Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US state is the most connected to Quebec, Canada
New York 21 20.79%
Vermont 41 40.59%
New Hampshire 6 5.94%
Maine 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 11:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I know I see Canadian license plates very often Upstate but they are probably more Ontario then Quebec. The Adirondacks seem to get more Quebec.

Regarding this thread - Would you say that if people from Quebec vacation south of the border, would they be most likely to visit New York, Vermont or Maine? And of course Florida but she is not on the poll.

I think that is the question that is the heart of the matter.
The main destinations for Quebecers in the NE US would be New York City and the Maine beach towns around Old Orchard.

Then you'd have a smattering of other places like Mount Washington and the White Mountains of NH, North Conway, Lake George, Stowe, Burlington, etc.

The Jersey Shore (Wildwood, Cape May, Ocean City, etc.) is also popular with Quebecers: https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...tm_source=htls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 11:40 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
I know I see Canadian license plates very often Upstate but they are probably more Ontario then Quebec. The Adirondacks seem to get more Quebec.

Regarding this thread - Would you say that if people from Quebec vacation south of the border, would they be most likely to visit New York, Vermont or Maine? And of course Florida but she is not on the poll.

It highly depends on where in Quebec they are.

But the point I (and others) have been trying to make in this thread is that half of the province is concentrated in one small region, and for that region it's definitely NY.

Sherbrooke and surroundings is going to be Vermont and Maine.

For the rest of the province, I'm not sure. It always seems like the roads going towards the US from other parts are completely deserted.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption has always been that people people outside of Montreal, Gatineau, and the Eastern Townships, don't travel much to the US, and are more likely to go to places like Gaspésie or something.

That's a good question though: What are popular destinations in the US (if there are any) for people from, say, Saguenay?

Old 01-16-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A-35 is actually in the process of being completed. It's also the most direct route from Montreal to Boston so that's another reason to get it built.
It's about time.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:59 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:

Quote:
I-90 has more Ontario plates. I-87 has way more Quebec plates.
Just to throw a wrench in there, you can also see some Quebec plates on I-81 even in the Syracuse area and points north. I mentioned earlier in the thread how I saw one while driving on I-81 a couple of days ago. There will be more Ontario plates, but to see Quebec plates on the highway in NY is not uncommon.

If you think about it, if someone from Gatineau is going to drive to NYC, you would actually take I-81 through NY and take either Route 17/I-86 or go into PA to I-380 to I-80 east to get there.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:15 PM

915 posts, read 563,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
It's about time.
I've long preferred going up from just north of Boston I-93/I-91 to A-55/A-10. It's only 12 miles longer in distance, but usually faster and much prettier.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:21 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Don't forget all the Montreal folks who bear down on Wildwood, New Jersey, for vacation every summer. Certainly not "most" connected, but they are there in significant enough numbers that people associate the place with Canadians.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to throw a wrench in there, you can also see some Quebec plates on I-81 even in the Syracuse area and points north. I mentioned earlier in the thread how I saw one while driving on I-81 a couple of days ago. There will be more Ontario plates, but to see Quebec plates on the highway in NY is not uncommon.

If you think about it, if someone from Gatineau is going to drive to NYC, you would actually take I-81 through NY and take either Route 17/I-86 or go into PA to I-380 to I-80 east to get there.
There are even some people from the Montreal area (based on dealer stickers) who bypass the traffic in the NYC area by taking I-81 up to the 401 and then east to Montreal.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
There are even some people from the Montreal area (based on dealer stickers) who bypass the traffic in the NYC area by taking I-81 up to the 401 and then east to Montreal.
Would you say that this is accurate? It's always been my perception that people out there generally didn't travel much, let alone outside of Quebec.

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption has always been that people people outside of Montreal, Gatineau, and the Eastern Townships, don't travel much to the US, and are more likely to go to places like Gaspésie or something.

That's a good question though: What are popular destinations in the US (if there are any) for people from, say, Saguenay?

Old 01-16-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Would you say that this is accurate? It's always been my perception that people out there generally didn't travel much, let alone outside of Quebec.
I don't know why you'd think that. I took an extended Christmas holiday very recently (just got back last week) far far away from here and on my plane in and out of Montreal there were people from Trois-Rivières, Drummondville, Sept-Îles, etc.

I suppose these people might do fewer quick getaways to NYC or the NE US, but they still do travel. Either by plane down south (south of the US) or to Europe.

Though I do think that a significant proportion of snowbirds in the Fort Lauderdale-Pompano-Hollywood Beach area of Florida are Québécois from the regions, many of whom speak very little English. A lot of these people drive down and drive back.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you'd think that. I took an extended Christmas holiday very recently (just got back last week) far far away from here and on my plane in and out of Montreal there were people from Trois-Rivières, Drummondville, Sept-Îles, etc.

I suppose these people might do fewer quick getaways to NYC or the NE US, but they still do travel. Either by plane down south (south of the US) or to Europe.

Though I do think that a significant proportion of snowbirds in the Fort Lauderdale-Pompano-Hollywood Beach area of Florida are Québécois from the regions, many of whom speak very little English. A lot of these people drive down and drive back.
Yeah I figured my perception was likely wrong, that's why I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.