Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM

3,010 posts, read 3,613,216 times

Advertisements

1. Chuck Wagon
2. New Market BBQ
3. Granvilles, corner Meridian/Oakwood
4. Ole Hickory, Maysville Rd New Market
5. Big Bob Gibson Decatur
6. Smokeys
7. Shanes Rib Shack, new on the scene, Whitesburg Village, opens July 23 possibly
8. Greenbrier
9. Moes BBQ, Village of Providence
10. Scruggs BBQ, Moores Mill Rd, when they are open
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,043,965 times
I've not eaten there, but I understand Chuck Wagon is the kind of BBQ that I like. Brisket like I can get in Houston at Good Company. Oooh, brisket.

I usually get my stuff from Ol' Dad's in Hazel Green. There used to be a place there called Trojan Hut and the guy's sauce was great, a strange cloudy liquid that was a balance between vinegar and who knows what else. Very tangy. Trojan Hut is no more, as the guy really didn't seem to know business, but it's the most successful place I've seen in that strange location (the hut maybe 1/4 south of the cotton gin.)

Is Mr. Barbeque near the D-home still open? I used to get bbq potatoes there.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,288,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I've not eaten there, but I understand Chuck Wagon is the kind of BBQ that I like. Brisket like I can get in Houston at Good Company. Oooh, brisket.

I usually get my stuff from Ol' Dad's in Hazel Green. There used to be a place there called Trojan Hut and the guy's sauce was great, a strange cloudy liquid that was a balance between vinegar and who knows what else. Very tangy. Trojan Hut is no more, as the guy really didn't seem to know business, but it's the most successful place I've seen in that strange location (the hut maybe 1/4 south of the cotton gin.)

Is Mr. Barbeque near the D-home still open? I used to get bbq potatoes there.
Ole Dads is good, I ate there for the first time in 10yrs earlier in the month and it was really good.

I know exactly what you mean about the strange location, that Aryia BBQ or whatever it's called has been there a long time now.

I've never heard of Mr. Barbecue, how long ago did you go there?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM

32 posts, read 64,082 times
Yeah, I moved here on the same day when Chuck Wagon first opened up and they didn't have a cc machine and I didn't have any cash on me, The owner was like this one is on me..... I was like this guy is going to do well, willing to give a little to get more business... I like I like... It was good.

Does anyone know where I can get a fully cooked Boston butt. I think I can get one from Rocket City Meats... atleast thats where they came from the last time I bought one here, but it was for a charity and not sure if someone else cooked them or Rocket City Meats did, I'll have to give them a call.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:31 AM

230 posts, read 389,526 times
2 pages and nobody's mentioned mary's Pit BBQ in Maysville yet? If you like smoked meats, it's worth the trek out there...but not when it's 100+° out LOL. There are picnic tables to eat outside in the shade of tall trees alongside a quiet little creek, but even that would be a killer on a weekend like this one coming up. Oh, and it's cash-only, too, I believe.

Arrive early if you want chicken, they often run out.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 PM

I have heard of Mary's and then I realized it wasn't on Maysville rd, but IN MAYSVILLE.

If I ever have a reason to head out there I will stop in.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 21,368 times
As Memphis natives, my husband and I are kind of picky about our pork BBQ. My husband spent some time in Texas, so we do the brisket thing too. Comparing pork BBQ to beef BBQ is an apples/oranges thing...I mean really, does anyone compare pork BBQ to chicken BBQ? Nope. So the first step is to define the meat you're after.

After that, "good" will likely depend on where you're from since BBQ varies widely from region to region across the South (the video at this link explains: The BBQ Song | Rhett & Link).

For beef brisket, Chuck Wagon is good, but it's the only beef brisket we've tried. We've only been here for 2 months, but we've already been there 3 times...

For pork, New Orleans Lunch Box (in the BP station on Jordan Lane between I-565 and Hwy 72) is the best we've found. Great smokey flavor and no fat. My husband has been there 4 times already. The drawbacks are that it's pretty salty and the meat is pulled/chopped pretty fine (won't stay on the sandwich). Thomas's Pit BBQ in Madison was pretty bad...the meat tasted like it was cooked in an oven. The same was true for Lawler's, though their mayonnaise sauce kind of made up for the lack of flavor (if you happen to like the mayo sauce).

For chicken, Greenbrier is the only place we've tried. The chicken had good flavor, but was really dry.

We'll be trying some of the suggestions from this list, but for now Chuck Wagon has good brisket and NOLB has decent pork.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM

74 posts, read 148,251 times
Golden rule on Madison blvd next to Wendy's

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV2LAS View Post
Golden rule on Madison blvd next to Wendy's
You must be kidding?

The quality of their food got so bad they almost went under!

They recently advertised New Owner, New Staff, New Menu!

Not a good sign, but I am willing to give them a shot.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,043,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I've never heard of Mr. Barbecue, how long ago did you go there?
A lot in the 1990s, maybe early 2000s.

Google map it here: 34.743064,-86.597041 and from the look of the streetview, it's still open.

The easiest way to say where it is: Last building on the right, coming from the parkway, on Cook Ave, the road next to Krispy Kreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area