Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 PM

94,158 posts, read 125,007,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Where are White Plains, New Rochelle and Yonkers?
They are just north of NYC and are definitely within the corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 03:51 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,417,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This doesn't make good sense. Springfield is 21 miles from Hartford. Both are on the CT river, Springfield is larger, and CTRail has stops in New Haven Hartford, and Springfield. At the absolute least Springfield neds to be a satellite city, not fringe. It's much larger than all the cities in the Fringe category.

More reasonably if Springfield is a satellite city then so is Hartford.
It’s more than 50 miles to the Acela line. Beyond rational commuting distance from an Acela city. Fringe. Besides, who would want to claim Springfield? It’s economically insignificant and would die without massive state subsidies.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:56 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,694,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtay_south View Post
What do you mean by this my friend? That Boston and DC have no relations?
Yea odd. I mean it’s the boswash corridor

Old 08-06-2021, 09:36 PM

79 posts, read 43,576 times
How come Norristown, and Camden wasn't included? Norristown is only 20min via 76, and Camden is literally walking distance over that bridge. Lol or Patco!! I know they're small cities, just saying. I think anything that's darn near 2 hours away can't be included. Harrisburg is just too far away! They're in their own metro hub, and not connected by 95. Thx for the invite Gaylord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Not to mention Megabus, Bolt Bus, Peter Pan, Vamoose from NOVA to NYC, the NYC-DC-Philly Chinatown bus, etc. etc. etc.
Not sure about the Vamoose. But I know of the others. I used to hop on the Chinatown buses heavy. Haha they would be in competition with each other trying to sale those tickets on 11th st. Lol they're way cheaper than grey hound around the corner. Megabus even cheaper. Interesting Amtrak is going maglev? But aren't the tracks too curvy for it, and can't sustain true high speed as it is on the current Acela. She can barely stretch her legs as it is from PHL to NYC. That's why that fool derailed some years back. Speaking of trains, I used to see Marc trains at 30th st station from the Newark/Wilmington line. I had no idea where they were from. Lol I used to get so confused. Until I found out Septa needed them because of down Silver liner V's. Had major problems at that time. Smh. There may have been other reasons too, but I don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree with this take. Although it would irk many Philadelphians to admit, the NYC-Philadelphia core is the most "synergistic" of BosWash and both cities effectively comprise a combined urban area at this point. This economic geography map (dated 2016) is pretty telling of the "on the ground" conditions.
It doesn't bother me. We thrive by ourselves, but a lot of NYers come down this end. They love Philly on the dL. Both cities sit in the core of it all. They like the, "less crowded more space but still city life". We're just 24hrs on a much much smaller scale than they're used too. Lolol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would include Toronto in the northwestern edge.
Whose man's is this?

Old 04-18-2024, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 405 times
The northeast megaregion can be divided into three subregions: New England, the Mid-Atlantic north, and the Mid-Atlantic south. New England is Portland, ME, Boston, Providence, RI, and CT. The Mid-Atlantic north is NYC, New Jersey, Philly, and Wilmington, DE. The Mid-Atlantic south is Baltimore, DC, and NoVa.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:13 PM

611 posts, read 294,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaniel29 View Post
The northeast megaregion can be divided into three subregions: New England, the Mid-Atlantic north, and the Mid-Atlantic south. New England is Portland, ME, Boston, Providence, RI, and CT. The Mid-Atlantic north is NYC, New Jersey, Philly, and Wilmington, DE. The Mid-Atlantic south is Baltimore, DC, and NoVa.
But a very prominent artery, maybe the biggest and densest goes from DC to Boston?

Old 04-19-2024, 04:27 AM

2,872 posts, read 2,329,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaniel29 View Post
Yeah, as a rough approximation that seems basically true. Although in practice it's more like a spectrum. The NE/MA divide seems more tangible given the slight geography separation and distinct NE Identity. The Mid-Atlantic divide is a little harder to define. Conceptually I get it given the slight Northeast/border state divide. But in practice, Wilmington De is far more like Baltimore than New York City.

Old 04-19-2024, 11:00 AM

611 posts, read 294,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The "fabled" Bos-Wash corridor is nothing more than an Acela route, and in the real-world (outside of C-D) has no real meaning or impact (it truly is a "fable"). Someone in a suburb outside of Boston has zero connection with someone in Arlington, VA.

These are different regions in different states with different cultures. They are simply stops on the Amtrak/Acela route, nothing more nothing less.

It would feel different and probably have more real-world meaning if it were located in an analogous region on the west coast (i.e. California) where you are essentially in one state/region with similar culture.

But as it is, this "fabled" region is simply the stops on an Amtrak route.
I"m not sure about "zero connection." I think they tend to attend the same schools, alot of DC kids go to school in Boston and vice versa. They're both have relationships to NYC and Philly. Lots of cross pollinazation.

As a Texan who loves his sports, when we talked about the "east coast media" not paying attention to our teams, that was basically the BosWash corridor.

**Edit, someone mentioned Pittsburgh. I don't consider that to be a part of the megalopolis

Old 04-19-2024, 12:10 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
There a ton of movement between Boston and DC . Nowhere in the Northeast Megalopolis is really that detached for professional educational or even entertainment purposes. You’ll end up going to all of them one way or another..more than once.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:21 PM

14,106 posts, read 15,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There a ton of movement between Boston and DC . Nowhere in the Northeast Megalopolis is really that detached for professional educational or even entertainment purposes. You’ll end up going to all of them one way or another..more than once.
It’s still fundamentally different. For example all the cities south of Boston have very overlapping “day trips”. Philadelphians and New Yorkers both go up to the Poconos to ski, they share a 6 Flags, Delaware shore is full of Philly/Balt daytrippers to the beach. Etc

Boston very much is out there in an island comparatively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.