Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 09:12 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,957,096 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is a graduate level program. They work closely with many police departments around the country and give the students great experience in doing so. Here's the write up from their website:

Marshall University Forensic Science Graduate Program

It's nice to have such a quality program here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
CTMountaineer is always crying about Marshall duplicating fields that wvu already offers. Anyone else find it amusing that he never complains about wvu pathetically trying to start a forensic science department when Marshall offers the best department in the country?

Moderator cut: keeping things civil
I have no doubt that the Marshall Forensic Science program is a good program, especially in the area of forensic laboratory sciences. The program at WVU has a very different emphasis, and specializes in identification, investigation, and forensic accounting in conjunction with the FBI. The two programs are in many ways like apples and oranges. You really can't do a valid comparison of them, especially not on the basis of a test taken by 9 institutions out of the more than 100 that offer graduate level forensic science programs when WVU was one of the majority of programs that did not participate. That said, Penn State was one of the 9 programs that participated, and having a higher overall score than their program is impressive. Congrats to the Marshall Forensic Science program for that achievement.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:42 AM

There were 16 different programs that took this test, not 9. There are only 36 accredited programs and of those, only 20 offer the forensics degree at the graduate level. No need to try and diminish what Marshall has accomplished when it looks like the majority of the graduate level accredited programs actually participate.

Accredited Universities | fepac-edu.org

Quote:
Of the top 26 highest test scores ranked, six were students from the Marshall Forensic Science Graduate Program. Marshall's students captured the number one and number two rankings for highest overall test results among 202 students from 16 other forensic science programs that participated in the test. - See more at: University Communications

Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
There were 16 different programs that took this test, not 9. There are only 36 accredited programs and of those, only 20 offer the forensics degree at the graduate level. No need to try and diminish what Marshall has accomplished when it looks like the majority of the graduate level accredited programs actually participate.

Accredited Universities | fepac-edu.org
Not to be argumentive, but there are 137 colleges in the country that offer graduate level forensic sciences programs. I believe you are talking about the group that belongs to this particular organization, and you are correct in that regard. From what I can tell, it is a fairly new organization and most of the schools have not yet signed on. I think it is important to point out that there are different "types" of accreditation involved. The programs at Michigan State or Louisville are part of schools that are obviously fully accredited by regional accrediting associations although their specific forensic science programs have not to this point participated in the program specific accreditation process.

137 Forensic Science Graduate Programs & Graduate Schools Page No: 1 - GradSchools.com

The test this group took was provided by a different accrediting agency than the one you mentioned... a sort of umbrella agency, so the situation can be confusing. It is not related to the FEPAC process. I might well be wrong about this, but it is my impression that the test is for individual certification, not for school certification, although there is obviously nothing that would stop all students from a particular program taking it.

http://www.criminalistics.com/

As far as the number of participating institutions, I relied on the posting on the Marshall Forensic Science Center itself which appears to be dated. One can not get Herald Dispatch releases any longer without paying for them, and I won't be doing that. I believed the school's posting would be accurate and hadn't known about the news release.

http://forensics.marshall.edu/MUFSC/...s-09.07-1.html

I have no intention to diminish the significant accomplishment of Marshall's forensic science students on this test. In fact, I wouldn't have even commented on it had not murox done his usual post attempting to make the thread about me or WVU. I again offer my personal congratulations to those Marshall students who scored well on the test, and encourage murox to join with me in attempting to keep the threads on topic, civil, and unpersonal.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-20-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 08:09 AM

FEPAC has been around for 10 years and appears to be the gold standard of Forensics Accreditation. There may be 137 programs but as I pointed out, only 36 are accredited. Take that as you will. The link you referenced for participation in the test was from 2009. The quote I gave was from the link in my first post. That is the Marshall press release from this year. Here's more about FEPAC.

http://www.ohio.edu/chemistry/forens...FEPAC_FAQS.pdf

For more about the test:

http://www.unitedstatesbd.com/images...s/fsat2013.pdf

Quote:
Academic programs can also use the results as a measure of program assessment.
In other words, how well students do on the test measures the quality of the program, and Marshall is consistently #1. I think that says something.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 PM

530 posts, read 590,006 times
Default Marshall Drug Development Parternship and ChemoID

As announced a couple of weeks ago, the Marshall Institute of Interdisciplinary Research and the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine entered into a collaborative drug development partnership with HD Biosciences Co. of Shanghai. Their effort will be to develop anti-cancer drugs. This should be a very beneficial and potentially prosperous relationship for all parties involved.

This exciting announcement came as ChemoID (a potentially revolutionary assay that identifies the most effective chemotherapeutic agent to treat an individual's cancer) really appears to be gaining traction in publicity and marketing.

Together, these are two very exciting things for Marshall and the city of Huntington. There could be tons of potential to be harnessed through these developments. I am hopeful that HD Biosciences will invest in the area to build a high-quality research and development center/laboratory. Also, when ChemoID gains more traction and the assays need to be produced and shipped across the country and world in mass quantities, it would be great for that to happen in Huntington, which would require substantial infrastructure. I am wondering if a large research center will be constructed between Cabell-Huntington Hospital and the Byrd Clinical Center (in the area with all the houses boarded up)?

Below are some links related to these stories. Eyewitness News did a great story on ChemoID.

MIIR and medical school to partner in drug development venture | Marshall University Research Corporation

ChemoID - Huntington, West Virginia news from Eyewitness News

Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,152,323 times
Both schools work with the WV State police as well. The State is divided in half with each school/facility taking cases from each region. Also I believe the Huntington program also assists the FBI and other Federal agencies and also agencies from other States when needed.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Marshall Dedicates New Arts Center

Marshall held their dedication for the new Visual Arts Center, located in downtown Huntington, which resulted from a $13.7 million renovation of the former Stone and Thomas department store. Having this center in the downtown area will bring 300 students there on a regular basis, and is expected to help pump new life into the area.

MU dedicates Visual Arts Center | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 PM

My family and I went to the open house. This is a great facility and will be an asset to both Marshall and Huntington. Here's a gallery from the opening:

Gallery: MU Visual Arts Center gala- A Strolling Celebration | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 09-24-2014, 04:48 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,074,480 times
I haven't been inside the place yet, the exterior of the building (signage and lighting) look really nice from the street.

Huntington desperately needs a new downtown hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington