Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 07:31 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

Every once in a while my husband would cook a massive late breakfast on Sunday. He made really good French toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I miss road trips with my husband. I also miss vacations - he was just a terrific partner and he always wanted me to have great vacations. I miss exploring the world with my husband, near and far.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 AM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thankfully I moved. I downsized which was necessary but also very therapeutic. This is MY place, MY house, MY stuff, MY decisions. Yes, it's all on me but I can't stress enough how much it means to have my own place, without any ghosts wandering around. It was hard. I am not going to lie. It was super hard. But I did it and I am so glad I did.
Me, too. I simply could NOT remain in the home we shared. Many find comfort in doing so. Time and again, I was hit with the realization that he was never coming home. It was not home without him there.
Moving through and on from grief takes time and a tremendous amount of emotional energy. Those that have had the experience understand.

Old 07-30-2022, 06:58 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,924 times
Redbird, I can’t give you another rep either, but thanks for sharing your memories. The calling you “baby” hit me - the nicknames our loved ones called us by is among the fondest of memories.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Redbird, I can’t give you another rep either, but thanks for sharing your memories. The calling you “baby” hit me - the nicknames our loved ones called us by is among the fondest of memories.

I remember that my husband used to call me Baby Girl occasionally - and that's the very same thing my dad would call me. My heart would melt when he called me that! Now both of them are gone and no one would call a 60 year old woman Baby Girl anymore. I'm the matriarch now in fact.

I miss hearing that term.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:24 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
I miss the twice a week phone calls I had with my parents right into their 90s as I did not live close by. They were always so interested in everything my family and I were doing. We did have a set day and time and they were punctual to the minute while calling and we talked exactly one hour. My parents were very organized people haha!

The first time the phone did not ring after years of our “scheduled” time, I just sat there feeling so sad and teary. It is a wonderful feeling to know your parents always wish the best for you and you are always their precious child, no matter how old.

Later, I spoke with Mom more often after Dad died and that was great, too. Luckily they were both sharp right to the end. I will always miss hearing, “I love you, my dear daughter” at the end of every call. Here I am - teary again.

Last edited by shamrock4; 08-02-2022 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2022, 12:48 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
in the mist of enduring my Sister in law nearing her end of life( hospice ) , I can sincerely say I am going thru the years of memories we shared .

Our phone calls- we could laugh just in daily talk. The stories we shared! The comfort we gave one another during the loss of our parents. We knew the instant we got a call and picked up that we'd both be in stitches thru out our talk.

The thought filled letters/cards and nonsensical gag gifts we'd send one another. Gosh how we loved to send those little tokens of "lighten up sistah!".

She was the only one of my sister in laws that remained constant thru all these years. All 45 of them that she has been married to my brother. My brother is very much the introvert, yet even his voice ( the few words he could muster- Broke My heart ) He has been her companion. She has been his rock in life.

I'll miss her unwavering "faith". Her allegiance to her Military Family. Even as a Vet she remained dedicated to so many community projects. Her Military gals will dearly miss her.

I'm sure moments will flash thru as I mentally prepare for this inevitable loss. I just can't help but think...How very much I wish I could be there with her...To bring one last laugh to her day. She lives 1200 miles away ....and I am feeling every inch of that distance as I reflect on the joy that will fade when she departs.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:11 PM

16,092 posts, read 10,757,764 times
My wife died 15 years ago July 30, so the last week of July is always a time of remembering and, sadly, often playing out the events like a video in my head.

I have been cleaning out my garage and (as I mentioned on an earlier post) found 23 photo albums. I knew I had a bunch but 23? Many are old family albums with people I don't know but half are of our married life together -- various road trips or family celebrations, our wedding pictures, building our two homes, our dog and later cats, and our daughter, who came along eight years into our marriage. She was with me as we went through the albums trying to categorize them and decide how to manage the thousands of pictures. (She is a photo archivist at the city art museum.)

So, looking back at all of that, you can reconstruct your history as a family. What do we miss? It is the road trips, and the simple conversations, cooking breakfast, painting the living room, playing softball with friends, teaching our daughter to roller skate or ride a bike, 1st day at school, volunteering at the senior class graduation lock-in, Halloween costumes, Christmas mornings, and all of that and more. But it is the little mundane things that might seem inconsequential at the time that I miss. If I could get anything back it would be the casual conversations and time holding hands walking down the street.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:54 AM

As the two year anniversary of my husband's death looms before me, I think of what all we were doing two years ago. He was home because of the pandemic. Our granddaughter was with us. I remember we went to Fort Worth and walked around and laughed and it was great. We went out to eat at a few of our favorite places, which was fun (in fact, his last meal out with me was to the place where he told me he decided he was going to marry me if I'd have him!). We went out on the lake. We went swimming in our pool, with our old dog, every single day. You know what I miss the most though? Like the above posts said - the conversations. The camaraderie. Just his adorable company. I miss looking at him through the shower door and thinking "He's looking a little older but he's still hot!" I remember laying on his chest and hearing his heart, which would kill him in a few weeks, thumping away. I remember laughing with him. I remember sitting out on the back patio with him after our time in the pool, just laughing and talking. How I miss that man.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:56 PM

696 posts, read 704,064 times
I miss going for a walk every night after dinner while holding my honey’s hand and stopping to pet any dogs we encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning