Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
An online application that you can do at the library or at home is probably easier than printing out a resume and finding a place to fax it these days...
seriously. faxing things is a pain in the butt these days unless you already work in an office. and plenty of people who apply for dishwashing jobs know how to use computers. how condescending to imply that they don't.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
A person who is desperate for work and is willing to wash dishes would not know how to use a computer.

Well that is not quite true. Just because someone might be down on their luck doesn't mean they don't know how to use a computer.

I do agree this is over the top for this type of position, but you see people on here saying they have a phone interview with Target..LOL. I mean come on, to stock shelves and work a cash register now requires a phone interview, followed up with an in person interview? Target also does drug testing.

These are jobs that someone used to be able to walk into a store and fill out an application and usually if the manager had time get on the spot interview and maybe leave with a job.

Now you would think working at Target for minimum wage was some type of corporate office position.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
And there are plenty of high school kids, and 20 somethings who will wash dishes. And know how to operate a computer. Better restaurants often start new employees there, before they move on to cook, or waiter. And yes I know a person who did this.

I am referring to ex-cons and older people who was let go and need some sort of income. Not some teen living at home who knows all about technology

Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM

326 posts, read 478,540 times
I had to do a phone interview and an in-person interview to work at Home Depot. They also ran a background check and had me take a drug test to push shopping carts.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
I am referring to ex-cons and older people who was let go and need some sort of income. Not some teen living at home who knows all about technology
What you think they don't know how to use a computer either? Heck ex cons take computer classes when still in prison...

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM

550 posts, read 984,620 times
Quote:
But a person who only qualifies for a job like that won't have internet access or knowledge of how to complete a online application.
Yes they would. Don't be ignorant.

I have 2 sometimes 3 jobs and one of them is housekeeping and the job required me to fill out an online application(and it's good money). Many people are just looking for money on the side or a second job will probably find something like that useful. And it's also been pointed out that teenagers looking for work are likely to look online for these jobs as well.

Also dishwasher is not just some easy job. You are standing on your feet for prolonged periods and you can't just wipe and rinse.

Last edited by smalltowngirl25; 06-26-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
I had to do a phone interview and an in-person interview to work at Home Depot. They also ran a background check and had me take a drug test to push shopping carts.

that is ridiculous and people wonder why crime is so high

Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
Yes they would. Don't be ignorant.

I have 2 sometimes 3 jobs and one of them is housekeeping and the job required me to fill out an online application(and it's good money). Many people are just looking for money on the side or a second job will probably find something like that useful. And it's also been pointed out that teenagers looking for work are likely to look online for these jobs as well.

You know what I didn't have teens in mind because most places don't hire when they know they are in school

Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Over the top and ridiculous for jobs like that.

If someone makes a nice appearance, can look the interviewer in the eye, and comes across as someone who will show up on time, give them a chance and hire them.

Way too complicated these days.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
You know what I didn't have teens in mind because most places don't hire when they know they are in school
putting aside your denial of the existence of high school jobs - everyone who graduated (or even just attended) high school in the u.s. in the last 10-15 years used a computer at school. most of those people are now adults in the workforce.

the odds of any random person who might want to apply to be a dishwasher having access to a fax machine (or even knowing where to go to pay to use one - can you even do that anymore?) is way lower than the odds that they know how to use a computer and either have internet access or know that they can go to the library and use the internet for free.

fax machines are outmoded technology and are being used less and less these days. life goes on. progress happens. it's not always perfect. deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search