Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 06:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I see parents requiring their own parents (the grandparents) to babysit full time and do things like, paying for the grandchild's college. That was not as common in my generation.
Yes, the concept of Grandparent Enslavement for free child care is very common. We have been told to contribute to our Grandson's 529 Plan. Our Financial Planner says it is a bad idea as too many 529 Plans produce poor results and we could provide far more financial help by keeping the funds in our own portfolio until the time the funds are actually needed. We will probably be deceased by then anyway.

A moot point in reality as our Son and DIL only wring their hands regarding any College Savings Plan and have not yet started a 529 for their son. To me this is a No-Brainer. He was born in 2000, will likely be starting college in 2018, establish a 529 with the sole investment being a 2015 Target Date Growth Fund from whichever Investment House they prefer. Done!

BTW - DIL works for an Investment Bank, has multiple SEC Licenses, and has not presented any solutions. OK, I can understand the need to avoid conflict of interest scenarios, that is why a target date fund offered and managed by a national firm would be ideal for them.

Sorry, I am just in a crappy mood this morning.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 03-12-2021 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:56 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Yes, the concept of Grandparent Enslavement for free child care is very common. We have been told to contribute to our Grandson's 529 Plan. Our Financial Planner says it is a bad idea as too many 529 Plans produce poor results and we could provide far more financial help by keeping the funds in our own portfolio until the time the funds are actually needed. We will probably be deceased by then anyway.

A moot point in reality as our Son and DIL only wring their hands regarding any College Savings Plan and have not yet started a 529 for their son. To me this is a No-Brainer. He was born in 2000, will likely be starting college in 2018, establish a 529 with the sole investment being a 2015 Target Date Growth Fund from whichever Investment House they prefer. Done!

BTW - DIL works for an Investment Bank, has multiple SEC Licenses, and has not presented any solutions. OK, I can understand the need to avoid conflict of interest scenarios, that is why a target date fund offered and managed by a national firm would be ideal for them.

What do you mean? This is 2021. If they haven't started a 529 for a 21-year-old, it's too late now.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
FWIW --

I am a Boomer raised - as most Boomers were, I think -- by parents born or raised during the Great Depression. My parents (working class) made it clear from the start that once we left their home, we were on our own and that no long-term childcare help or financial assistance from them would be forthcoming except for true emergencies and then with clearly defined time and financial limits. We raised our kids the same way, and as a result, our daughter (our son died) knows that she IS on her own. I truly think that this is the way to raise kids -- to make them independent and for them to take pride in that independence.

I do think it is a shame how many people today would consider that attitude to be a very harsh one.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-12-2021 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 09:26 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What do you mean? This is 2021. If they haven't started a 529 for a 21-year-old, it's too late now.
He should be graduating this year! lol!

Old 03-12-2021, 09:30 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
He should be graduating this year! lol!
The poster must be a time warp.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:31 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
The poster must be a time warp.
I got the math wrong, I guess it would actually be next year for graduation. But long past the time to set up a 529 in any case

Old 03-12-2021, 11:25 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I'd be in a crappy mood all the time if these expectations were foisted upon me.
It's YOUR money. You're now retired, and yes, living on a fixed income. Contributing to a 529 is not your responsibility. That should have been done by the parents years ago. The ship has sailed.
Put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others. You are responsible for yourself first.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:53 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
What years were you using car safety seats for your children? Not booster seats.

They weren't commonly used until the late 80s. Most states didn't even have laws requiring them in the mid 80s.

I guess I forgot that the group called "boomers" includes those born up to 1964. So relax, gran.
As soon as they came from the hospital in 82 and 84 and thereafter.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
My husbands father was born in 1956, my parents were born in ‘60-‘61 . All of them are detached from reality and the struggles younger people (even my generation born in the early 80’s have faced) . My husbands father (‘56) rose to be VP of a bank on an English degree and owned a house on cape cod. My husband has a MA in Finance and business analytics and was making $40k cause that was his HIGHEST offer we found. He has already been in the work force for 20 years at that point and we were making $100,000 in another field. It was killing him though. His finance company requires you to have a BA minimum just to be the secretary. Not joking. Everyone MUST have a BA to work there.

The boomer parents still think we can find a house for $125,000 and just throw some paint up and live in it for the next 10 years. I’m sick and tired of hearing how my parents paid $750 a month mortgage for their NEW BUILD 4 bedroom 3000 sqft home built in the 90’s. Can’t understand why we currently can’t get a home with my husband making $85k a year... they can’t figure out the math and don’t get why we can’t just up and move.. boomers are hands down probably some of the worst I come across and deal with.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:19 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Quote:
Oops!!
Born in 2020
Start college in 2038
Target Date Fund of 2035 maturity

Sorry, it was a bad evening and morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents