Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:02 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times

Advertisements

I don't see the point in arguing about it. To each their own. I have a ceiling that is three stories tall in part of my house. I hate it with a passion. Making sure it doesn't accumulate cobwebs I'd such a joy. Did I mention I hate it? ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I don't see the point in arguing about it. To each their own. I have a ceiling that is three stories tall in part of my house. I hate it with a passion. Making sure it doesn't accumulate cobwebs I'd such a joy. Did I mention I hate it? ��
I always wanted this, but its never occurred to me getting cobwebs out of it. Which is silly since Im always cleaning cobwebs out of the house I have now.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,486 times
Quote:

I'm guessing my ceilings are around 16 feet high , I have extended rod dusters , never had any cobwebs though , maybe it's because I have ceiling fans on often , the ceiling fans collect the dust instead of the furniture.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:00 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
"Webster" with extension pole.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Ugh, I love the feeling of spaciousness in super tall ceilings but I don't like the upkeep. We are about to have to shell out MEGABUCKS to have professionals paint the inside of the front of our house because the ceilings are between 10 and 20 plus feet tall. My husband and I are not going to climb up on scaffolding and there's simply no cut off point. There's lots of trim as well as painting just the walls and ceilings.

We don't really have an open floor plan but the foyer and the two rooms off it (dining and office) are open to each other. Thank goodness the kitchen and living room are both separate.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I went through a house the other day that a friend is considering buying and whoever designed the house wanted tall ceilings all through the house and wanted small, enclosed rooms. A lot of the rooms have the proportions of a cereal box. Granted the rooms are mostly empty at the moment, but the echo, even with plush staged furniture and rugs is unfortunate. They'd have been better off "settling" for, say 10-12' ceilings in these small rooms and skipping the 15-20' ceilings.

The office, for example, is 15'x10' with a 20' high ceiling with an entire wall of west-facing windows. It'll be a monster to heat in the winter and cool in the summer, plus it'll need some sort of motorized shades for the top windows.

I like high ceilings, too, but in the right rooms.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-30-2018, 08:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I went through a house the other day that a friend is considering buying and whoever designed the house wanted tall ceilings all through the house and wanted small, enclosed rooms. A lot of the rooms have the proportions of a cereal box. Granted the rooms are mostly empty at the moment, but the echo, even with plush staged furniture and rugs is unfortunate. They'd have been better off "settling" for, say 10-12' ceilings in these small rooms and skipping the 15-20' ceilings.

The office, for example, is 15'x10' with a 20' high ceiling with an entire wall of west-facing windows. It'll be a monster to heat in the winter and cool in the summer, plus it'll need some sort of motorized shades for the top windows.

I like high ceilings, too, but in the right rooms.
The ceiling height in any regular sized room (not a small service room) should never be higher than the room’s minimum dimension. The proportions are just awkward and uncomfortable otherwise. Some double height entries may be the exception but I am not a fan at all of them.

Mostly there is rarely a good design reason for a ceiling height to be higher than 10’ in most residential architecture which is plenty of space for both volume and ceiling design elements. Though some custom houses showcasing the structural elements: trusses; beams; collar ties and perhaps a tongue and groove ceiling of a beautiful wood species of a vaulted ceiling would certainly be included in the exception to that rule.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:33 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Our house is a combo of open and closed off, the family room is two stories with a sloped ceiling, second floor loft overlooks said family room, but other than that, there are defined rooms, each with halls, some connected by pocket doors...the kitchen is separated from the dining room by a pocket door for example, but semi open to the living room..

Love this way better than a ginormous space all merged together. Then again, the style of the house is traditional, so it's appropriate.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
If I were ever able to buy, one of the first things I'd reject is vaulted ceilings! Living in an apartment now with them may give the illusion of a larger space; however, the increase in utility cost is a disaster. During the summer and winter I'm paying to heat or cool wasted space, now if I walked around on stilts perhaps that would be different.

As far as open floor plans, I say nix to having the kitchen in the same room as the living room/family room. For some it may work as far as feeling a part of everything while stuck in the kitchen, or being able to watch their children more closely. But for me, I prefer to have the sounds and smells of cooking in a separate room.

A friend has a very large 2 story home and on the second level there is a large so-called 'bonus' area that is completely useless. That space should have been used to increase the size of the bedrooms, which are all too small.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 AM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
We just replaced another ceiling light fixture in our home. It definitely crossed my mind that it would be a much bigger deal to change out light fixtures (and paint colors) with vaulted ceilings.

I love the coziness of rooms, especially this time of year. I also enjoy with lower heating bills.

But maybe my favorite advantage to separate rooms is the ability to decorate each separately. I'm always changing things up, and it's nice to be able to play with one room at a time. My living room is warm and my dining room is cool in color scheme--and it's a good thing that they are separated by a center hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating