Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 04:17 PM

773 posts, read 647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Did you even read TheQC’s post?
Yes.

Quote:
And my post said nothing about holding it in GSO every year.
I made no claim that it did.

Quote:
Maybe take some of your own advice and learn to read.
Thanks for the advice. Sorry that I hurt your feelings.

Last edited by Royal James; 01-02-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 06:36 PM

405 posts, read 318,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
But I think something else may also play a role. The tournament is at least partially about the fan experience. Greensboro is a great fan experience for those fans from NC because these fans already know where to eat, party, and best hotels. But this is not so fans of other teams outside NC. These fans have no allegiance to Greensboro. They simply want the best fan experience.

Also, fans from NC, SC, VA, will drive their cars and have access to their cars throughout the tourney. They can easily drive to the arena, back to the hotel, and out to eat. But those flying in from Miami, Boston, South Bend, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and maybe other places do not have that option. How difficult do you think it may be for 10k people without cars to catch an Uber or cab from the arena to a hotel after the game and all at the same time. Could that dampen the experience for those fans? I think so.

Also, on off days while the tourney is going on, does downtown Greensboro have enough restaurants and variety of restaurants to serve a large and varied group of people. Maybe they do. I don’t know. I am just asking the question. Others would know better than I.
Greensboro has hosted ACC tournaments for many years and I have never heard or read anything pertaining to folks complaining that they had a bad "fan experience". The fans come to watch basketball.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Greensboro has hosted ACC tournaments for many years and I have never heard or read anything pertaining to folks complaining that they had a bad "fan experience". The fans come to watch basketball.
I've read and heard lots about enhancing the fan experience. Its a big deal for Matt Brown:

"Greensboro’s organizers understand tradition alone won’t keep the city in play as a future host, Brown says.

With that in mind, the Coliseum has brought back its ACC FanFest at the Special Events Center, and also added a “Tailgate Zone” at the new Piedmont Hall venue on the complex’s grounds. That area features food trucks, live music, video boards showing live sports, and — for the first time at an ACC Men’s Tournament here, Brown says — alcohol sales.

"We’re trying to create a Final Four atmosphere, because that’s how much we respect the ACC Tournament. To us, it’s our Super Bowl. To us, this is our Final Four.”"

Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 PM

“Enhancing the fan experience” is smart, and is good business, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my previous post. If fans complained about having a poor “fan experience”, Greensboro would not be considered for any future tournaments as a host city, despite the changes being made by Matt Brown.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
“Enhancing the fan experience” is smart, and is good business, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said in my previous post. If fans complained about having a poor “fan experience[”, Greensboro would not be considered for any future tournaments as a host city, despite the changes being made by Matt Brown.
Thats a circular argument that makes no sense. If the fan experience wasn't enhanced, then obviously attendees would find the experience lacking. Thus the need to enhance it. And many people did, in fact, raise concerns about the quality of the fan experience, Thats why Brown thought it important to enhance it. Etc., etc.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Thats a circular argument that makes no sense. If the fan experience wasn't enhanced, then obviously attendees would find the experience lacking. Thus the need to enhance it.
LOL , that's a circular argument if I ever heard one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
And many people did, in fact, raise concerns about the quality of the fan experience, Thats why Brown thought it important to enhance it. Etc., etc.
Matt told you this ? Was it local GSO organizers who told him this, or was it fans having a poor "fan experience" who told Matt this ? Having a tailgating-pig picking' in the parking lot will not make a material difference to diehard ACC fans, although it would be greatly enjoyed.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:58 PM

425 posts, read 420,023 times
I don't have much skin in this debate - but it is possible that some out of state people will come to Greensboro, knowing that it was the historically relevant host city, and wonder why. If management is making improvements to the experience, then some visitors may come away in agreement that it's a good central location to continue hosting the tournaments.

So, let the future reveal the results. We are not going to know for a while.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
but it is possible that some out of state people will come to Greensboro, knowing that it was the historically relevant host city, and wonder why.
Yes. But nobody cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
If management is making improvements to the experience, then some visitors may come away in agreement that it's a good central location to continue hosting the tournaments.
Yes. But nobody cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point