Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:07 PM

15,674 posts, read 15,833,363 times

Advertisements

There was a big stir with Adam Grant's article on "Languishing." He was thinking in terms of the pandemic, but I'm thinking it's really also like the numbness after open grief wears down. Society expects people to bounce right back. But we don't.

Feeling Blah? It is Known as Languishing,
https://www.kavanews.com/2021/04/fee...d-languishing/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 PM

23,683 posts, read 70,818,854 times
What was YOUR experience? Please don't sit behind the shield of an article on such a subject.

Grant posited one possible response. There are others.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,423,403 times
Nine months after my husband died, I feel a constant undercurrent of sadness. I don't like it and it's not "me" per se. I want it to go away but it just doesn't. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't walk around in the world all sad and blue and looking disheveled or anything like that, but I am very aware of it.

I try to stay busy because at least now I can BE busy with other things and actually get into them - which is an improvement. So I try to look at the positive way I am getting stronger. But I do know that when I stop being busy, and just sit, or get in the bed, or whatever, I am flooded with memories. Like in the bed, I can remember my darling husband sleeping beside me, or snuggling with him watching TV, or whatever. In the long evenings, as I watch a show or read, I feel melancholy. I really, really INTENSELY dislike this feeling, in part because it's so alien to me.

Each milestone I pass really does leave me feeling a bit stronger - like the first holidays, first birthdays, etc. I have no idea how I am going to feel on the actual anniversary of his death, which was absolutely THE WORST DAY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. But I do know I will be happy it's passed when it's over.

One thing that does bring me some comfort is knowing that my sadness, my ongoing grief, is evidence of the deep love we shared, and I am grateful for that love.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:37 PM

11,265 posts, read 7,315,944 times
I know people vary in this area. My sister-in-law says that the death of her husband (my brother) has left her with trouble breathing. Even breathing is difficult due to this loss. It's affected her that deeply.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,705,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nine months after my husband died, I feel a constant undercurrent of sadness. I don't like it and it's not "me" per se. I want it to go away but it just doesn't. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't walk around in the world all sad and blue and looking disheveled or anything like that, but I am very aware of it.

I try to stay busy because at least now I can BE busy with other things and actually get into them - which is an improvement. So I try to look at the positive way I am getting stronger. But I do know that when I stop being busy, and just sit, or get in the bed, or whatever, I am flooded with memories. Like in the bed, I can remember my darling husband sleeping beside me, or snuggling with him watching TV, or whatever. In the long evenings, as I watch a show or read, I feel melancholy. I really, really INTENSELY dislike this feeling, in part because it's so alien to me.

Each milestone I pass really does leave me feeling a bit stronger - like the first holidays, first birthdays, etc. I have no idea how I am going to feel on the actual anniversary of his death, which was absolutely THE WORST DAY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. But I do know I will be happy it's passed when it's over.

One thing that does bring me some comfort is knowing that my sadness, my ongoing grief, is evidence of the deep love we shared, and I am grateful for that love.
You've accomplished quite a lot in the short time since your husband left the earth.

Yes, you are very fortunate to have had such a great love! It must be really hard to have to have let that go, but do you try to talk to him? I think talking to a departed loved one can be very helpful and healing.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:07 PM

33,050 posts, read 36,688,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I know people vary in this area. My sister-in-law says that the death of her husband (my brother) has left her with trouble breathing. Even breathing is difficult due to this loss. It's affected her that deeply.
My seemingly healthy (for her age) mom became diabetic, acquired a cardiac condition, GERD, and a few other things. The stress of living alone was killing her. She had never, ever, lived on her own.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:

That's why I'd sleep on the couch as often as not. It was a really nice, comfortable, couch. When I started on one, I'd often end up on the other. I didn't sleep through the night for a long time.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:

That's why I'd sleep on the couch as often as not. It was a really nice, comfortable, couch. When I started on one, I'd often end up on the other. I didn't sleep through the night for a long time.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:34 AM

13,304 posts, read 8,547,021 times
that word is appropo . Glad someone placed an article to explain it.

I called it Mulling.

As much as Grieving is labeled an individual thing, it takes a village to bring the person to a new level of life balancing. I've zero doubt that without the small kind gestures of friends and strangers I would have NOT gotten thru some of the darkest of times. There is not ONE good thing in the loss "in and of itself". It is the focal point for the griever. The by products though are numerous.

No way can I identify with "being" strong thru grief. My therapist said- Stop being an oak if you are a willow. Made sense, and I accepted that my grief was going to be bendable. Shielding . Wavering.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:57 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,070,230 times
I don't know if grief fades. And I don't think of mourning as languishing, but perhaps it is in a way. I think of mourning as sort of existing, not living. I guess these types of feeling are different for each person and change as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning