Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" represent the beliefs, feelings, and values o
Yes, and I support it. 5 10.42%
Yes, but I do not support it. 2 4.17%
No, but I support it. 1 2.08%
No, and I do not support it. 35 72.92%
I do not know 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times

Advertisements

Pence panders to the farmers and rural voters. People in cities of any size don't care. I bet money he's wishing he'd never signed that stupid law. San Francisco employers leaving the state. Im sure Pence never realized just how much support gay people get from everybody. He cuts off his nose to spite his face. I bet most everything he's ever heard about gay people has been bad. He bases his opinion of gay people on what he has heard and stereotypes. I bet he never took the time to actually know a gay person. He probably thought it would be safe to pander to the farmers and rural voters and religionists and protect them from the gays. Now he's realizing he blew his chance as a legitimate contender for the Republican nomination.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:40 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,205 times
This was a law written with no purpose but for Gov. Pence (with the help of the Republican legislature) to pander to a handful of evangelical Christians in the state, after Gay marriages started occurring here and the sky didn't fall, and fire and brimstone didn't happen.

Its all part of Pence and his advisors delusional "thinking" he could get elected president which even Conservatives will tell you he couldn't get elected "dog catcher" nationally. Republicans are far more concerned with electing someone who can cut government spending and deal with creating a economy that encourages job creation, than nominating someone like Pence who would try to force his own narrow minded views on this nation.

This law creates more problems than it solves, will cause litigation to go forward that may eventually reach the supreme court and I suspect evangelicals will not like the way this ends for them. Religion,in this country and this state, is shrinking daily, look at all the empty churches for sale in every small town because the congregation has died off or moved away.

Every time this state moves forward, someone like Pence and a handful of evangelical fundamentalists find a way to make this city look backward and living in the 1950's. It totally ignores real world reality. Ultimately, this will be resolved in the courts after the state spends millions in legal fees dealing with all the unintended consequences of legislation that lacks real purpose or common sense, and all the nut-jobs who will use this law to forward whatever personal agenda they have by claiming a religious reason.

Mitch Daniels wasn't a perfect Governor, but I really miss someone with "common sense" in the job of Governor of this state.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
...Republicans are far more concerned with electing someone who can cut government spending and deal with creating a economy that encourages job creation, than nominating someone like Pence who would try to force his own narrow minded views on this nation...
There's very little I can about Illinois that's positive, but this is why I voted for Governor Rauner. He's only concerned with trying to salvage the fiscal disaster that is Illinois. He's not trying to overturn gay marriage in Illinois, and he's even continuing to move forward with implementing the medical marijuana initiative that was approved last year.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Well, the latest comment by Republican Senator, Silvia Allen of Arizona discussed in Senate chambers the possibility of introducing legislation requiring every American to attend church on Sunday morning. THAT is the mindset behind "religious freedom" acts.

The fact that the Senator is now recanting doesn't remove the underlying sentiment that our nation is being divided by religious fundamentalists intent on creating a theocracy.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
The short term fiscal effects may not be that harmful. There could be a "Chick-fila" effect in which out of state sympathizers go out of their way to visit Indiana and purchase products.

That won't last forever, while company pullouts and boycotts might.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The short term fiscal effects may not be that harmful. There could be a "Chick-fila" effect in which out of state sympathizers go out of their way to visit Indiana and purchase products.

That won't last forever, while company pullouts and boycotts might.
Individuals maybe. Corporations of any size would not want to be seen supporting this legislation by purposely going to Indiana.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Pence panders to the farmers and rural voters. People in cities of any size don't care. I bet money he's wishing he'd never signed that stupid law. San Francisco employers leaving the state. Im sure Pence never realized just how much support gay people get from everybody. He cuts off his nose to spite his face. I bet most everything he's ever heard about gay people has been bad. He bases his opinion of gay people on what he has heard and stereotypes. I bet he never took the time to actually know a gay person. He probably thought it would be safe to pander to the farmers and rural voters and religionists and protect them from the gays. Now he's realizing he blew his chance as a legitimate contender for the Republican nomination.
I don't think he was pandering to the farmers or rural voters. Many of them really don't care. A lot of those rural voters just want to do their thing, and typically don't like state government interference in social issues. I think Pence rode the coat tails of Mitch Daniels. I believe he was, and will continue, to pander to the Koch Brothers of others of that ilk.

Mike Pence 'grateful' for David Koch, Americans for Prosperity - Kenneth P. Vogel - POLITICO.com

After seeing him during a press conference yesterday I like to think he is starting to realize his signature was a big mistake that will not easily go away. He looked and sounded like he was ready to cry. He can spin this anyway he wants, but I think he's realizing he lost any chance to run for President and if the Dems put up a good candidate, he can lose.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:37 PM

114 posts, read 241,274 times
Here's another company that may out of Indiana due to RFRA. They are waiting to see how this all pans out first but they are also currently seeking other alternatives to Indiana.

Angie’s List pulls expansion project, cites passage of RFRA | WISH-TV

Last edited by Shane73; 03-28-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 01:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Here's another company that may out of Indiana due to RFRA. They are waiting to see how this all pans out first but they are also currently seeking other alternatives to Indiana.

Angie’s List pulls expansion project, cites passage of RFRA | WISH-TV
It is more likely that Angie's List, a company that has struggled to stay afloat and just laid off 100 or so people, knows they need the city's help to do anything in the way expanding and keeping its business. The city council was meeting this week to decide whether or not to go along with helping them, with no guarantee of approval from the city. Angie's List needed some kind of poker chip. They had no leverage. Thanks to Pence, Angie's List now has a poker chip. They have the PR they need to make sure the city caves. Thanks to the tidal wave against Indiana, not only can Angie's List now deal from a position of power, they can extort some other municipality all under the guise of RFRA.

Funny how things workout sometimes.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:23 PM

145 posts, read 274,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Nah, that's just news sensationalism. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act prevents state government from "substantially burdening" a person's exercise of religion only if it can demonstrate that it is the least restrictive means of furthering a compelling governmental interest.

Numerous courts, among them the U.S. Supreme Court, have consistently held that the state and federal government have a compelling interest in maintaining the prohibition against marijuana, including for medical uses.

Cannabis will become legal on the federal level before it will ever be legalized on the state level here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana