Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" represent the beliefs, feelings, and values o
Yes, and I support it. 5 10.42%
Yes, but I do not support it. 2 4.17%
No, but I support it. 1 2.08%
No, and I do not support it. 35 72.92%
I do not know 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Also:

This is not what Indiana is about. I grew up gay in Indiana and while I had plenty of struggles I had friends and family that supported and accepted me more than I expected. This law affects me personally because it paints a picture of Indiana as a backwater state where gays are not accepted and that is just not true. There are plenty of places where you can be gay and accepted in Indiana with no problem whatsoever. But this law and the media attention from it really makes it seem like the whole state is a homophobic wasteland. That's a big part of why I'm so upset about it. Sure there is plenty of bigotry but there is bigotry in every state. The lawmakers here have put a de facto label on the entire state and IMO it's not right.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I can't see how any restaurant, except maybe some hick shop in the middle of nowhere, would turn away two guys having dinner and wine, dinner and beer, etc. This is way overblown.
And should that "hick shop" be allowed to kick out those openly-gay customers on "religious grounds?"

Is that something you feel so passionate about that you agree it should be codified into the laws of this state?

As someone who actually hires people, I am embarrassed at what our legislators have done. I want to bring in the best talent possible, and this law doesn't make it easier.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Like I was saying, who goes into a restaurant and announces their orientation? How does this even come up? The only places I can think it comes up are marriages, funerals, and other personal services, not daily dining.
It's not about announcing one's sexual orientation at a restaurant. Personally the restaurant example being thrown around is the least of the issues. Other potential applications of the law have the potential to be far more dire.

One real life example, a homosexual couple took their child to a pediatrician. At a later date the pediatrician decided she could not treat the child because of the sexual orientation of the parents.

Now, suppose that was an emergency room situation. Suppose it required an ambulance.

Suppose the local police officer decided not to help someone because s/he thought they were gay? It has happened in other states with this law.

It also goes beyond discriminating against LGBT. Similar laws have been used to justify spouse abuse and child molestation.

Finally, in our nation's history religion has been used to justify discrimination based on race. Moving backwards like this--just wrong.

Pence was receiving 1000's of calls opposing this bill before he signed it--enough that people could not even get through to voicemail. He was receiving 1000's of comments in opposition on his official FaceBook page. I watched as the comments were literally coming in seconds apart before he signed this. I am certain he received 1000's of emails also. The state legislature received 10,000 plus signatures opposing the bill. Despite all of this opposition, Pence claimed in an interview with the IndyStar yesterday that he and his team did not anticipate the backlash. Pure stupidity and quite a show of arrogance in my opinion.

Swarens: Gov. Mike Pence to push for clarification of

They are now scrambling to try to save Pence's career. Personally, I think his career is over. The only good thing to come out of this law is that Pence will probably have to put his presidential plans to rest and will likely lose should he run for governor again. Thank you religious right for cooking your own goose.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I am really enjoying the backlash and watching them squirm.

Last edited by Annie53; 03-29-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times
If you don't like his signing the bill, simply vote him out in the next election. But their are other key people in political office who need to go too.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Did anyone see Pence squirming and completely avoiding George Stephanopoulos' questions about the bill this morning, on This Week? Pence damage control is only going to make it worse. Anyone who watched Pence ads during IN Gov race knows exactly what the intention of this bill was. It is refreshing to see the push-back against it.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:59 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
It's interesting that no one, that I've seen, has pointed out that this bill could be used to discriminate against a lot more people than the GLBT community. For over a century, slavery and segregation was justified based on bible passages that black people were an inferior race. People may be deeply offended by other religious beliefs, and there's a pretty good chance that an Asian customer isn't Christian. So, do they get turned away when they want a table in your restaurant?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:00 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
And should that "hick shop" be allowed to kick out those openly-gay customers on "religious grounds?"

Is that something you feel so passionate about that you agree it should be codified into the laws of this state?

As someone who actually hires people, I am embarrassed at what our legislators have done. I want to bring in the best talent possible, and this law doesn't make it easier.
I don't think this needs to be codified. I really don't have strong passions on any side of this debate. I just have to wonder how people can really find this bill surprising given how conservative of a state Indiana is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's interesting that no one, that I've seen, has pointed out that this bill could be used to discriminate against a lot more people than the GLBT community. For over a century, slavery and segregation was justified based on bible passages that black people were an inferior race. People may be deeply offended by other religious beliefs, and there's a pretty good chance that an Asian customer isn't Christian. So, do they get turned away when they want a table in your restaurant?
Right, and I think people are missing a lot of these potential. and probably more likely, scenarios. I see the Jim Crow potential in this.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
There are days I wonder when did much of the USA, become so self righteous. Really it is very concerning and embarrassing, how bad it has gotten in this country.
Much of the USA, particurlarly the Republicans became self- righteous during the Clinton years when the Monica Lewinski scandal began to unfold. It was terrible the things they were saying about Clinton and the nasty names they were saying about Clinton were coming from a very self-righteous place. Never mind his affair had nothing to do with how well he did his job as President and never mind the fact that the country was booming and we were at peace, the only thing Republican talking heads could focus on was Bill Clinton was getting sex outside his marriage. As if Republicas are too moral and too principled to ever go outside their marriage. But that was when much of the USA became so self-righteous. I dont want to hi jack the thread but you asked. On topic and related to this post, Mike Pence is typical of social Republicans, trample on a non religious persons rights to appeal to the religious right.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Read my post above. This law has not been about only the GLBT community for me. It's the ramifications for other types of discrimination and other abuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana