Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 02:09 PM

569 posts, read 341,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'm pretty sure the "Greensboro has no value" comments was more Syracuse leaving the Big East and leaving the Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden than anything else. Boeheim was not one who was in favor of conference relocation.
He said what he said. He prefers the major cities for exposure. Greensboro has "no value", according to him. No wonder he was trying to smooth things over in that particular interview. I suspect that he regretted making that comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 03:04 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,221,404 times
That dude looks like Bernie Sanders.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
That dude looks like Bernie Sanders.
Where did you see Mr. Raleigh's picture?

Old 02-10-2020, 11:16 AM

475 posts, read 684,739 times
Quote:
If it occurred every day, PTI would have a lot more flights and High Point and the Triad would have a lot more hotels.
I was in PTI last week. I'm not sure it could handle "a lot more flights." It is definitely underutilized (as every time I'm there, there are about two planes on the ground), but the terminals are so compact and dated, and baggage claim is built for ONE arrival. In addition, the four TSA lanes wouldn't suffice.

Slightly off topic, I know.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I was in PTI last week. I'm not sure it could handle "a lot more flights." It is definitely underutilized (as every time I'm there, there are about two planes on the ground), but the terminals are so compact and dated, and baggage claim is built for ONE arrival. In addition, the four TSA lanes wouldn't suffice.

Slightly off topic, I know.
I think at some point in the future when business in the area picks up significantly, the terminal will have to be expanded. But right now I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. But as I said in previous post, hypothetically speaking, if the market were an every week permanent fixture type thing, that would have happened a long time ago because you'd have people flying in from all around the world on a weekly basis. Airline flights at any given airport are based on demand. Cities with many fortune 500 companies like Charlotte typically have many direct flights across the country and internationally. Major tourist destinations also have a good number of daily flights.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 02-10-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Further evidence an organization doesn't have to be a Fortune 500 company to find locational advantages in Charlotte:

"A publicly traded manufacturer of engineered products is relocating its headquarters from the Northeast to Charlotte.

Glatfelter, currently based in York, Pennsylvania, disclosed last week that it is moving its corporate headquarters to Charlotte. Dante Parrini, chairman and CEO of Glatfelter, said in a statement that Charlotte has a "larger pool of critical resources and talent for future growth" and that being near a "premier" airport like Charlotte Douglas International Airport "allows for easier and more efficient business travel."

A spokeswoman said of the approximately 70 employees in the Pennsylvania corporate office, about 50 to 60 positions will move to Charlotte."

I can see the ACC issuing a similar press release in the near future.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:11 PM

569 posts, read 341,768 times
What in the world does a company like Glatfelter have to do with the ACC ? Have you ever been to York PA ? In the middle of nowhere. Fly from RDU to BWI, then rent a car or Uber-Lyft. No wonder they moved to Charlotte. Or anywhere with decent airport access. I went on a business trip there once, and it was like the dark ages.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 02-10-2020 at 10:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2020, 02:05 PM

Wow. Just happen to notice that 6 events are happening at the same time today at the coliseum. I wouldn't consider them major sporting events but it just shows how busy the Greensboro Coliseum Complex is these days.

1) NCHSAA State Wrestling Championships
2) National Ninja League World Championships
3) Wine & Chocolate Festival
4) Greensboro Swarm vs. Capital City
5) Nexstar Dance Competition
6) Tesla music band - Piedmont Hall.

https://www.greensborocoliseum.com/events/all

Old 02-22-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Wow. Just happen to notice that 6 events are happening at the same time today at the coliseum. I wouldn't consider them major sporting events but it just shows how busy the Greensboro Coliseum Complex is these days.

1) NCHSAA State Wrestling Championships
2) National Ninja League World Championships
3) Wine & Chocolate Festival
4) Greensboro Swarm vs. Capital City
5) Nexstar Dance Competition
6) Tesla music band - Piedmont Hall.

https://www.greensborocoliseum.com/events/all
But are they "major"?

Old 02-22-2020, 08:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
But are they "major"?
Only two of them are actual sporting events. But this would probably be the best thread to make an observation about how busy the coliseum complex is these days in the absence of an active thread about the complex itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point