Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 03:16 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
It's already handled for you. Looks like tomorrow's appointments will move to Wednesday.

https://whnt.com/news/athens-limesto...ling-patients/
The WHNT article mentions a vaccination clinic at Crestwood Hospital? How does one sign up there? That's the first I've heard that they were giving vaccinations. Yes, I've gone to their site and there's no mention of how to register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 08:38 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
It's already handled for you. Looks like tomorrow's appointments will move to Wednesday.

https://whnt.com/news/athens-limesto...ling-patients/
Those are the same words the Huntsville Hospital website used when they were talking about Mondays appointments. Their website has not said anything about any other changes. I would not take what a hastily put together cut and paste new article said. Since Huntsville Hospital has not officially made any announcements about scheduling changes for Tuesday I am going to assume my appointment for 10am Tuesday is still on.

I believe that Huntsville Hospital intended that there would be no appointments today Monday. I suspect after they posted the information on their website they realized that some people would show up anyways. They probably hastily and unofficially put together enough staff to handle the mobs of people that they suspected might show up despite they official closure of the Hunt Park clinic on Monday. The reason there was chaos there Monday was probably because they were not fully staffed.

I suspect that some people that were scheduled for Monday will show up tomorrow instead of Wednesday like they are supposed to do. That means that tomorrow might be just as chaotic as today. I am going over there early tomorrow just in case that is so.

I don't blame Huntsville Hospital's plans to not have the COVID-19 clinic today based on the worst case weather forecast. However, the road conditions were not as bad as expected so in hindsight they could have had the clinic anyways. I do blame the chaos on the mobs of people who showed up when they were clearly told not to by what was on the Huntsville Hospital website and local newscasts.

What was clearly broken was vaccination scheduling that had no contingency plans in case everything did not go as planned. A professional scheduling system could have handled this. This system could have also maintained a queue that would show anyone that signed up where they were in it. I suspect the scheduling system they are using was hastily thrown together and not well thought out.

There are also other factors at play:
  • Contradictory and confusing COVID-19 priorities
  • Selfish people that think that they have more of a right to receive a vaccine than others
I suspect that many of the people that showed up on Monday met the second factor. That means that anyone that shows up on Tuesday that doesn't have an appointment for Tuesday are just as bad.

I know someone that showed up at the Madison County Health Department without an appointment. They still got their Covid-19 vaccination even though they should not have. The problem is that if too many people start thinking that way it will total chaos at the vaccination sites every day. What good is scheduling when people just ignore it.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 AM

Update at 5:00am on Tuesday Morning:
On the news this morning they explained what happened at the John Hunt park clinic yesterday...
The John Hunt park clinic was officially closed on Monday. However, some health care workers decided to open it anyways. They claimed they did not have enough time to contact anyone with an appointment to come in so they contacted the city of Huntsville to invite city and school employees to come instead. They vaccinated about 400 people yesterday. None of these people had appointments. Also, nobody that showed up even had to prove they worked for the city or schools. That explained the chaos yesterday.

One final note. They claimed that giving 400 vaccinations to people that did not have an appointment would not affect anyone that was scheduled to get an appointment. I am not sure I buy that but there is no way to prove otherwise.

The Huntsville Hospital COVID-19 vaccination web site is back to normal with no mention of any schedule changes. Apparently that means that starting Tuesday they should be back to giving vaccinations to people with appointments only. With temperatures well below freezing we will see if that deters anyone.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:36 AM

I went to my 10am appointment this morning (Tuesday) at the John Hunt park clinic. I received my 1st of 2 COVID-19 vaccinations. I was in and out in about 25 minutes. They had the capacity for 17 vaccination stations but only about 4 or 5 were manned. That was plenty to handle the number of people that showed up. The parking lot was at most 1/4 full.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:14 AM

Finally got "the call" - first shot on Tuesday Feb 23. Second March 16 at John Hunt Park.

MisterEd - did your arm get sore or any other side effects?

Old 02-17-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Finally got "the call" - first shot on Tuesday Feb 23. Second March 16 at John Hunt Park.

MisterEd - did your arm get sore or any other side effects?
Did not feel anything when I got the shot. No side effects afterwards at all.

I was asked which arm I used. I said right so I got the shot in my left arm. They wanted to give the shot high in my left arm. I was wearing sweats so even though I could roll my sleeve up I saw that would make it difficult. Removing my sweat top made giving the shot a lot easier. I know I should have worn a short sleeve shirt but it was pretty cold Tuesday morning.

They will give you a card that shows you got the 1st shot. It will be marked again when you get the 2nd one. I am going to keep the card because some time in the future I might have to prove that I was vaccinated.

Looking at the paper they gave me:

Common side effects:

On the arm where you got the shot
  • Pain
  • Swelling
Throughout the rest of your body
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Tiredness
  • Headache
BTW, I expected it to be like the Pneumonia shot I got last November. After I got that shot my left arm hurt for several days.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Did not feel anything when I got the shot. No side effects afterwards at all.

I was asked which arm I used. I said right so I got the shot in my left arm. They wanted to give the shot high in my left arm. I was wearing sweats so even though I could roll my sleeve up I saw that would make it difficult. Removing my sweat top made giving the shot a lot easier. I know I should have worn a short sleeve shirt but it was pretty cold Tuesday morning.

They will give you a card that shows you got the 1st shot. It will be marked again when you get the 2nd one. I am going to keep the card because some time in the future I might have to prove that I was vaccinated.

Looking at the paper they gave me:

Common side effects:

On the arm where you got the shot
  • Pain
  • Swelling
Throughout the rest of your body
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Tiredness
  • Headache
BTW, I expected it to be like the Pneumonia shot I got last November. After I got that shot my left arm hurt for several days.
I got both the flu and pneumonia shot last fall, and one of them made my arm more sore than the flu shot normally does, but it was nothing major. I played golf with it with no problem (other than lack of skill).

Old 02-17-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I got both the flu and pneumonia shot last fall, and one of them made my arm more sore than the flu shot normally does, but it was nothing major. I played golf with it with no problem (other than lack of skill).
Actually I got both shots too last fall. I blamed the mild soreness on the pneumonia shot because I never had a problem getting a flu shot.

When you mi**** a shot didn't you grab your arm and blame it in on getting the shot?

To me the COVID-19 vaccination was a "nothingburger" but "Your mileage may vary".

Old 02-20-2021, 01:01 AM

Huntsville Hospital stops new COVID-19 vaccine appointments
https://www.al.com/news/2021/02/hunt...-vaccines.html

Old 02-20-2021, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 28,249 times
I made a Sams club appointment for this Monday, just got a call that said they don't have the supply, but will keep my information and spot in line and will call me to tell me when I am rescheduled.
On the other side of the coin, my friend had an appointment for Tuesday at Walmart and they got notified yesterday that Walmart didn't have supply either, but this pharmacist or rep, said they would have to try again on there own to make a new appointment.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area