Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There is a reason why Indiana ranks high in the nation for automobile manufacturing and interstate highways and its massive FedEx hub was noted in this article as to some of the reasons why.

Indiana: Accelerating the Automotive Industry - Area Development
Compare a list of Fedex hub locations to where the last 10 new car plants have gone. No correlation.

Quote:
Again it all boils down to incentives. A city or state can have the best infrastructure in place but the state must put together a competitive incentives package. If North Carolina does that the state's infrastructure will give us the edge.
If thats true, then we're toast. Phil and Tim say "bank" on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:43 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Compare a list of Fedex hub locations to where the last 10 new car plants have gone. No correlation.

If thats true, then we're toast. Phil and Tim say "bank" on it.

No its not absolutely necissary but a FedEx hub certainly helps. any way most car plants have some sort of shipping hub within a 50 mile radius. They may not be air cargo hubs. But the FedEx hub is like the icing on the cake for any company looking to build a big factory in the area. Why do you think cities across, North Carolina, Virginia and South Carolina were fighting to get the hub? It wasnt for the $8.50 an hour part time jobs.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:59 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,377,048 times
Quote:
No its not absolutely necissary but a FedEx hub certainly helps. any way most car plants have some sort of shipping hub within a 50 mile radius. They may not be air cargo hubs. But the FedEx hub is like the icing on the cake for any company looking to build a big factory in the area. Why do you think cities across, North Carolina, Virginia and South Carolina were fighting to get the hub? It wasnt for the $8.50 an hour part time jobs.
Interesting. Please provide backup data.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

SC's incentive package for Volvo was over $200 million. The Toyota/Mazda plant is 2 to 3 times larger, so I suspect it will command $500 million in incentives. Phil Berger isn't writing that check.

Just maybe lots of things will happen. History and logic suggest otherwise.
As Toyota and Mazda look to expand, state finds itself in unlikely position: driver's seat | Local News | greensboro.com

"This time around, the Republican-controlled state budgets for 2017-18 and 2018-19 committed up to $50 million in economic incentives toward a "transformative" project that would require a $4 billion capital investment and 5,000-employee commitment."

"The budget allows state economic officials to commit to offering up to $35 million for a high-yield project. Those projects would require at least $200 million in capital investments be made by a recipient and at least 2,000 full-time or full-time-equivalent jobs created"

Let's see, for a smaller project, South Carolina coughed up $200 million. But NC has apparently gotten the message and is ready to offer up to 1/4 of that amount for a larger project (sarcasm alert).

If $50 million is the best NC can do in incentives, then there is exactly zero chance to land the plant here. I don't know if NC needs to commit a half billion in incentives.... but they will have to do better than $50 million. Far better.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM

239 posts, read 305,948 times
Yea 50mil is a joke but I think 350mil-400 could get it done.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpe16 View Post
Yea 50mil is a joke but I think 350mil-400 could get it done.
I'm not even sure the incentives have to be that high. It's not necessarily that NC needs to have the best incentive package... but the package needs to at least be competitive and demonstrate the commitment to having the plant in North Carolina. $50 million doesn't even come close.

This isn't to say that it SHOULD require incentives to lure jobs here. But unfortunately, that's how the game is played these days. And with an offer this low, the project will end up in Alabama or Kentucky.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM

163 posts, read 154,539 times
I'm ready for 3, 4, & 5 to be done, so I can get to my brother's home in Summerfield a lot easier.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 PM

Two sections of the Greensboro beltway could open before the end of the year leaving only a small section of the loop on the north side of town to be built. Greensboro's beltway will be almost entirely complete.

New Urban Loop improvements coming online soon | Government | greensboro.com

Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Two sections of the Greensboro beltway could open before the end of the year leaving only a small section of the loop on the north side of town to be built. Greensboro's beltway will be almost entirely complete.

New Urban Loop improvements coming online soon | Government | greensboro.com
Those construction crews must really want that early completion bonus!

The US-70 to US-29 eastern section was supposed to be done in December 2018 and the Bryan Blvd to Battleground Ave (US-220) was supposed to done in March 2018, according to the project website.

That last section from Battleground Ave to US-29 is actually made up of two separate contracts. I guess that final part will be done by the end of 2020?

Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Those construction crews must really want that early completion bonus!

The US-70 to US-29 eastern section was supposed to be done in December 2018 and the Bryan Blvd to Battleground Ave (US-220) was supposed to done in March 2018, according to the project website.

That last section from Battleground Ave to US-29 is actually made up of two separate contracts. I guess that final part will be done by the end of 2020?
The loop is way ahead of schedule thanks to funding that moved the project up. Once that last section is complete, they will start putting up I-840 shields along the corridor and at interchanges at I-85 and I-40. They have already put up I-785 shields at the I-40/I-85 interchange on the east side of town. The northeastern leg will be designated as I-840/I-785. The northern section will be I-840. The western section I-840/I-73. The southwestern section is already I-73 and the southeastern section is I-85. I-785 will be an interstate spur between Greensboro and Danville, VA along the Hwy 29 corridor. Eventually, it will continue to Washington DC as another interstate designation meaning travelers coming from the south along I-85 would be able to bypass Durham and I-95 entirely shortening travel time to DC quite a bit. Greensboro is becoming a major interstate junction with interstates heading to the west coast, Atlanta, the midwest, Myrtle Beach and eventually Washington D.C. along the I-785 corridor.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-30-2017 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point