Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:20 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I think a lot of you would hate our new house :x All open except for the bed/bath/utility areas. And lots of glass - some floor to ceiling.

PS I feel like at any given time we have 2-3 threads of continuous discussion on this same topic on various sub forums

I don't hate it at all, it just isn't my taste, that's all.

but, looking at the pictures, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the upper cabinets look more than the standard 17-18 inches from the counter top???

I'm only 5'7" so that's why I noticed......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 07:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
I like both. Depends on the house. My current house is open concept for the living room, kitchen and dining area and I love it. If these rooms were closed off, it would be tiny and claustrophobic. I live alone though, so I don't need separate space to curtail noise or activity.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 570 times
I hate open concept homes. I like true foyers, hallways, and square rooms with doors and lots of large windows.

I personally don't understand open concept living. It's not more convenient to have a pass through bar to the living room. You still have walk into the kitchen to get whatever you need. And if the barstools are in the living space, it ends up looking crowded.

I have also never understood having a wet bar in the living room, especially when the kitchen is equidistant to the bar.

I like tall ceilings, nine or ten feet, but I hate vaulted ceilings.

My personal tastes have made home shopping difficult.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
I've posted in this thread before about how I don't like my current extremely open floor plan, but there is one thing that I do like. When I'm in my kitchen (in the center of the living space with only a back wall, and visible from the front door), I have a perfect view of a TV in each of the two gathering rooms. It's nice to not have to find a space for a kitchen TV.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:11 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
A modified open floor plan adjacent to a really functional kitchen is best in my mind.

If there is a breakfast area/ kitchen seating area for eating, then I think a formal (some walls) dining area would be preferable.

Completely open floor plans are best suited for studio apartments or large lofts and if done properly, there’re really cool, IMO.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:34 AM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I've posted in this thread before about how I don't like my current extremely open floor plan, but there is one thing that I do like. When I'm in my kitchen (in the center of the living space with only a back wall, and visible from the front door), I have a perfect view of a TV in each of the two gathering rooms. It's nice to not have to find a space for a kitchen TV.

True enough, LOL, and for us, our open concept house provides a great view of our magnificent outdoors, the flora and fauna, from all corners of this common living space. The bedrooms, bathrooms and utility room are separate, but the bedrooms also have large windows looking out over our piece of paradise.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:54 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I'm not a fan of open concept. I suppose it can work in certain climates and I'm sure it works for some people's lifestyles. But not for me. ....
Nor me. The feeling is too much like the public areas of resort hotels.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 AM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
Your house is gorgeous!

Magazine beautiful, and incredible for someone other than me.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't hate it at all, it just isn't my taste, that's all.

but, looking at the pictures, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the upper cabinets look more than the standard 17-18 inches from the counter top???

I'm only 5'7" so that's why I noticed......
I understand! We are both 5'8" though and it is not really an issue. There is so much storage in this kitchen that we wouldn't be able to fill them all unless we bought more things just to fill them. But there are only 2 of us and we keep a pretty minimal set of dinnerware etc.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Having no wall space is a disadvantage if you enjoy collecting art.

THIS is exactly what I realized after we bought our former "open concept" house. We are avid collectors of original artwork, and between the open concept and the many huge windows, we had very little wall space.

There were things I liked about it (for starters I love a lot of natural light and goodness, we had that) but I hated this aspect of it.

When we moved, we bought a house with a lot of tall windows and archways between rooms, but it has ROOMS. With walls. Tall ceilings. Best of both worlds - plenty of natural light but plenty of places to hang art.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLynch View Post
I hate open concept homes. I like true foyers, hallways, and square rooms with doors and lots of large windows.

I personally don't understand open concept living. It's not more convenient to have a pass through bar to the living room. You still have walk into the kitchen to get whatever you need. And if the barstools are in the living space, it ends up looking crowded.

I have also never understood having a wet bar in the living room, especially when the kitchen is equidistant to the bar.

I like tall ceilings, nine or ten feet, but I hate vaulted ceilings.

My personal tastes have made home shopping difficult.
I probably shouldn't mention the bar in my master bedroom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating