Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 09:45 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times

Advertisements

I know the OP said no shotguns, but for those who might want a shotgun... the Kel Tec KS7 is very nice. Small versatile easy to use... https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/shotguns/ks7/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 12:39 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What’s the purpose of the snake shot?

Automatically emptying one’s weapon seems like poor strategy, but I guess I could be missing something. . .
Snake shot isn't so "target precise." Chances are, if something like this happens, emotion and adrenalin will be pumping. This can cause add'l strength when it comes to trigger pull. No matter how much training one has, there are always variables. The snake shot is just supposed to slow down the perp. The other 4 rounds are to retire the perp, permanently. After taking 2 shots, riddled with pellets, this should slow down the meth induced perp. This is where the next 4 rounds come in, to "neutralize the threat."

I guess I should clarify...the last 4 rounds don't necessarily have to be "center of mass." Save the last one for a head shot.

Or, use a wonder-9. 15 rounds might slow them down some, and if that doesn't work, then they'll be heavier when they finally do die.

PRO-TIP~ "Help" the perp by placing venom in the hollow point and then sealing it with wax.

If venom is too hard to acquire, then fentanyl would do the trick, too. (And, it's widely available.)

Next, is body disposal...

Old 12-18-2022, 02:18 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Snake shot isn't so "target precise." Chances are, if something like this happens, emotion and adrenalin will be pumping. This can cause add'l strength when it comes to trigger pull. No matter how much training one has, there are always variables. The snake shot is just supposed to slow down the perp. The other 4 rounds are to retire the perp, permanently. After taking 2 shots, riddled with pellets, this should slow down the meth induced perp. This is where the next 4 rounds come in, to "neutralize the threat."

I guess I should clarify...the last 4 rounds don't necessarily have to be "center of mass." Save the last one for a head shot.

Or, use a wonder-9. 15 rounds might slow them down some, and if that doesn't work, then they'll be heavier when they finally do die.

PRO-TIP~ "Help" the perp by placing venom in the hollow point and then sealing it with wax.

If venom is too hard to acquire, then fentanyl would do the trick, too. (And, it's widely available.)

Next, is body disposal...
Ah, a joke post. Got it.

Old 12-18-2022, 02:50 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I get what you're saying but I would still run an AR-15 for home defense over pretty much every option.

I've seen a lot of ballistic testing videos where 5.56 rounds have less tendency to penetrate walls than 9mm.

5.56 are so light and fast they begin to tumble and break up after a few sections of drywall. 9mm seem to actually over penetrate more. Especially if we are comparing fmj to fmj.

Do not however use anything bigger than 5.56. Something like 7.62x39 shreds. It will absolutely over penetrate a lot. It's a significant difference.

Just my 02 cents
9mm FMJ - 22 sheetrock panels
.223 FMJ - 22 sheetrock panels

9mm hollow point - 17 sheetrock panels
.223 hollow point - 16 sheetrock panels

Lesson #1 - use hollow points.

Lesson #2 - everything overpenetrates if you miss your target, so hit your target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6RivTpWjmU

Old 12-19-2022, 08:59 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,171,757 times
If shotgun recoil is the issue for the OP....just get a smaller gauge shotgun 20 ga or 410 ga. Much reduced recoil compared to a 12 ga.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:56 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Weight of the shotgun and action type matters. A lighter weight 20ga with 3” shells can wallop you. Trust me- I know first hand, lol.

Old 12-20-2022, 04:46 PM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
410 with a lazer sight, slugs or shot or slug followed up with shot.

Don't know what 15 round cap is going to do for your situation. Aim, shoot, don't spray. Good to know where each round went.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:11 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
9mm FMJ - 22 sheetrock panels
.223 FMJ - 22 sheetrock panels

9mm hollow point - 17 sheetrock panels
.223 hollow point - 16 sheetrock panels

Lesson #1 - use hollow points.

Lesson #2 - everything overpenetrates if you miss your target, so hit your target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6RivTpWjmU

100% the load you use is more important than the caliber. Using FMJ indoor as home defense is guaranteed over penetration.

Old 12-20-2022, 05:18 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
For home defense, if "no shotguns are allowed" then I'd choose a revolver in 38/357 w/4" bbl.

First 2 are snake shot rounds. Next 4 are .357 JHP's.

The intruder gets all 6, automatically.

This is a terrible strategy. Don't do this.

If there are multiple intruders you're screwed if you "cylinder dump" all your ammo into the first guy. You're dead. I Also don't see the point of snake shot. If you're shooting someone it's because your life is in imminent danger and if you are in that scenario you need to immediately do all possible to eliminate the threat. I will be using all JHP ammo. I'm not messing around with Snake shot which may or may not incapacitate anyone and by that point you've giveaway your position and wasted 1/3 of your ammo on a novelty.

If you are going the route of a pistol for home defense go the tried and true method of a fullsize striker fired pistol without a safety (if you are in a free state get 17rd mags) and attach a light and load it with 17 rounds of hollow points. You need a light to identify what that shadowy figure is moving at the end of the hall, is it your kid sneaking in past curfew or a burglar? Don't guess, know for sure.

Here are 2 videos worth considering

https://youtu.be/PbdmQ5IN2j0

https://youtu.be/i3sLHGduI3w

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 12-20-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 03:04 AM

625 posts, read 791,746 times
AR15 carbine. Light, easy to use, accurate and dependable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting