50 miles further than LA to SF), there are some who do some frequent commuting back and forth etc. There are still shuttle flights DCA-Logan as well as train/bus connections. Boston receives most of the NIH funding based in the DC suburbs. The DC and Boston, as well as Philadelphia regions also share a big life sciences research commonality with each of the three being among the leaders in the nation there.

Boston Properties is a major big time REIT/developer in the DC suburbs, there are countless large scale developments they have either open or under construction. etc.
And if you did a census of US financial firms, you'd probably find the greatest number of them
in the Northeast Corridor. Especially in NYC or nearby, but in the other Northeastern cities too.
For example, the headquarters of three of the biggest mutual-fund organizations:
T. Rowe Price in Baltimore,
Vanguard near Philly,
Fidelity in Boston.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 4,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
What do you mean by this my friend? That Boston and DC have no relations?

Old 07-28-2021, 07:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
And if you did a census of US financial firms, you'd probably find the greatest number of them
in the Northeast Corridor. Especially in NYC or nearby, but in the other Northeastern cities too.
For example, the headquarters of three of the biggest mutual-fund organizations:
T. Rowe Price in Baltimore,
Vanguard near Philly,
Fidelity in Boston.
Yep. Not to mention ING group NA headquarters operations based in Wilmington, DE etc.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:15 AM

385 posts, read 400,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree with this take. Although it would irk many Philadelphians to admit, the NYC-Philadelphia core is the most "synergistic" of BosWash and both cities effectively comprise a combined urban area at this point. This economic geography map (dated 2016) is pretty telling of the "on the ground" conditions.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0166083
I agree 1,000 %. They are so close to each other. Census results over the years and definitions and zones constantly released are always showing overlapping in everything. Someone said it best. NYC is the biggest city in the country and one of the biggest in the world and there is a city that is similar to it within 100 miles and has enough energy to not notice.

With New Jersey being in the middle everything is bound to overlap the way it does. Two weeks ago went to NYC at like 1 o'clock in the afternoon...left NYC at 2:53am via Amtrak got to Philly at 4:21 and got home in bed before 5am. That train was pretty full as usual. I've been to NY numerous times for fun, friends, shows and etc and i can do all that within a day. You get the best of both worlds within a hour from each other.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:42 AM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
I lived the first 40 years of my life in the corridor between Mass, CT, and DC/NoVA. Fredericksburg, VA to Newburyport, MA and then a judgment call of 25 to 50 miles west of I-95. You can take commuter rail this entire distance except for 20 miles between Perryville, MD and Newark, DE and 40 miles between New London, CT and Wickford Junction, RI.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:41 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
I agree 1,000 %. They are so close to each other. Census results over the years and definitions and zones constantly released are always showing overlapping in everything. Someone said it best. NYC is the biggest city in the country and one of the biggest in the world and there is a city that is similar to it within 100 miles and has enough energy to not notice.

With New Jersey being in the middle everything is bound to overlap the way it does. Two weeks ago went to NYC at like 1 o'clock in the afternoon...left NYC at 2:53am via Amtrak got to Philly at 4:21 and got home in bed before 5am. That train was pretty full as usual. I've been to NY numerous times for fun, friends, shows and etc and i can do all that within a day. You get the best of both worlds within a hour from each other.
You can get from the Main Line suburbs in Philly to NY Penn in 2 hours. Ardmore departing 6:31am. NY Penn at 8:30am. There are lots of Philly people who work in Manhattan. It’s a 10 minute walk from Rittenhouse Square to 30th Street Station. Acela is an hour & 20 minutes. The regional trains are 10 to 15 minutes longer ride if you’re not on expense report.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
I commuted the Acela for about a year from Manhattan to Center City. Took the 725 - reached 33rd street station at 845; 10 minute to walk to the center city office, at my desk by 9. Easy. Tons of commuters in both directions.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:56 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Which cities does it consist of? Any room for debate? Or is it just the Boswash corridor? Does it include Providence or Richmond?
I would include Toronto in the northwestern edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.