Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 08:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I also like Harris Teeter and am in that Eastside area. In my opinion Publix, first and foremost, can’t be beat for variety and customer service. Second, there is already Fresh Market, Lidl, Aldi, Ingles within just a few miles of each other. Then throw in Dollar Stores and Walmart. I’m not sure the market is big enough for Harris Teeter.
Same competitors they have in Greenville, Charlotte, and many other markets. But perhaps Spartanburg may be saturated regarding supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 12:15 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
I also like Harris Teeter and am in that Eastside area. In my opinion Publix, first and foremost, can’t be beat for variety and customer service. Second, there is already Fresh Market, Lidl, Aldi, Ingles within just a few miles of each other. Then throw in Dollar Stores and Walmart. I’m not sure the market is big enough for Harris Teeter.

Did you know the Planet Fitness on the Eastside was originally a Harris Teeter store? I would think it makes perfect sense for them to eventually be in Spartanburg again since their trucks go through on the way to/ from Greenville to their home base in Charlotte near Matthews.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:13 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Did you know the Planet Fitness on the Eastside was originally a Harris Teeter store? I would think it makes perfect sense for them to eventually be in Spartanburg again since their trucks go through on the way to/ from Greenville to their home base in Charlotte near Matthews.
I understood there had been one before but I wasn’t sure where.

Old 09-17-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Same competitors they have in Greenville, Charlotte, and many other markets. But perhaps Spartanburg may be saturated regarding supermarkets.
H-T does have an urban style store where there is minimal surface parking but with underground parking. There are escalators that accommodate the cart/buggy.

Perhaps that style would work over near Daniel Morgan between the new town homes behind the Marriott and Wofford, by the new ballpark area where more residential is planned or off Kennedy by the new apartments and YMCA.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-17-2023 at 02:39 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 05:40 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
I understood there had been one before but I wasn’t sure where.
There were twin Harris Teeter stores in Spartanburg. That one at Converse Plaza and one on the westside where Harrison's Outfitters is now on Reidville Rd. They both were sold to Bi-Lo in 2001 when Harris Teeter was owned by the Ruddick company and pulled back their footprint from Atlanta and parts of SC. Kroger purchased the HT stores in Atlanta. Ironically HT is a subsidiary of Kroger now and Bi-Lo is gone.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news...g/29634906007/

Last edited by vistatiger; 09-18-2023 at 05:48 AM..

Old 09-18-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
There were twin Harris Teeter stores in Spartanburg. That one at Converse Plaza and one on the westside where Harrison's Outfitters is now on Reidville Rd. They both were sold to Bi-Lo in 2001 when Harris Teeter was owned by the Ruddick company and pulled back their footprint from Atlanta and parts of SC. Kroger purchased the HT stores in Atlanta. Ironically HT is a subsidiary of Kroger now and Bi-Lo is gone.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news...g/29634906007/
Can’t rep ya but interesting.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:20 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Harris Teeter expanded more to the northeast in Maryland and Virginia, rather than remain in Atlanta. I think they have one Florida store remaining near Jacksonville. But looks like they would rebrand some of the Kroger stores in Atlanta to the Harris Teeter banner. Seems that would be stronger competition with Publix. They did this exact strategy in Raleigh-Durham, where Kroger stores were converted to Harris Teeter. But both Kroger and Harris Teeter had a presence in the Triangle at that time, and I guess Kroger decided it was detrimental to compete against itself so they chose to maintain the Harris Teeter brand, long dominant in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area