Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaeurope38 View Post
Same here. Everybody I know has modified their houses and torn down the walls between the kitchen and living room, but I can't stand the cooking smell going all over the house.

Like I said, my 1932 house with a 600 square foot first floor gets the sounds and smells traveling throughout the house ANYHOW. So how is opening it up slightly going to make it worse? Answer: it wont, no matter what turf3 has to say about it.

And I LOVE the smell of pasta sauce or bacon going through the house when cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themepartydecorations View Post
Me too! Even I don't like the idea of open floors and merged spaces. We had kitchen adjoining our living room and the cooking smell used to sink in the living room area and spoil the Theme Party Decorations we organised at our place.

Hmm, this post smells particularly of spam... 1 post and bolded part same as the user name...

Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 PM

805 posts, read 524,284 times
I love to cook, and I love a dedicated kitchen room with 4 walls.

One thing I really miss in modern homes is the kitchen table. It’s been replaced by an island, which serves as a bar with seating, which is often right next to dining table and chairs. I find that unappealing from a design standpoint, and redundant. Give me a large kitchen with a big kitchen table, or I’ll take a dining room with walls. No island for me.

Open floor plans are supposed to be great for parents, but I don’t see the advantage of cooking in the same room as my kid playing video games loudly.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Open floor plans are supposed to be great for parents, but I don’t see the advantage of cooking in the same room as my kid playing video games loudly.

If your toddler is playing video games, get him/her a contract with a gaming company, quick! When the open floor plan is talked about by parents, it's parents of toddlers up to about 5 years old, where you don't want them in the kitchen by the stove/oven where you are, but you do want to be able to watch them/hear them playing safely and not left alone in a close doff room.

Not teenagers that are playing video games in the next room.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
I love to cook, and I love a dedicated kitchen room with 4 walls.

One thing I really miss in modern homes is the kitchen table. It’s been replaced by an island, which serves as a bar with seating, which is often right next to dining table and chairs. I find that unappealing from a design standpoint, and redundant. Give me a large kitchen with a big kitchen table, or I’ll take a dining room with walls. No island for me.

I see you aren't up to speed on the latest dictates.

The open floor plan for houses is now the one true floor plan for houses. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. If the open style floor plan does not meet your needs or lifestyle, you are required to adapt your needs and lifestyle to suit the one true floor plan.

As it is on HGTV, so shall it be in Architectural Digest, world without end, forever and ever, amen.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM

805 posts, read 524,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
If your toddler is playing video games, get him/her a contract with a gaming company, quick! When the open floor plan is talked about by parents, it's parents of toddlers up to about 5 years old, where you don't want them in the kitchen by the stove/oven where you are, but you do want to be able to watch them/hear them playing safely and not left alone in a close doff room.

Not teenagers that are playing video games in the next room.
Exactly. But they don’t stay toddlers for long. With teens, rooms are a blessing.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:47 PM

388 posts, read 473,864 times
I'm with you, OP!

I especially hate kitchens open to the living room.

I make huge messes in the kitchens while cooking. Guests don't need to see that.

And I want to contain the cooking / bleach smells. If the smell is yummy, I'll open the door.

And who wants to hear the dishwasher or ice maker?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,168 times
I don't like open floor plans at all. They make the house appear larger but I like the privacy of rooms with walls.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Exactly. But they don’t stay toddlers for long. With teens, rooms are a blessing.
Eh.

My 14 year old son goes upstairs when he wants a bit of space and distance. But I like that we can be doing our own thing but still be together when we are downstairs. He does homework or plays on his computer while I'm reading or cooking or using my own computer and we can still exchange some conversation.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
I love the way the "open floor plan faithful" want to argue with us about how much better the open floor plan is. No matter what you say to explain why you don't like that layout, they tell you you're wrong and that it's actually better.

I don't understand how open floor plans became an article of religious faith. Maybe because a lot of people are now realizing that they spent a pants load of money on a house that they don't really like, and have to justify the decision no matter what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating