Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 12:40 PM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Since when does the crime have to be murder in order for it to be considered an issue? The OP posted data that shows an increase in murder. It shouldn't have to stand out amongst the worst in the nation to be taken seriously or for residents to be concerned.
Let's talk about perspective when one of our loved ones ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I agree. The numbers are what they are but anecdotally I can tell you that the OP's perception is widespread these days. Everyone I know has been talking about how bad the crime has gotten. I personally have had two friends from high school murdered in the past six weeks. Last year a police officer was murdered down the street from my house. I don't live in a bad area at all and have never seen much crime like that nearby. And the revolving door policy at the DA's office isn't making any of this better for sure.

The numbers may have gone up everywhere, but we live in Houston and it sure as hell seems that things have gone downhill here recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 12:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Here are the numbers of Human Trafficking. Jesus Christ guys, how did we end up here?

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/...s%20Report.pdf

If there is something we should be really concerned about on a city level relative to other cities, its this not murder.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:19 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
True. Its a big border and I am not sure if completing the wall would make a huge impact or not, but I would be very curious to see what would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here are the numbers of Human Trafficking. Jesus Christ guys, how did we end up here?

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/...s%20Report.pdf

If there is something we should be really concerned about on a city level relative to other cities, its this not murder.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,489 times
We noticed this immediately when moving from Los Angeles. It always dominates the top five stories on the news here. Maybe LA just doesn't cover the murders as much? It makes Houston seem like a very violent city.

On the flip side, the amount of car chase coverage in Houston is nearly nonexistant compared to SoCal. Are people here just not as interested? LA will break into whatever is on TV to cover a chase. Why does Houston turn its nose up at this form of entertainment?

Old 05-18-2021, 01:51 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
We noticed this immediately when moving from Los Angeles. It always dominates the top five stories on the news here. Maybe LA just doesn't cover the murders as much? It makes Houston seem like a very violent city.

On the flip side, the amount of car chase coverage in Houston is nearly nonexistant compared to SoCal. Are people here just not as interested? LA will break into whatever is on TV to cover a chase. Why does Houston turn its nose up at this form of entertainment?
Yeah just got back from LA and yeah I didn't see murders covered as much as I do here in Houston. Houston just like most major cities in America is seeing an uptick in certain violent crimes.

As far as human trafficking goes unfortunately it's not discussed more because it's largely associated with immigrants. It won't become a huge problem for America till it starts impacting more affluent *lighter* communities. Also Houston is and has always been a hub for human trafficking just like it has for drug trafficking. There's a plethora of reasons as to why there's been an uptick in human traffic that really starts in their homelands and ends up in Houston.

Still has Houston done enough to crackdown on sexual exploitations in the city? I remember some years ago they cracked down on the massage parlors and backpage yet it stop human trafficking. Criminals just found other ways to get around that. And hey I still see those dark tinted massage parlors in seedy shopping areas.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Yeah just got back from LA and yeah I didn't see murders covered as much as I do here in Houston. Houston just like most major cities in America is seeing an uptick in certain violent crimes.

As far as human trafficking goes unfortunately it's not discussed more because it's largely associated with immigrants. It won't become a huge problem for America till it starts impacting more affluent *lighter* communities. Also Houston is and has always been a hub for human trafficking just like it has for drug trafficking. There's a plethora of reasons as to why there's been an uptick in human traffic that really starts in their homelands and ends up in Houston.

Still has Houston done enough to crackdown on sexual exploitations in the city? I remember some years ago they cracked down on the massage parlors and backpage yet it stop human trafficking. Criminals just found other ways to get around that. And hey I still see those dark tinted massage parlors in seedy shopping areas.
The massage parlors are impossible to miss. I see them all over. They are most heavily concentrated on the Southwest side but no matter the area, theyre still there. Same with the prostitutes' on Bissonett though I dont think those girls are trafficked.

Ive got no beef with prostitution and if a person decides that they want to hustle that way, more power to them. Being forced into it is a huge problem though.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:01 PM

727 posts, read 304,530 times
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in a bad area of Houston while visiting family. I didn't do my research. The place reeked like pot, prostitutes in the lobby openly propositioning people, early Sunday morning I woke up at 4 am to someone trying to open my door, it wasn't the cleaning lady, it was a drunk individual who was very close to getting shot.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:08 PM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn in a bad area of Houston while visiting family. I didn't do my research. The place reeked like pot, prostitutes in the lobby openly propositioning people, early Sunday morning I woke up at 4 am to someone trying to open my door, it wasn't the cleaning lady, it was a drunk individual who was very close to getting shot.
Probably not unusual depending on the part of town you're in - what area was this?

Old 05-18-2021, 02:12 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,790,319 times
I don't really care how crime in Houston compares with other cities, I care about how much worse it is than the Houston of 5-10 years ago. And it is worse. Heck, I found out last week that a murderer was harboring a tiger right around the corner from my house!

If Houston doesn't get serious about crime, we're going to continue to trail Dallas and Austin in attracting transplants/relocations, and we're going to continue to lose taxpayers to the suburbs and enclave cities, which have a much more visible police presence and lower crime rates than Houston.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I don't really care how crime in Houston compares with other cities, I care about how much worse it is than the Houston of 5-10 years ago. And it is worse. Heck, I found out last week that a murderer was harboring a tiger right around the corner from my house!

If Houston doesn't get serious about crime, we're going to continue to trail Dallas and Austin in attracting transplants/relocations, and we're going to continue to lose taxpayers to the suburbs and enclave cities, which have a much more visible police presence and lower crime rates than Houston.
Ironic since Dallas and Houston have similar crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston