Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 06:16 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Absolutely it is. I do not understand why HH is doing things this way.

Different parts of the state are off doing their own things, and it makes for a lot of frustration.

And meanwhile, about 1/3 of adults are not planning to be vaccinated.
I'm not exactly waiting on the vaccine with bated breath, given some of the side effects, but feeling bad for a day or two is a heckuva lot better than contracting Covid and possible croaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 07:12 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Inquiries have gone out to people if they would be willing to get the vaccination on post at Fox Army Clinic/Hospital. Many of those I work with said yes; suspecting that the there is going to come a point in time where they (government) is going to say you cannot report onsite unless you have been vaccinated and can show proof of vaccination.

My guess (because I'm an ass) is 30% of the government workers chose to get vaccinated with the 70% declining and hoping to stay at home and 90% of the contractors chose to get vaccinated so they can get the real work done.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:36 PM

641 posts, read 699,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I watched the Covid weekly news conference today (today's officials, in addition to the EMA director, were Dale Strong and the VP of Huntsville Hospital), and they didn't mention going back to just 75+. But what they did say was that this week, they were able to get "extra" vaccine and were able to handle many more vaccinations, but that next week and following would be back to the normal (I think 1000 shots/day). So no change in qualification criteria, but a change in availability of vaccine. that's my understanding, at least.

https://whnt.com/news/coronavirus/hu...nt-wait-times/

"After this week Huntsville Hospital systems will go back to a first come first serve basis out of the 75 and up category."

Not what I expected, but the statement seems pretty clear.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:

"After this week Huntsville Hospital systems will go back to a first come first serve basis out of the 75 and up category."

Not what I expected, but the statement seems pretty clear.
Yes, I saw that in the article. But the presenters at Wednesday's news conference didn't say that. Could be that 19 is wrong, or it's possible the VP of Huntsville Hospital (I think that's his position) failed to mention it, which I think is less likely.

We'll see. I'm in the 65-74 group and haven't been called yet.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM

641 posts, read 699,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, I saw that in the article. But the presenters at Wednesday's news conference didn't say that. Could be that 19 is wrong, or it's possible the VP of Huntsville Hospital (I think that's his position) failed to mention it, which I think is less likely.

Those are good points - BUT. If there is a factual error in the Channel 19 story, I would expect that the VP of the hospital would take the opportunity to correct the error. WHNT is one of this area's 4 major news outlets, so it's not like some error in DiverDave's Tennessee Valley blog or maybe some podunk news outlet that actually exists.

I did watch the video embedded in the link, and the website story is a word for word transcription of the story that aired. With one error that the last quote in the article attributed to Tracy Doughty is actually from Dr. Karen Landers.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:36 PM

I don't know enough to argue either point, but for what it's worth, Huntsville Hospital is still taking 65-74 applications on their website. I read or heard somewhere - might've been on the Covid news conference - that there are over 40,000 people in the 65-74 age group in Madison County. So at 1,000 per day, it'll be mid-March at the earliest should everyone sign up. Plus, they're vaccinating teachers, essential workers, and others, so that extends things even farther. If they've reverted to the 75+, then there's no telling.

I just looked on the ADHP site and noticed there are drive-thru locations and walk-in clinics around the state. Clicking on the link, the map looks a little odd to me, given that we're the second largest metro in the state, and the third largest county. I'm wondering if north Alabama getting the short straw (once again) is what seemed to be irritating Dale Strong. Here's the map: https://alpublichealth.maps.arcgis.c...a7cf439ed047ec

Old 02-12-2021, 05:34 AM

609 posts, read 530,061 times
Quote:
I don't understand the logic here, but after this week Huntsville Hospital is going back to vaccinating only 75 and older:

Fortunately I was able to make an appointment this weekend at Walmart while those were briefly available yesterday. Walmart was only showing appointments for the next week, and they went quickly.
I interpret the statement in that article another way. The exact quote is-

“After this week Huntsville Hospital systems will go back to a first come first serve basis out of the 75 and up category.“

Notice the word “only” does not appear in that statement. My interpretation is that in the 75 and up category they were using something other than “first come first serve” and now they are going back to that for that category. It does not necessarily mean they are stopping vaccination efforts in the new category. If that’s the case then obviously it was a poorly worded statement and of course I could be wrong.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
I interpret the statement in that article another way. The exact quote is-

“After this week Huntsville Hospital systems will go back to a first come first serve basis out of the 75 and up category.“

Notice the word “only” does not appear in that statement. My interpretation is that in the 75 and up category they were using something other than “first come first serve” and now they are going back to that for that category. It does not necessarily mean they are stopping vaccination efforts in the new category. If that’s the case then obviously it was a poorly worded statement and of course I could be wrong.
That interpretation would be a bit of a reach, but I suppose it's possible. Definitely poorly worded if that's the case.

Still haven't been called after signing up on Jan 30, but it's only been 5 working days (but from what I understand, the staff is also calling on weekends). I looked into signing up on the state site, but they say they have no more appointment availability.

The Prez says he's ordered something like 200M more doses, but that doesn't necessarily mean the order will be filled. It's hard to vaccinate the world with 7.8B people, and the US isn't the only country trying to vaccinate.

If the weather forecast for the upcoming week holds, I suspect there will be vaccination delays. Not sure if that gives them an opportunity to sorta catch up on vaccine availability, or just pushes things farther out.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:50 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
GF is under the 75 YO cutoff and was called and scheduled for her jabs from HH. I guess that settles any confusion (or adds to it)

Old 02-13-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
GF is under the 75 YO cutoff and was called and scheduled for her jabs from HH. I guess that settles any confusion (or adds to it)
I believe HH got additional vaccine shipments for the upcoming week. Apparently they aren't given much lead time for knowing when supplies will be arriving. That said, I still haven't gotten a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area