Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 08:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 3,639,639 times

Advertisements

More details on Space Command coming to Huntsville and Redstone Arsenal . It’s a big deal, big numbers and a cool looking preliminary building. They have been working on this for two years while Colorado has been blaming everyone else.

https://www.waaytv.com/news/air-forc...985a38055.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 08:40 AM

13,208 posts, read 9,770,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
More details on Space Command coming to Huntsville and Redstone Arsenal . It’s a big deal, big numbers and a cool looking preliminary building. They have been working on this for two years while Colorado has been blaming everyone else.

https://www.waaytv.com/news/air-forc...985a38055.html
That's a very nice, convenient location, especially coming through Gate 9 and around the Toftoy. Gotta say though - I hope they get another architect for the HQ building - that modernistic monstrostry is u.g.l.y.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:43 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,820,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Well you all Huntsville-ers can have it. I'm glad I lived here before the big boom goes bang.
Have you already left the area? I’ve been visiting here for 62 years now and it was a great place to raise my children, but I’m about done with all the traffic and McMansions myself. The hills of Kentucky look better all the time.

Old 07-14-2022, 08:08 PM

Alabama A&M new welcome center, very nice.

https://fb.watch/egxlmn_yru/

Old 07-15-2022, 08:20 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,077,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Have you already left the area? I’ve been visiting here for 62 years now and it was a great place to raise my children, but I’m about done with all the traffic and McMansions myself. The hills of Kentucky look better all the time.
No, I haven't left. That timeline is unclear. I agree, and I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I've seen beautiful, livable areas ruined by "progress." I wish Huntsville could stay the way it's always been, but that's not realistic. If I visit in a few years after leaving I know I will be sad at what I see, just like when I visit South Gilbert, Arizona or Southern California.

For example, next to the Walmart I shop at in south Huntsville, there's a hillside next to the Wendy's. Theyve graded it and they're gonna slap up a bunch of apartments or condos, make a mint. It's necessary because the housing is needed. There are few places to put such near the Arsenal.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:08 AM

3,470 posts, read 4,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
No, I haven't left. That timeline is unclear. I agree, and I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I've seen beautiful, livable areas ruined by "progress." I wish Huntsville could stay the way it's always been, but that's not realistic. If I visit in a few years after leaving I know I will be sad at what I see, just like when I visit South Gilbert, Arizona or Southern California.

For example, next to the Walmart I shop at in south Huntsville, there's a hillside next to the Wendy's. Theyve graded it and they're gonna slap up a bunch of apartments or condos, make a mint. It's necessary because the housing is needed. There are few places to put such near the Arsenal.
At least they still haven't built any skyscrapers or tall buildings and blocked the view of Monte Sano mountain with ugly weird shaped concrete and glass buildings. lol

Change is inevitable though. It does bring some nice amenities along with it. We have a pretty nice amphitheater and shopping/dining/entertainment areas now along with downtown finally coming together. It isn't all bad when an area grows and develops.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:25 PM

13,208 posts, read 9,770,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
At least they still haven't built any skyscrapers or tall buildings and blocked the view of Monte Sano mountain with ugly weird shaped concrete and glass buildings. lol

Change is inevitable though. It does bring some nice amenities along with it. We have a pretty nice amphitheater and shopping/dining/entertainment areas now along with downtown finally coming together. It isn't all bad when an area grows and develops.
It would take a heckuva skyscraper to block the view of Monte Sano. We're not likely to see a building over 20 or 25 stories in the next hundred years, and even those would be hotels or condos/apartments. Unless the Retirement Systems of Alabama decides to build something like they did in Mobile.

I think Huntsville will always have a small downtown for a city with a fairly large population. If all the people that work on the Arsenal and in Research Park worked downtown, as in many cities, it would look much different. Looks like it's developing into an entertainment center and a fair number of residents instead of a workplace center. Of course, if the Arsenal wasn't there, there would be no Research Park and we'd still be a small village of 15K or so.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:44 AM

A good re purpose of this building.,

The former National Guard Armory off Memorial Parkway is being transformed into a community center.

The Huntsville City Council approved a nearly $6.4 million construction agreement with Lee Builders to renovate the Raymond W. Jones Community Center at John Hunt Park at its meeting Thursday. Lee Builders is also the contractor for the $27.7 million renovation of nearby Joe Davis Stadium.

Old 07-16-2022, 12:13 PM

23,691 posts, read 70,860,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
A good re purpose of this building.,

The former National Guard Armory off Memorial Parkway is being transformed into a community center.

The Huntsville City Council approved a nearly $6.4 million construction agreement with Lee Builders to renovate the Raymond W. Jones Community Center at John Hunt Park at its meeting Thursday. Lee Builders is also the contractor for the $27.7 million renovation of nearby Joe Davis Stadium.
Is that the existing building that was used to give Covid shots? If so, a renovation of it is a double edged sword. There are some not-for-profit organizations, such as the woodcarvers, who use the building for their annual shows or large get-togethers. The area has few affordable meeting places, and loss of that one would be a big blow. Change is part of a growing economy, but the flavor of Huntsville will be lost when the small and diverse aspects of life are lost.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Is that the existing building that was used to give Covid shots? If so, a renovation of it is a double edged sword. There are some not-for-profit organizations, such as the woodcarvers, who use the building for their annual shows or large get-togethers. The area has few affordable meeting places, and loss of that one would be a big blow. Change is part of a growing economy, but the flavor of Huntsville will be lost when the small and diverse aspects of life are lost.
Not sure if has been used for anything it’s the old Armory that fronts the Parkway,

https://www.waff.com/2022/07/15/hunt...munity-center/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area