Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:57 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,647,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Besides Greensboro has proven itself that it can successful host events far bigger than the ACC Tournament.
Bigger in what way? What events are those?

Quote:
Honestly there really is no point in moving the headquarters to Charlotte though.
Ease of travel is a big reason to do so. I'm conference employees and visitors get tired of stopping in Charlotte every time they fly in or out of GSO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Bigger in what way? What events are those?

Ease of travel is a big reason to do so. I'm conference employees and visitors get tired of stopping in Charlotte every time they fly in or out of GSO.
Visitors from where? Greensboro pretty much has direct flights to all areas in the ACC territory.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Visitors from where? Greensboro pretty much has direct flights to all areas in the ACC territory.
Really? Here's a list of ACC cities PTIA doesn't serve with direct flights: Boston, Tallahassee, Miami, Syracuse, Louisville, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, South Bend, Pittsburgh, Greenville/Spartanburg and Raleigh/Durham. All served by direct flights from CLT.

You don't think coaches, university administrators, vendors, media partners, event venue managers, etc. travel to conference headquarters for meetings and conferences? And conference employees don't travel to the universities, event venues, media partners, etc.? And ease of travel isn't a major consideration?

Are you seriously are claiming GSO, with direct service to 5 cities compares with CLT with direct service to 177 cities. Really?

Last edited by Edward Teach; 02-06-2020 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-06-2020, 12:33 PM

511 posts, read 512,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Really? Here's a list of ACC cities PTIA doesn't serve with direct flights: Boston, Tallahassee, Miami, Syracuse, Louisville, Charlottesville, Blacksburg, South Bend, Pittsburgh, Greenville/Spartanburg and Raleigh/Durham. All served by direct flights from CLT.
There are direct flights to Miami from GSO, but you've made your point.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
There are direct flights to Miami from GSO, but you've made your point.
My bad. PTIA has direct flights to 13 cities, not 5, and does include Miami. Their website is confusing. So there's two ACC university locations with a direct flight.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:19 PM

597 posts, read 451,244 times
Moving along.... Greensboro and Guilford County place bids to hold future NCAA events from 2023-2026

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/co...40ebf0749.html

I suspect that the Coliseum will land a Women's Basketball Regional and Men's 1st and 2nd round games. I would love to see A&T's track land a East Regional. I regret not going when it was here in 2013.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:26 PM

223 posts, read 144,930 times
I remember Jim Boeheim complaining about the ACC tourney being in Greensboro in 2017. He said "There's no value to playing in Greensboro. None." It was so funny the response from Greensboro when he lost in the first round of the NCAA.

Whenever there is a tourney here in Greensboro, the fans come and have no problem filling up the arena.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:00 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
The excitement in Greensboro for the ACC Tournament is just different from everywhere else. Nothing changes that. Not cities with bigger populations and big city life or airlines connections. Non of that matters to Greensboro which rolls out the red carpet for the ACC Tournament. The Greensboro Coliseum is also the largest host venue.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,061,238 times
Quote:
The excitement in Greensboro for the ACC Tournament is just different from everywhere else. Nothing changes that. Not cities with bigger populations and big city life or airlines connections. Non of that matters to Greensboro which rolls out the red carpet for the ACC Tournament. The Greensboro Coliseum is also the largest host venue.
All of the other bigger cities do the same thing. Yes, some of it is also a prestige factor (it's considered more "prestigious" to hold the tournament in NYC or DC vs Greensboro). The bigger cities also have more hotels for travelers and more for those travelers to do. I do expect that Greensboro will continue to land the NCAAT once every 3-4 years for the foreseeable future though.

As for ACC HQ, my understanding is that it's a near foregone conclusion that the ACC will be relocating to Charlotte upon the retirement on John Swofford (probably the next 3-5 years). Ease of travel is a big consideration.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:22 PM

569 posts, read 342,450 times
I believe that the ACCT should remain in Greensboro permanently, but that's my personal opinion. It will continue to rotate among several host cities. It makes no sense for the ACC HQ to relocate to Charlotte or anywhere else. If it were to be relocated to another city, due to ease of travel concerns, it would be to D.C. or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point