Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" represent the beliefs, feelings, and values o
Yes, and I support it. 5 10.42%
Yes, but I do not support it. 2 4.17%
No, but I support it. 1 2.08%
No, and I do not support it. 35 72.92%
I do not know 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:16 AM

114 posts, read 241,311 times

Advertisements

Arizona was dealing with a similar bill last year that made it through the legislature to the governors desk. To the chagrin of many businesses that were threatening to pull out of Arizona including the right to host the Superbowl this year, the governor vetoed the bill. Not so in Indiana, the governor signed the bill yesterday. Not surprisingly many media resources are trashing Indiana and many will boycott the state in any way they can, based on grounds of discrimination. How do you think this will affect the state and its reputation?

Mike Pence Signs

Old 03-27-2015, 08:39 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
If judged by online forums, Indiana already did not have a great reputation. So, I don't think that will change.

As far as real life, SalesForce has been all over the board as far as its commitment to Indiana before RFRA. I don't mind them taking a stand, but where are they going to go? The majority of states have this already already in place in some form. If SalesForce pulls out of Indiana and locates in Louisville, or Nashville, or some other city in a state with the law; well, we know then that SalesForce was not being straight up with us. The thing is, they don't have to be. They haven't so far anyway, so why start now?

Boycotting Indiana, that works too, as long as it coincides with boycotts of every state with these laws.

I think the vitriol being spouted over RFRA, is justified. In the big picture, I think it is misplaced. One thing for sure, it has brought out the absolute worst in people. And that is too bad.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:40 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Arizona was dealing with a similar bill last year that made it through the legislature to the governors desk. To the chagrin of many businesses that were threatening to pull out of Arizona including the right to host the Superbowl this year, the governor vetoed the bill. Not so in Indiana, the governor signed the bill yesterday. Not surprisingly many media resources are trashing Indiana and many will boycott the state in any way they can, based on grounds of discrimination. How do you think this will affect the state and its reputation?

Mike Pence Signs
We are beginning a journey back east in a few weeks. My wife is from southern Indiana and we've always enjoyed driving through and reminiscing.

Now we are going the southern route and avoiding Indiana. Here's hoping fundamentalists flood into the state and create their theocracy and thereby cleanse some of the rest of the Midwest from the Westboro Church mentality.

Indiana! The Great State of Hate. Welcome to America, Taliban.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
We are beginning a journey back east in a few weeks. My wife is from southern Indiana and we've always enjoyed driving through and reminiscing.

Now we are going the southern route and avoiding Indiana. Here's hoping fundamentalists flood into the state and create their theocracy and thereby cleanse some of the rest of the Midwest from the Westboro Church mentality.

Indiana! The Great State of Hate. Welcome to America, Taliban.
This is exactly what I am talking about.

It is of no consequence to me if people want to alter their travels to avoid Indiana. But what path are you going to take? Kentucky? Not so fast.....they have RFRA too. Illinois? Nope, RFRA state.

That's the thing, vitriol that is deserved no doubt, has replaced intellect. At least right now.

How about instead of blasting one state, we come together and change all the states that have these laws?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
That's the thing, vitriol that is deserved no doubt, has replaced intellect. At least right now.
How about instead of blasting one state, we come together and change all the states that have these laws?
Good point. Even the mayor, Greg Ballard, of Indianapolis is concerned.

Ballard: 'Religious freedom' bill may hurt state's image, city's convention business

Old 03-27-2015, 10:54 AM

89 posts, read 179,340 times
I'm curious, under this law is it now legal for an ultra conservative muslim business owner to refuse services to any females not wearing a burqa, not accompanies by a husband or male relative etc?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Who ever wrote this bill is probably gay themselves. This always seems to be the case with these anti-gay folks

I cant bet you, said person is getting plowed now former senator, and honorary village people, Larry Craig

Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
I'm curious, under this law is it now legal for an ultra conservative muslim business owner to refuse services to any females not wearing a burqa, not accompanies by a husband or male relative etc?
Yes, in theory anyway, but no one ever really discusses this. It was primarily geared toward Christians not wanting to serve homosexuals or other sinners.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
I think it will have a negative effect in ways seen and unseen. The impact on tourism will be apparent. A number of large companies in Indiana expressed concern with this law. I think the "unseen" impact will be the increased Brain Drain in this state. Bright young people starting careers can and will go elsewhere that are not so politically reactionary. I've already seen it with my own kids and their friends. I think it will be a vicious cycle--companies will have difficulty recruiting and move elsewhere. Young people won't find interesting job opportunities here and go elsewhere.

This was a bad move on the part of our so called state leaders.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
I'm sure business owners would be more than eager to display a sign on their front door that reads
"I am a proud supporter of the RFRA" for all the community to see.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 03-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana