Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Been on this forum for a while now and I can't remember seeing a topic on this. If there was I might of missed it or it was before I got here.

What is it that people have a problem with this idea? Religious? Immoral? Is it considered a form of cheating? Even in a lot of cases there is no sexual contact involved. It's been around for thousands of years and in some countries it's still practice it. Many people practice it here in the U.S as well.

I bring this up because it's something that has always intrigued me not because I feel the need to sleep or have another relationship outside of my marriage. I do believe it's possible to be in love with more then one person at a time. Also I've been reading a book called The Ethical ****. Very interesting read as it talks about open relationships from those who have had them and still are.

My wife is bisexual ( I think a lot of people are.) And she has always wanted to have a third in her first marriage but her ex didn't like the idea. So maybe at some point it might happen either way it doesn't bother me.

I didn't post this in the relationship side because I think this would be a very good discussion instead of hearing about how it's cheating and one might as well stay single.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:33 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
It has to take "very special" minds to want to be in poly relationships. Being with one is a full time pretty tough job.

Living in CA has been a big big mind opener and yrs ago after my only divorce a guy I was dating wanted to check out the "swingers" aka open marriages groups in Hollywood.... big curosity to him. So I went along with it and WOW, neither one of us could partake of it all, so we did our own thing. I don't know if this still goes on but it probably does. I'm out of so much out there now.

After a difficult marriage and tough divorce, I love my single life for over 40 yrs. BF's yes but never marriage again.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-06-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
I've seen it work but not nearly as often as I've seen it explode into fiery carnage. I think most of us are culturally conditioned to be monogamous or serial monogamous.

In cultures that practice polygamy it's usually propped up by poisonous gender roles and questionable cultural practices... Western more egalitarian poly relationships will have to invent new modes in order to function and most people just don't have the interpersonal intelligence to pull it off.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:17 PM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Been on this forum for a while now and I can't remember seeing a topic on this. If there was I might of missed it or it was before I got here.

What is it that people have a problem with this idea? Religious? Immoral? Is it considered a form of cheating? Even in a lot of cases there is no sexual contact involved. It's been around for thousands of years and in some countries it's still practice it. Many people practice it here in the U.S as well.

I bring this up because it's something that has always intrigued me not because I feel the need to sleep or have another relationship outside of my marriage. I do believe it's possible to be in love with more then one person at a time. Also I've been reading a book called The Ethical ****. Very interesting read as it talks about open relationships from those who have had them and still are.

My wife is bisexual ( I think a lot of people are.) And she has always wanted to have a third in her first marriage but her ex didn't like the idea. So maybe at some point it might happen either way it doesn't bother me.

I didn't post this in the relationship side because I think this would be a very good discussion instead of hearing about how it's cheating and one might as well stay single.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Having a threesome isn't really polyamory. There was a thread about polyamory on the Relationships forum 2-3 years ago. It actually went pretty well.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Kinda risky. From a VD perspective, you could be exposed to stuff from lots of polies you've never even seen. As an RN, I've sure seen a lot of pretty disgusting people and pretty disgusting "down theres".

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
The more humans involved, the more complex it becomes. Yet, I have no problems with polyamorists. I don't have any problems with any lifestyle really as long as it doesn't threaten me directly

Old 08-06-2017, 01:05 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
You want more than one spouse? One was enough for me. Too many personalities in one house.

*or partner

Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM

I watched this cable program for a while with "sisters" all married to one man and taking care of a bunch of kids. I can't think of the name of the series...anyone.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:11 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I watched this cable program for a while with "sisters" all married to one man and taking care of a bunch of kids. I can't think of the name of the series...anyone.
I believe it was called Sister Wives.

As for polyamory, to each their own. I could never do it, and I imagine it would be really hard for most people. But if it works for the people involved; go for it.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I believe it was called Sister Wives.

As for polyamory, to each their own. I could never do it, and I imagine it would be really hard for most people. But if it works for the people involved; go for it.
Ah yes, Sister Wives – Hollywood Life

I haven't seen it for some time so have no idea what's going on there....I've gotten rid of cable. Don't miss this "garbage"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.