Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Vinegar and water for glass; you might have to scrub some things or take a razor blade to it. Then dry it off with crumpled newspaper. Don't wash in the sun. I don't use ammonia because it is so nasty and can give me an asthma attack. The sudsy ammonia has detergent in it and won't be streak free.
I don't have any sudsy ammonia in the house anyway . . . but do have the vinegar (just did my floors = let scooba run - HOORAY!!! they look so nice!!!)

Sun is only partially out. Can't wait to see if I get things in better shape this time. I will let you know.

Thank you for helping me out! Have a great day! Ani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
LOL...Oh schumtz ?? well, yeah -- that is pretty much what it is...sometimes with a lil mud mixed in when he's been rooting around in the flower beds.

Re: sudsy ammonia -- and i have to say....I have never had streaking. maybe my solution is weak.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM

134 posts, read 1,221,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have already used my SnW today on the carpet today! Inevitable - spills w/ the holidays! Hope it helps you w/ your clean up . . .

Got a question: What do others do to clean storm doors/windows? My doggie sneezes on the storm door glass and it is so hard to get it off - seems to streak no matter what I do. I have used the typical Windex type stuff and then paid more for some stuff that I got at Lowe's - supposed to do a better job - but I still have streaks.

What am I doing wrong? I used paper towels. With cold weather, the glass is so cold - I am wondering if that is part of the problem?

So any suggestions how to get my storm door (and any windows that have doggie's dribble on them) really clean w/o streaking?
I find that the version of auto windshield washer fluid which removes the greasy bird poop will also work on stubborn smudges on glass doors.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Okay, here is how it went

I thought the vinegar, old T shirt, and newspapers had done the trick. Everything looked great. Then when the sun was going down, the rays came in at an angle and all the streaks were still there!!!!

SIGH.

I am going to try again tomorrow. No ammonia around . . . maybe I will run out and get some - I usually do keep it here.

I am wondering if the temperature of the glass has anything to do w/ the streaks??????

Old 12-31-2007, 08:14 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
I thought the vinegar, old T shirt, and newspapers had done the trick. Everything looked great. Then when the sun was going down, the rays came in at an angle and all the streaks were still there!!!!

SIGH.

I am going to try again tomorrow. No ammonia around . . . maybe I will run out and get some - I usually do keep it here.

I am wondering if the temperature of the glass has anything to do w/ the streaks??????
anifani, have you tried microfiber cloths by i think 3M. I just bought them at Target (over the weekend) and washed all my windows with them. I was VERY sceptical at first because well they were $6 for 2 () and I just wasn't 100% sold on them working. They worked beautifully and so far I have not seen a single streak. The package read I could use them with or without cleaner and I tried both ways and both ways did a great job. Of course the cloth itself was damp because I used the cleaner first. It was 40 degrees when I washed my windows (yesterday). good luck.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Excellent suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
anifani, have you tried microfiber cloths by i think 3M. I just bought them at Target (over the weekend) and washed all my windows with them. I was VERY sceptical at first because well they were $6 for 2 () and I just wasn't 100% sold on them working. They worked beautifully and so far I have not seen a single streak. The package read I could use them with or without cleaner and I tried both ways and both ways did a great job. Of course the cloth itself was damp because I used the cleaner first. It was 40 degrees when I washed my windows (yesterday). good luck.
Okay - that is really helpful info! Knowing you did your task in 40 d weather . . . that encourages me! Can't get out today but will run by Target and get the microfiber cloths. Some other posters have said those cloths would great. I am like you - the $6 is worth it if they really work.

The streaks are really bothering me, as I feel I am making the effort but not seeing the results of my effort.

I am learning so much here . . . thanks so much for sharing!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
Quote:
Okay - that is really helpful info! Knowing you did your task in 40 d weather . . . that encourages me! Can't get out today but will run by Target and get the microfiber cloths. Some other posters have said those cloths would great. I am like you - the $6 is worth it if they really work.

The streaks are really bothering me, as I feel I am making the effort but not seeing the results of my effort.

I am learning so much here . . . thanks so much for sharing!
Any time. Good luck. I should mention the sun has not been out since I cleaned my windows so I don't know yet if there are streaks (hopefully no).

Old 12-31-2007, 10:14 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
I came across this website a few days ago, and thought was very helpful for cleaning with basic products everyone has, salt, vinegar and baking soda:

www.pioneerthinking.com/inthekitchen-usefor.html

Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I came across this website a few days ago, and thought was very helpful for cleaning with basic products everyone has, salt, vinegar and baking soda:

www.pioneerthinking.com/inthekitchen-usefor.html
Thanks for the link...bookmarked it.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
thanks for that link... i have another one too
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/

ani -- one think i do when using the microfibers to do cleaning ... 1 is damp, maybe with just water, and wipe dry with the 2nd one.

yeah -- they are more expensive ... but i love'em. I use them for washing and drying dishes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House