Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Oh well, better earlier than never! That I-785 must be new as well, because yesterday when I looked at Google Maps, it was only labeled I-840.
You have to zoom in real close on Google Maps in order for the I-785 label to show up. But I was referring to the signage on the road itself.

As far as I-840 signage goes, I jumped the gun in my last post. I agree with you that I-840 will probably be signed once the next section opens, since no other interstate will be signed between Bryan and Battleground, but I still wouldn't look for I-840 to be signed on I-785 until the other half of the loop connects to US-29.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
You have to zoom in real close on Google Maps in order for the I-785 label to show up. But I was referring to the signage on the road itself.

As far as I-840 signage goes, I jumped the gun in my last post. I agree with you that I-840 will probably be signed once the next section opens, since no other interstate will be signed between Bryan and Battleground, but I still wouldn't look for I-840 to be signed on I-785 until the other half of the loop connects to US-29.
I thought I zoomed in pretty well yesterday and only saw I-840, unless my eyes were playing tricks on me?

I know you meant the actual signage on the current road today is only I-785, but they probably just went with the press release and decided to add the I-840 shield anyways!

Last edited by cjseliga; 12-14-2017 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM

378 posts, read 419,093 times
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2008.pdf

They did propose a toll connector to the PTI airport from the proposed Winston-Salem Northern Beltway to I-73, but it got removed from further study due to complains and widening I-40 instead. This project is nice though...

Old 12-22-2017, 04:30 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...eport_2008.pdf

They did propose a toll connector to the PTI airport from the proposed Winston-Salem Northern Beltway to I-73, but it got removed from further study due to complains and widening I-40 instead. This project is nice though...
It will eventually be "needed". But right now there are two links between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I-40 and Business 40.

Once the Triad starts seeing Charlotte and Raleigh type traffic, it will seriously be looked at..... But hopefully by then they'll get more serious about mass transit as oppose to more highways.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-22-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It will eventually be "needed". But right now there are two links between Greensboro and Winston-Salem. I-40 and Business 40.

Once the Triad starts seeing Charlotte and Raleigh type traffic, it will seriously be looked at..... But hopefully by then they'll get more serious about mass transit as oppose to more highways.

Charlotte and Raleigh and their suburbs, have more to do and nicer shopping centers, and nicer schools. That's why those cities grow much faster than Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Greensboro has enough highways to handle 400,000 population, but it's slowly growing due to the economy. Winston-Salem will be like Greensboro when it has the Northern Beltway completed.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Charlotte and Raleigh and their suburbs, have more to do and nicer shopping centers, and nicer schools. That's why those cities grow much faster than Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Greensboro has enough highways to handle 400,000 population, but it's slowly growing due to the economy. Winston-Salem will be like Greensboro when it has the Northern Beltway completed.
While the Triad may not be ready for mass transit today, the area still needs to be planning for it to avoid the mistakes Charlotte and Raleigh made. Raleigh is a traffic nightmare and Im amazed the area doesnt have commuter rail by now. Rush hour would give anyone a panic attack. Realistically the Triad could be ready for mass transit in 20 to 25 years. Seems like a long time but its really not.

When I went to Winston the other day I noticed they are working on the northern beltway interchange at business 40. So its progressing over there. Greensboro's loop is almost complete.
Doesnt show on the map but the eastern loop north of I-40 is also assigned as I-785 along with I-840 and will continue along Highway 29 to Danville, VA. Greensboro is starting to look like Charlotte and Raleigh with the stack interchanges along the loop. The northwestern section (I-840) will have a bridge over wetlands over 40 feet high nearly a mile long. One of the longest bridges in the Piedmont. Its in the top two or three longest.

Wetlands bridge

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-22-2017 at 06:54 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
While the Triad may not be ready for mass transit today, the area still needs to be planning for it to avoid the mistakes Charlotte and Raleigh made. Raleigh is a traffic nightmare and Im amazed the area doesnt have commuter rail by now. Rush hour would give anyone a panic attack. Realistically the Triad could be ready for mass transit in 20 to 25 years. Seems like a long time but its really not.

When I went to Winston the other day I noticed they are working on the northern beltway interchange at business 40. So its progressing over there. Greensboro's loop is almost complete.
Doesnt show on the map but the eastern loop north of I-40 is also assigned as I-785 along with I-840 and will continue along Highway 29 to Danville, VA. Greensboro is starting to look like Charlotte and Raleigh with the stack interchanges along the loop.
Is that eastern part of I-785 seriously complete?! I thought it would be complete in August 2018... lol

And that's very cool!!!

Last edited by Slay The Great; 12-22-2017 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Is that eastern part of I-785 seriously complete?! I thought it would be complete in August 2018... lol

And that's very cool!!!
Yep just opened and you get to I-40 much quicker than taking Hwy 29 through the city.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 PM

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14981

This is our weird beltway plan, I don't like it that much.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14981

This is our weird beltway plan, I don't like it that much.
Pretty cool. I know loops get a bad rap sometimes but they really do help you get around the city easier and helps elimnate the bottleneck traffic on highways in the city. They also open up areas to industry. Would be nice to see an Interstate spur all the way to Greenville. I was actually in Greenville about 3 weeks ago on a job related trip. Drove through some towns along the way. Farmville was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point