Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 PM

307 posts, read 256,007 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of open concept. I suppose it can work in certain climates and I'm sure it works for some people's lifestyles. But not for me. We (hubby and I and 4 kids) just moved from a 1962 tri-level to a 1925 2 story Craftsman. I love my new house! The tri level wasn't true open floorplan but it was definitely a prototype of sorts for the open concept. It was 1600 sqft and when you walked in the front door you were instantly in the living room and could see the "dining room" (really it was an extension of the kitchen since there was no "formal dining room"). You could also see into the back yard since the dining area had a large window.

Our "new" house is definitely old school...~2750 sq ft and we have an actual foyer off the front door, formal dining room and no real open concept. The Solarium opens off the living room as does the dining room both with arched doorways but I don't really think that counts as open concept. At any rate I love it. I grew up in a 1920s bungalow style house and it feels like home to me even though I spent 14 years living in that tri level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I hate being able to see the kitchen from the entrance-way of the house. And I prefer that the kitchen be separate and not seen from the living room. I don't often use a formal dining room, but if I were to design my perfect floor plan I would include a dining room that is adjacent to both the kitchen and the living room, but in a separate room. I also prefer that the dining room not be the first room that you seen when entering the house.

However, I do like the idea of having a family room or den in view of a large, eat-in kitchen.

So I guess I like a mixture.

I know you wrote this post a long time ago, but I'm with you.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I'm not a fan of open concept. I suppose it can work in certain climates and I'm sure it works for some people's lifestyles. But not for me. We (hubby and I and 4 kids) just moved from a 1962 tri-level to a 1925 2 story Craftsman. I love my new house! The tri level wasn't true open floorplan but it was definitely a prototype of sorts for the open concept. It was 1600 sqft and when you walked in the front door you were instantly in the living room and could see the "dining room" (really it was an extension of the kitchen since there was no "formal dining room"). You could also see into the back yard since the dining area had a large window.

Our "new" house is definitely old school...~2750 sq ft and we have an actual foyer off the front door, formal dining room and no real open concept. The Solarium opens off the living room as does the dining room both with arched doorways but I don't really think that counts as open concept. At any rate I love it. I grew up in a 1920s bungalow style house and it feels like home to me even though I spent 14 years living in that tri level
Sounds wonderful!

Old 03-28-2019, 05:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
I bought a house with a hallway at the front door because I hate to just have someone open the door and see everything. It is opened somewhat once you get into the dining area but not when someone comes to the front door and comes in. Opened concept but also somewhat private.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Love open. Hate individual rooms.
I miss our ranch style open concept in
Dallas Texas.
Moved to a traditional 4 on 4.
Every room downstairs is closed except kitchen and family room.
Hate hate hate hate hate

Last edited by Gilah G.; 03-28-2019 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
Having no wall space is a disadvantage if you enjoy collecting art.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:19 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I think a lot of you would hate our new house :x All open except for the bed/bath/utility areas. And lots of glass - some floor to ceiling.

PS I feel like at any given time we have 2-3 threads of continuous discussion on this same topic on various sub forums

Old 03-29-2019, 03:30 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Somehow a myth has gotten started that having individual rooms means no windows thus dark. I don't understand this as the houses I grew up in had giant windows 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide (double hung sash) and individual rooms.

Yes, in the 1970s there were a lot of houses built with a rabbit warren of little rooms and one tiny little window each, way up high. But from about 1870 through the 1950s the norm was large windows and separate rooms, especially in the South where people opened the windows for ventilation in the summer.

I would invite any of you to visit my 1300 sq. ft. 1939 house with 7' x 4' and 5' x 3' windows and tell me it doesn't have lots of natural light.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:48 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Somehow a myth has gotten started that having individual rooms means no windows thus dark. I don't understand this as the houses I grew up in had giant windows 7 feet tall and 4 feet wide (double hung sash) and individual rooms.

Yes, in the 1970s there were a lot of houses built with a rabbit warren of little rooms and one tiny little window each, way up high. But from about 1870 through the 1950s the norm was large windows and separate rooms, especially in the South where people opened the windows for ventilation in the summer.

I would invite any of you to visit my 1300 sq. ft. 1939 house with 7' x 4' and 5' x 3' windows and tell me it doesn't have lots of natural light.
I prefer open but I agree that, when designed properly, houses with more traditional walled off rooms still get plenty of natural light. If a house doesn't have good natural lighting, it just wasn't designed well, regardless of the architectural style.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:53 AM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I think a lot of you would hate our new house :x All open except for the bed/bath/utility areas. And lots of glass - some floor to ceiling.
p

Your house is gorgeous!

Magazine beautiful, and incredible for someone other than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating