Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,647,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
The WWE Wrestling event is definitely a stretch to be called "major" (mainly given that they travel the country anyways and make it to just to most even moderate-sized metros every few years or so). But the US Figure Skating Championships are without a doubt a very major event. Does it attract tens of thousands of fans to hotel rooms? No. But it is a major event still.
It may be a major figure skating event, but its not (objectively) a major sporting event, imo. Of course, it may be a "major" sporting event, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 07:07 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
In regards to Skating, any event televised nationally and internationally would be considered a major sporting event

Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,647,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
In regards to Skating, any event televised nationally and internationally would be considered a major sporting event
Gotcha. You're the expert!

Oh wait, is that major or "major"?

Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 PM

569 posts, read 342,450 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Forget what anyone else says.

Also, the ACC Tournament belongs in Greensboro. Permanently.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
I agree 100%. Forget what anyone else says.

Also, the ACC Tournament belongs in Greensboro. Permanently.
I'm surprised the deep south ACC schools have not complained about traveling all the way to Brooklyn to see an ACC Tournament for so many consecutive years. There are only a few schools up there. I agree it belongs in Greensboro. Greensboro is the home of the ACC headquarters, its centrally located on the ACC geographical map and there is just more excitement in Greensboro when its here. In New York its just another event. In Greensboro its the big event. In the past the tournament has always traveled but Greensboro would get for 3 or 4 years straight then it would go somewhere like Atlanta then back to Greensboro for another year. Now it seems like Brooklyn gets it for two or three years straight then goes to Washington or Charlotte then Greensboro gets it for a year then back to Brooklyn. Its been 5 years since Greensboro last got the ACC tournament. Part of that may have been due to the gender neutral bathroom controversy where the ACC and NCAA pulled its tournaments out of the state.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
I'm surprised the deep south ACC schools have not complained about traveling all the way to Brooklyn to see an ACC Tournament for so many consecutive years. There are only a few schools up there. I agree it belongs in Greensboro. Greensboro is the home of the ACC headquarters, its centrally located on the ACC geographical map and there is just more excitement in Greensboro when its here. In New York its just another event. In Greensboro its the big event. In the past the tournament has always traveled but Greensboro would get for 3 or 4 years straight then it would go somewhere like Atlanta then back to Greensboro for another year. Now it seems like Brooklyn gets it for two or three years straight then goes to Washington or Charlotte then Greensboro gets it for a year then back to Brooklyn. Its been 5 years since Greensboro last got the ACC tournament. Part of that may have been due to the gender neutral bathroom controversy where the ACC and NCAA pulled its tournaments out of the state.
The reality is that with the expansion of the ACC's footprint over the last 15 years (a conference featuring 4 NC schools and then one school each in Northern Florida, Georgia, SC, VA, and MD added schools in South Florida, Boston, VA, PA, NY, KY, and IN). With that expansion requires a little bit of moving around.

I wouldn't expect that ACCT being a regular event in Greensboro going forward. The ACC will continue to hold its tournament in places like Atlanta, Washington DC, and Brooklyn. On top of that, Charlotte has a much bigger capacity for hosting a major event like the ACCT. I wouldn't expect the ACCT to return to Greensboro more than once or twice over the next decade or so. What we already know is that it goes to DC next year and Brooklyn the following year. I would assume that within the next year or so, they ACC will announce its tournament locations for another two or three years and it would not be a surprise is Greensboro is missing from that announcement.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:49 PM

597 posts, read 451,112 times
Quote:
The reality is that with the expansion of the ACC's footprint over the last 15 years (a conference featuring 4 NC schools and then one school each in Northern Florida, Georgia, SC, VA, and MD added schools in South Florida, Boston, VA, PA, NY, KY, and IN). With that expansion requires a little bit of moving around.

I wouldn't expect that ACCT being a regular event in Greensboro going forward. The ACC will continue to hold its tournament in places like Atlanta, Washington DC, and Brooklyn. On top of that, Charlotte has a much bigger capacity for hosting a major event like the ACCT. I wouldn't expect the ACCT to return to Greensboro more than once or twice over the next decade or so. What we already know is that it goes to DC next year and Brooklyn the following year. I would assume that within the next year or so, they ACC will announce its tournament locations for another two or three years and it would not be a surprise is Greensboro is missing from that announcement.

I think it will be a rotation of Brooklyn, DC, Charlotte, and Greensboro. I think Greensboro gets it once every 5 years. I do see Greensboro getting it for the 75th Anniversary of the ACC... which I think would be 2028 or 2029.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
I think it will be a rotation of Brooklyn, DC, Charlotte, and Greensboro. I think Greensboro gets it once every 5 years. I do see Greensboro getting it for the 75th Anniversary of the ACC... which I think would be 2028 or 2029.
For now, that's probably about right. The 75th anniversary would be a good occasion for Greensboro to get the ACCT. However, it wouldn't surprise me if that's also the last time Greensboro gets the tournament. There has been some talk about whether there's value in continuing to hold the tournament in Greensboro other than for nostalgia. Charlotte, DC, and Brooklyn all lend far greater exposure and a better fan experience outside of the arena. Heck, there's some talk that once John Swofford retires that the league will move their HQ to Charlotte.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 AM

I don't know if having the tournament in one city versus another gives it more exposure. Its all televised on the ACC network where ever the tournament is. Its not the host cities that gives the ACC exposure, its the schools like Duke and Carolina. Besides Greensboro has proven itself that it can successful host events far bigger than the ACC Tournament. Honestly there really is no point in moving the headquarters to Charlotte though. Most people don't even know where any of the conferences are headquartered. The ACC doesn't need to improve its image by moving its headquarters to a bigger city. Its already the most prestigious conference in the country. Its the tradition and prestige of the schools that gives the conference its image not Brooklyn, DC or the city lights of Charlotte. Coach K said he preferred the ACC tournament would permanently be in Greensboro but because of the conference's bigger footprint it will have to travel.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-06-2020 at 04:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 08:09 AM

511 posts, read 512,117 times
Quote:
For now, that's probably about right. The 75th anniversary would be a good occasion for Greensboro to get the ACCT. However, it wouldn't surprise me if that's also the last time Greensboro gets the tournament. There has been some talk about whether there's value in continuing to hold the tournament in Greensboro other than for nostalgia. Charlotte, DC, and Brooklyn all lend far greater exposure and a better fan experience outside of the arena. Heck, there's some talk that once John Swofford retires that the league will move their HQ to Charlotte.
Where are you hearing this nightmarish chatter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point