Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I'm sorry; I must not have made myself clear. He has Not been diagnosed with Asperger's. My daughter, his mother, was speaking casually with a friend who has a Master's in Psychology. She described my grandson and the lady said he could have Asperger's syndrome. Any interaction with either the boy or his sister will be quite sparse with them being teenagers steeped in schooling, parties, dances, shopping trips, visits to their dad's house and being with their current love interest.
How did you, as the adult, ensure that you build a lasting relationship with your grandchildren when they were younger?

Teenagers are *supposed* to be more interested in building independent lives and taking steps to create autonomy that will allow them to fly from the next in their next few years. Trying to build a relationship with them at this stage is probably too late if you have not already invested time to bond in the past 18 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,249 times
Quote:
I am not the type of grandmother who will attempt conversation with a kid who is so rejecting and standoffish. In fact, I get a certain feeling of satisfaction when I'm over there kidding with his sister and ignoring him. Trust me: he doesn't care.
Wow. How immature of you. I would avoid having to be anywhere near you if I were him. No wonder he only tolerates you from a distance.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Vaccines do not cause autism.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:41 PM

506 posts, read 651,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So your daughter is just mysteriously and randomly resentful about how you talk about her kids? For no reason at all?

She has nothing to be resentful about. There is nothing truly negative to say about her kids! I just don't know them well. They grew into teenagers in another state. I wouldn't dare say anything bad about them; she'd hit the roof. What she resents is my husband , my ex husband and I all discuss my other grandson quite a bit. He has major problems, a history of drug abuse, a terrible childhood and I took him from her in court several times. But the times he wanted to return to her for a couple months and then our moving away to this place for nine years certainly did him in. He has really had a hard life and two weeks ago he moved into our home and signed up for junior college and I was thrilled to death. Two terrible weeks for my husband and I. He has major anger and jealousy issues involving his entire family and talks like he truly hates his mother. Now he has begun to tell family members lies about me that have shocked and hurt me.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

What she resents is my husband , my ex husband and I all discuss my other grandson quite a bit. He has major problems, a history of drug abuse, a terrible childhood and I took him from her in court several times.
So ... this is a different grandson, with the same mother???

I am beginning to understand now ...

Old 03-18-2018, 07:11 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Much like some animals in the Animal Kingdom, children can sense danger/trouble/hostility/anger and other stuff.

^^^Think long and hard about that, OP.

(You read scary, too.)

And BTW, he doesn't want money as much as he wants love and acceptance. Money can't buy you love, ya know!

I would give L-O-V-E .

Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Maybe he's just shy or maybe he just isn't that close to you so feels uncomfortable around you. And it's not unusual for kids that age to be socially awkward. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that he's autistic. But if he WERE autistic, would you punish him for not being affectionate? Or love him anyway because he can't help it? What is that quote? "The children who need love the most will always ask for it in the most unloving ways."

I would treat him the same as I treat my granddaughter, whether he responds or not. I wouldn't label him autistic. I would give him gifts, whether he thanked me or not. I would drop trying to analyze what is "wrong" with him and just love him the same as you do his sister, whether he responds or not. He has a different personality than hers. And I wouldn't burden my daughter by commenting on his behavior, either.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
You have to decide if part of his behavior towards you comes from your behavior towards him. Do you try to initiate conversations? You cannot expect an older teen to be warm and friendly if you have not been warm and friendly to them while they are growing up.

As far as resenting giving him money, just stop giving him any. Just get a card, or don't.

But, unless you've tried to engage him....the fault is mutual.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
That was a good answer. I do enjoy the others! But I can't just give him a small gift when I want to give a great gift to his sister. My daughter would be very resentful of me if I pulled that trick. And I am positive he has a Bible collection already.
His mother, my daughter, has quite a conundrum: either she has to say "he's autistic, mom" or "he doesn't like you." And because I am involved in this problem of hers I think it causes her to resent me somewhat. It would tear her up if she ever had to pronounce him autistic. Or rude. But as I see it he has to be one or the other.
It sounds to me, and I could be wrong, that perhaps your daughter, has said something about you in front of him and he hasn't forgotten it?

Stop trying to buy him...

Old 05-18-2018, 05:37 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
My Grandson is autistic and reacts the way you described. He always tries to sit way away from everyone. He doesn't participate in conversations, but he is listening. He is smart and can have a interesting conversation when he feels comfortable with the people around him.

He loves going to church and actually communicates well with people there. Your Grandson is different so accept it move on and find ways you can get closer to him. Ask both your grandson and girlfriend out to dinner. When giving him the 100.00 write a note letting him know you love him. Its rare for my Grandson to say he loves me, but I know he does. Someone commented he doesn't say I love you back, when you say I love you. Its not logical to him to say something like I love you, he has said it that should be enough. I have come to understand him and love him for who he is not what I want him to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents