Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,363,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That's good but if you apply for one, you support only THAT one. Whether it is Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army, ect., you should not support the others if you work there. It doesn't look too good if you work at Savers but still shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army, when they have similar services and offerings. It is like something an ex complained to me about, I have had Verizon phones and I have not had problems with coverage (phones are a different story) and I've only heard bad about competitors and she was wondering why I wasn't applying for say Sprint. I am not going to apply for a competitor who will tell me a service isn't as good, nor would I say that a customer should get say a Sprint phone which as less service.
I disagree. These stores all deal with used merchandise. If you work at Salvation Army and happen to walk by a Goodwill and see a wall clock in the window that perfectly complements your living room decor for $3 are you supposed to pass on it until somebody decides to donate one to your store? I think not. Not that you shouldn't use some discretion when shopping at the "competition," I certainly wouldn't come into work and tell everyone what a great deal you got down the street.

And while the reaction from the interviewer was directed at the store where the bag came from, I agree with the others that the only things acceptable to bring to an interview would be a briefcase, notepad, and/or purse.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,763,343 times
napy666, it sounds like you could use a bit of help with interview skills. Something you might find helpful is to spend an afternoon at the library, going thru the interview/employment related books. There will probably be some books with sample interview questions, and lists of common interview "DO's" and "DON'Ts". . . like what you should and should't bring.

Do you have a friend of the family or someone, who might be able to help you prepare for interviews by doing some role playing/mock interviews? That can help you feel better prepared for when an interviewer says something that surprises you, and help you learn ways to respond to surprising comments (like being told you can't shop at a competitor).

Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,292,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I am going to roll up at my next McDonalds interview smashing a Whopper. This might be the stupidest thread ever on this forum.
I'm going to interview for a concessions gig with the Washington Redskins while wearing a Dallas Cowboys jersey.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM

548 posts, read 892,965 times
I don't see why me getting dropped off by my mom is a bad thing either. She was going to work and wanted to drop me off whats wrong with that?

Also who cares if I use public transit like the bus or even walking to get around?

The boss lady at the thrift shop liked that I walked and lived really close to the job and was on time. So those were good points and she did like my answers to the various questions too.

So perhaps I will get this job and that will show you!

AND NO I AM NOT A TROLL IT'S CALLED DEFENDING YOURSELF.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,718,878 times
napy's obviously not a troll - they posted about applying to this job a while ago.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM

432 posts, read 1,232,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I don't see why me getting dropped off by my mom is a bad thing either. She was going to work and wanted to drop me off whats wrong with that?

Also who cares if I use public transit like the bus or even walking to get around?

The boss lady at the thrift shop liked that I walked and lived really close to the job and was on time. So those were good points and she did like my answers to the various questions too.

So perhaps I will get this job and that will show you!

There is nothing wrong with using public transportation as long as you arrive on time.

You appear to be a defensive person, if you don't like what someone says or how they response you are going off on them. When you use CAPITAL letters did you know that is the same as YELLING?

Most of the posters are just attempting to assist you by saying don't carry "shopping" into an interview and giving hints on how to improve possibly your appearance and interview skills so you can get a job.

So no, your not a Troll but you sure need to realize that you have flaws that you need to work on to get a job and also get on with people either in person or even on the web!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,363,821 times
Quote:
Nothing. And I don't see where anyone said that there was anything wrong with it.

Quote:
Nobody.

Quote:
That's good news.

Quote:
So perhaps I will get this job....
I hope you do.

Quote:
....... and that will show you!
Show who?

And what, that it's a good idea to take a shopping bag to an interview? Sorry, that's still a bad idea. Not that there aren't some places that are more willing to overlook it - such as thrift shops - but they will be the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Defending yourself against what? Taking the shopping bag to the interview was unprofessional and looked especially bad since it was a shopping bag from a competing business. I hope that the lady who interviewed you will overlook it and give you a chance; but it was still a bad idea and the people pointing it out are trying to give you good advice, not attacking you.

If you would open your mind to taking advice from folks who have conducted successful job searches rather than getting so defensive when people try to advise you to do something different than what you're doing you might have landed a job a long time ago.

Anyway, I hope this one works out for you.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

548 posts, read 892,965 times
DEFENDING MYSELF AGAINST YOU ******* BULLIES!!!!!

So I made a mistake big whoop I didn't think it was such a big deal.

And I did go into the interview looking nice I wore nice pants, a nice blouse, make up, braclet, nice shoes, I looked good for a interview at a simple retail shop.

Why should I go to a retail place dressed in a office type of suit? If I would have done that they would have looked at me weird.

Trust me I know way too many people who walked into an interview wearing a suit or looking that good and they never got the job.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM

819 posts, read 3,216,881 times
Quote:
Why should I go to a retail place dressed in a office type of suit? If I would have done that they would have looked at me weird.

Regardless of the type of job you interview for, you should always dress professional.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,417,271 times
Who bullied you?

Get over yourself. You made a mistake, everyone here has pointed that out. Now you know to respect the interview a bit more next time.

You are right on the clothes though. A suit would be overkill in that environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search