Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US state is the most connected to Quebec, Canada
New York 21 20.79%
Vermont 41 40.59%
New Hampshire 6 5.94%
Maine 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 10:28 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That could just mean proximity to nearby communities on either side of the border. So, there may be connections in those particular communities, but when looking at where the bulk of people in Quebec live, they are telling you and other factors indicate that they are more connected to NY. Again, this is about connection, not proximity, per se. However, economic, transportation and multiple cultural indicators(including immigration entry from the US into Quebec) point towards NY.
The question is which state is most connected to Quebec. Vermont is most connected to Quebec.

The question isn’t Quebec is most connected to which state?

That’s a debate, perhaps due to the sheer scale of NYS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 10:28 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Vermont crossings have literally 15x more Quebec border crossings per capita. It’s not even remotely close.

For the vast majority of New Yorkers Quebec is basically Ohio
This is not a good metric at all. Vermont's population is miniscule, and New York's is highly concentrated at its southern tip.

Also... You ARE factoring in flights, trains and buses too, right? It would be crazy not to.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The question is which state is most connected to Quebec. Vermont is most connected to Quebec.

The state of NY is the most connected then. It has the busiest road crossing, as well as robust connections via plane, train and bus.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:31 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

It is up for debate for the reasons I mentioned. It isn't a one way street when I mention those aspects.

Again, you literally have people from the province in the thread indicating where there is a connection.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is up for debate for the reasons I mentioned. It isn't a one way street when I mention those aspects.

Again, you literally have people from the province in the thread indicating where there is a connection.
Yes but urbanists a stupid.

People have argued Boston is more connected to NY than NH because it’s what they like to believe. But it’s true. It’s just true in their little bubble

Old 01-16-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:

People have argued Boston is more connected to NY than NH because it’s what they like to believe. But it’s true. It’s just true in their little bubble
I don't think Montreal is "a little bubble" relative to the province of Quebec, good sir.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The state of NY is the most connected then. It has the busiest road crossing, as well as robust connections via plane, train and bus.
Which city is more connected to Boston MA. Weston Massachusetts or New York, New York.

By raw numbers of people, New York wins out. But that would be a very stupid thing to say. Because it’s just obviously not true the Average Westonian has a relationship with the city of Boston, that’s just not true if the average New Yorker.

Same thing here. The relationship is much much stronger between Vermont and Quebec it’s just that Vermont is a much smaller state. For the average NewYorker Quebec is not on the radar. The Average Vermonter has been to Quebec.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Which city is more connected to Boston MA. Weston Massachusetts or New York, New York.

By raw numbers of people, New York wins out. But that would be a very stupid thing to say. Because it’s just obviously not true the Average Westonian has a relationship with the city of Boston, that’s just not true if the average New Yorker.

Same thing here. The relationship is much much stronger between Vermont and Quebec it’s just that Vermont is a much smaller state. For the average NewYorker Quebec is not on the radar. The Average Vermonter has been to Quebec.
Weston is in the same state as Boston... 15 miles away... within it metro area. That makes no sense at all.

The fact that Quebec won't even extend A-35 into Vermont to link its most important region to a state that's only about an hour away is quite telling.

There are a total of two buses daily that go from anywhere in Vermont to Montreal.
How many buses go from anywhere in New York to Montreal? You can look it up: It's over 30.
Let's not even get started with flights.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I don't think Montreal is "a little bubble" relative to the province of Quebec, good sir.
It’s your social circle that’s likely not representative of the city. (And the city of Montreal is not representative of the other 75% of the province)

One huge thing is sports fans, don’t understand how unpopular their sports team is. I think if you asked your average 76ers fan “what percent of Philadelphians watch the average 76ers game, 3% (the truth) wouldn’t be remotely close to any answer people give.

This is why stats are useful. The stats say Vermonters are 15x more involved in Quebec than New Yorkers.

Old 01-16-2024, 10:48 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:

For me personally, I'm strictly thinking of the aspects I mentioned.

Acajack, do people from Ottawa-Gatineau sometimes fly out of airports in NY, including Syracuse's Hancock International Airport, due to costs? I ask, because I believe we've discussed this years ago in another C-D forum and I came across this information from a totally different forum(if allowed): https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=6238

Then, there's this: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...71&postcount=1
Same thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...45&postcount=8

So, shopping could be added to the list of aspects between Quebec and NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.