Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 AM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times

Advertisements

I would not have taken the Goodwill bag into the interview but waited to shop until after my interview. If I did not get hired, I would contact the DAV and let them know about the experience because I am guessing that in this case, they would not be in agreement with what the lady was saying since most charities are not this way and it looks bad for them. Both are worthy organizations and there is no reason for competition like that. You do get some loonies running things and I think this store had one. I don't think that a Goodwill bag spells "bag lady" or "homeless" and that arrogance, thinking you should take a briefcase to at interview at the DAV thrift store kind of shows an ignorance of the topic. Not a lot of people applying to work at a thrift store carry a briefcase. I'm guessing that this was a casual type interview and overdressing would end chances of getting the job also.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,387,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I still don't see what the big deal was what if an old lady with a rolling basket came into the interview with tons of bags I bet she'd got the job than me.

And this^^^ is why you may continue to have problems finding a job.

Like others have said, you could use some help with your interviewing skills and presenting yourself more professionally and like someone employers would want. Just use this as a learning experience.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
Well I didn't know these thrift shops were rivals alright and WHO CARES I SUPPORT ALL THRIFT SHOPS!!!!!

You are missing the point.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,493,069 times
Quote:
Earlier today I had gotten dropped off at the Goodwill thrift shop to browse around and bought something from them then walked down the street to the Disabled American Veterans Thrift Store for my job interview. Yes I know 2 different thrift shops but I love thrift shops either way.

So when I walk into the interview and take my seat the boss who's an old lady notices my Goodwill bag and instantly dislikes this and tells me that their company the Disabled American Veterans Thrift Stores does not like the Goodwill companies and IF I DO WORK FOR THEM I CANNOT EVER GO TO the Goodwill thrift shops anymore and it's in their store policy and contracts too.

Can you believe this? Do you think this is true?

The job interview itself went over alright but again the boss of this location was an old lady and she did seem like a b-tch so we will see what happens.
If you're gonna go to Goodwill anyways, just put on some sunglasses and head over to one in another town.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
Darn I get embarrassed walking into a store as a customer carying stuff with a competitor's logo. To go to an interview with it = epic fail.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM

219 posts, read 431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would not have taken the Goodwill bag into the interview but waited to shop until after my interview. If I did not get hired, I would contact the DAV and let them know about the experience because I am guessing that in this case, they would not be in agreement with what the lady was saying since most charities are not this way and it looks bad for them. Both are worthy organizations and there is no reason for competition like that. You do get some loonies running things and I think this store had one. I don't think that a Goodwill bag spells "bag lady" or "homeless" and that arrogance, thinking you should take a briefcase to at interview at the DAV thrift store kind of shows an ignorance of the topic. Not a lot of people applying to work at a thrift store carry a briefcase. I'm guessing that this was a casual type interview and overdressing would end chances of getting the job also.
Don't be naive. There is a reason for such competition. They are charitable organizations but they are also businesses that need to make money to continue to operate and pay salaries. The employees are not volunteers and the OP was not applying for a volunteer position. These are two competing businesses and their ultimate goal is to stay in business. If one shuts down because the other was able to pull in the majority of the local business, do you think the out of work employees are going to think "Its ok, so long as the community benefits"?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 AM

3,987 posts, read 5,019,459 times
Quote:
While the lady probably said the wrong thing, does anyone think she just reacted with shock that some fool interviewing for a job shouldn't be bringing in a shopping bag...at all? Perhaps she said that to discourage the OP from doing that again. The fact that the OP only refers to her as the old lady tells me his respect for her was nonexistent before he walked in there...and she noticed. She may have seemed ******y but my guess was that she was irritated for her time being wasted.

You may not care about the rules (unspoken mostly, but rules nonetheless) for interviewing, but that was a major faux pas. Just know that respect goes a long way and in this case, you missed it entirely. I truly hope you learn from this. Oh, and no you don't need a briefcase but you certainly don't need a shopping bag. I wonder, if all the walking you said you did, were you sweaty and a little um...stinky as well? Appearance is so important in the first meeting...REALLY important...just sayin'.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM

364 posts, read 708,782 times
Was the stuff you bought 99 cents?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
I still don't see what the big deal was what if an old lady with a rolling basket came into the interview with tons of bags I bet she'd got the job than me.
You weren't and for employers to think you are a bag lady is not right. However you weren't right for bringing the back with you to the interview in the first place. And I am not beating up on you, I am trying to help you (if you want it.)

Quote:
Well I didn't know these thrift shops were rivals alright and WHO CARES I SUPPORT ALL THRIFT SHOPS!!!!!
That's good but if you apply for one, you support only THAT one. Whether it is Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, ect., you should not support the others if you work there. It doesn't look too good if you work at Savers but still shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army, when they have similar services and offerings. It is like something an ex complained to me about, I have had Verizon phones and I have not had problems with coverage (phones are a different story) and I've only heard bad about competitors and she was wondering why I wasn't applying for say Sprint. I am not going to apply for a competitor who will tell me a service isn't as good, nor would I say that a customer should get say a Sprint phone which as less service.

Quote:
Agree wholeheartedly. You aren't going to be walking in with a full suit, maybe a dress shirt and jeans and no leather briefcase. Doesn't mean bringing in a bag is right but it is different than other application processes.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,283,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
She mentioned she was dropped off no car
I'm a mental health case manager. Some of my people who are looking for a job will do some pretty unbelievable things. Given some of the things the OP said, it lead me to believe that she might have a mental health diagnosis.

Also, I just wanted to know if she used public transit regularly. I just had a feeling she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.