Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:27 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times

Advertisements

The condo lifestyle is not for everyone but I knew I didn’t want to take care of a house and it’s perfect for me. I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 09:23 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
I appreciate all the poster's responses. Many recommend hiring the services to cover the yard, car, and house maintenace.

But but but...
  • I don't even know what I am supposed to get. One poster mentioned that the HVAC needs to be serviced regularly. I never had central a/c, that wasn't even on my list.
  • Some of it turns out to be ridiculously easy. I got a notice that I was delinquent in pressure-washing the side-walk in front of my house. All it involves, is standing and pointing the pressure washer. Seeing as I brought some of my husband's equipment w/ me. It doesn't make sense for me to pay to have that done. But I have no idea what is easy and what my husband only made to look easy. So I am figuring it out.
  • Not knowing how to do any of this, makes me feel even more out-of-control of a life that has been turned upside down. Becoming more self-reliant is important to me right now.
Some things are more important than others, just deal with the important things until you do not feel overwhelmed.

Servicing HVAC only requires a phone call, plus, and I'm sure someone will tell me I am wrong, but the system will not fall apart if you skip a maintenance.

But DO change your filter regularly, that IS important, pay attention to the arrows on the filter.

We live in the age of the internet, where we can google "home maintenance schedule", and POOF, it is right before us. You will be totally self reliant soon, everyday you learn something new.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-31-2021, 03:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
When we had our big "Snowmageddon" here in Texas in I think February, temps dropped below 0 for nearly a week. I mean, the HIGHS were like, 4 degrees. That's not typical for this area. Plus we had nearly a foot of snow, then ice, then more snow - OMG. Well, I was living in a very nice house in a very nice area, and by golly, I was responsible for it all, including the expensive pool equipment.

I remember I was on some social media platform, where everyone locally was talking about how to winterize stuff and some woman on there had a pool. She was 60 years old, and she didn't know what to do. Someone told her "wrap your pipes and drain your pumps." She said, "I'm just a poor old widow woman, I don't know anything about draining pumps. I'm just going to let it do whatever and hope for the best." (There were power outages in the forecast.) Pretty sure her equipment was damaged. What ticked me off is that by golly, I was responsible for this pool and the equipment and I did what I needed to do - and had no damage. I'm a 59 year old "widow woman."

It ticked me off that I knew I had no choice - if I didn't want a jacked up pool and yard and all that. I mean, I guess I DID have a choice - I could pay for extensive damages later - but I didn't pull the "old widow woman" card.

My husband had been dead for about 6 months.

I recall after the freeze broke, I called the pool company and said, "OK, I did everything I think I was supposed to do, but I'm scared to turn stuff on. Can you come out here and do that one thing?" They said sure, and came out and turned it all on, and it all worked with no damage. The pool company guy told me they had over 200 pumps backordered. No telling when they'd come in.

Was it a hassle to drain the pumps? Yes. Was it necessary? Yes. So I did it.

We do what we have to do. And we CAN do it.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Very much. I am lost and alone. It’s awful.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:18 PM

557 posts, read 297,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Very much. I am lost and alone. It’s awful.
Your post made me cry. Here is a virtual hug. Everyone here can relate to how you are feeling. This sub-forum has made a real difference for me. I feel free to yell and cry here. I don't feel judged. Through everyone here, I have learned there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Unfortunately, I have also learned there are no shortcuts. I do feel less alone since coming here. I most appreciate the support and encouragement for my fledgling efforts to find a path forward. And the laughter and tears that we have shared over a common bond that none of us asked for.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:47 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Foxy, I hope you have family and friends to help you during this difficult time.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Foxy, I hope you have family and friends to help you during this difficult time.
That’s my biggest issue. I have no family or friends. I am truly alone.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
Your post made me cry. Here is a virtual hug. Everyone here can relate to how you are feeling. This sub-forum has made a real difference for me. I feel free to yell and cry here. I don't feel judged. Through everyone here, I have learned there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Unfortunately, I have also learned there are no shortcuts. I do feel less alone since coming here. I most appreciate the support and encouragement for my fledgling efforts to find a path forward. And the laughter and tears that we have shared over a common bond that none of us asked for.
Thanks a lot.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:43 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
That hurts my heart.

It is never too late to form a new "family" and we are here for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2021, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I know it's not quite the same but we're here for you! What a hard time you are going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning