Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,414,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Va-CAt, does it matter if the stain is old? I have old non descript greasy looking old stains that I have tried and tried to get out but to no avail.

I think it is grease from food spilled on my shirts because I am a sloppy eater.

Also, does Pine Sol take the color out of clothing? I have heard about using it on whites... but not sure about colors.
Its especially good on old stains (ones that have been through the wash & dryer and are still there). DH is a sloppy eater too(I tell him that I'm gonna buy him a bib) I've used it on all sorts of colored COTTON and cotton blend fabrics with no color change. I might be a bit more careful if its silk or a non-colorfast synthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:24 PM

24,496 posts, read 26,042,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sometimes CD does add subforums. You could ask over in "About the Forum". If enuf peeps express an interest they add a new one and move all related posts to the new forum/sub forum. If they did we could have an individual thread for each category. Of course we would still need a volunteer to deconstruct this one.
Ya, know what you mean about the deconstruct deal. I have done this in the past, but I had the tools and access to go it.

Sent a message to the mod to see if they could offer any thoughts or suggestions.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,057,481 times
I had a water stain from a mug on my wood coffee table. I took a paper towel folded it and put it over the stain. Then I took a hot iron and ironed over it. It took the stain right out!!! I was amazed!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Got a spot on your cotten laundry that just won't come out? Here is another use for Pine Sol. Rub it into the stain (full strength) and let it sit for about 10 minutes before washing. I use it on DH's cotton dress shirts and it works better than anything else I've ever tried. Its worked for butter, tomato, oil, grease, ink...you name it and it has gotten it out.
Really? Okay, that is a new one on me . . . gonna put my Pine Sol in the laundry room . . . Thank you VaCat!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sometimes CD does add subforums. You could ask over in "About the Forum". If enuf peeps express an interest they add a new one and move all related posts to the new forum/sub forum. If they did we could have an individual thread for each category. Of course we would still need a volunteer to deconstruct this one.
LOL! Well, I started the thread and have pretty much kept up with it all along. I would be glad to categorize it, but would assume a Moderator would have to take the task on. I have put a lot of time into this thread and pretty much know what is on it, tho. I have been so proud of the responses - so many wonderful, innovative and tried and true tips.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:49 PM

We need holiday tips. Like . . . how to keep your Christmas tree fresh. Anyone have tips on this? i have heard you should spray it with fabric softener. Anyone else heard that?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:06 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,521,202 times
Great stuff in this thread.

Any ideas how to get the humidity out of a house short of buying a dehumidifier. Wet windows on the inside when warm in and cold out.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Great stuff in this thread.

Any ideas how to get the humidity out of a house short of buying a dehumidifier. Wet windows on the inside when warm in and cold out.
Good question. The only way I have known to lower moisture inside a house is with a dehumidifier.

I have had this problem in the past and ended up rolling up towels and putting them along window sills to catch the drips when the interior glass would sweat! What I finally did was crack the window at the top a bit so that the temp on the window was not so much different than the outdoor temperature. Of course, that means either very cold or very warm air is coming back into the inside environment.

If you roll up towels, just remember to change and wash them every two days or so. Pain to mess with!!!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM

391 posts, read 513,999 times
I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if it's here already. Two things I can't do without:microfiber cloths and Borax. Borax cleans everything in the dishwasher 100% better. I don't even care which dishwashing powder I use (I always buy the cheapest) it gets everything clean and even shines copper. This is on top of the cheap dishwasher I have. It's the one tip I give to everyone...everyone. You can use it (sprinkled around the house) to kill fleas and ticks also.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,542,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Borax. Borax cleans everything in the dishwasher 100% better. I don't even care which dishwashing powder I use (I always buy the cheapest) it gets everything clean and even shines copper. This is on top of the cheap dishwasher I have. It's the one tip I give to everyone...everyone. You can use it (sprinkled around the house) to kill fleas and ticks also.
You don't hear much about that anymore, but I think it has a lot of uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House