Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,956 times

Advertisements

What does it mean to be Jewish? How is a Jew defined by a nationality, ethnicity, universal or ethnic religion, history, personal beliefs, or what? The current controversy over what it means to be Jewish has political, economic, and religious ramification. What does it mean to you to be Jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yentlyvette View Post
What does it mean to be Jewish? How is a Jew defined by a nationality, ethnicity, universal or ethnic religion, history, personal beliefs, or what? The current controversy over what it means to be Jewish has political, economic, and religious ramification. What does it mean to you to be Jewish?
I am a Jew, I chose to be a Jew as my children did. I am part of the fabric of a people. I share with all Jews a religion, history and a destiny. All Jews are connected whether we are Jews by birth or Jews by choice. We are family. It means everything to me to be a Jew.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I chose to be a Jew as my children did.
Your children chose to be Jewish? Without any "help"?
What political party did they choose? Are they democrats? Republicans?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
It is my understanding that people are Jewish by either religion, culture, or both. Maybe by ancestry too.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your children chose to be Jewish? Without any "help"?
What political party did they choose? Are they democrats? Republicans?

They chose to become Jews. They were not coerced. They did not grow up in any religion, but learned about many. When I started my journey to become Jewish they wanted to learn and to go to Hebrew school. When I became Jewish they chose to become Jewish also. I have 3 kids and 2 are Jewish and 1 is not. My husband is an agnostic and what ever my oldest son decides is up to him.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 09-27-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Jews are the descendents along the female line of descent from those who were at Sinai some 3,320 years ago and are bound by the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) given at Sinai, and those who have voluntarily accepted these Mitzvot by conversion.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,956 times
Thank you for your thoughts. But I have some more questions about "choosing" to be Jewish in light of the current controversy of defining Jewish identity.

What do you think of the conversion bill proposed by David Rotem?

Since the government's conversion courts are weak, the bill offers a user-friendly process for those who want to undergo an Orthodox conversion. Its sponsor, MK David Rotem, proposes that municipal rabbis, who are part of the Chief Rabbinate, be allowed to set up conversion courts and carry out conversions even for those who do not live in their cities.

"The bill increases the Chief Rabbinate's authority over conversions and requires the rabbinate to approve the appointment of conversion judges. But Rotem's assumption is that the Chief Rabbinate is not entirely Haredi; it also contains religious Zionist and modern Orthodox rabbis - and it is they who will perform the conversions. The bill also makes it harder to revoke conversions, saying rabbinical courts may do so only if the chief rabbis approve."(Haaretz.com)

Who should have the right to define a Jew? If you are a Jew and don't practice your faith or believe in it then are you still a Jew? And if you are not a Jew by birth but wish to convert to Judaism what is the conversion process like? Why do you think Judaism is such an exclusive religion. Is it because they have always been a religious nation of people dedicated to God and each other?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. But I have some more questions about "choosing" to be Jewish in light of the current controversy of defining Jewish identity.

What do you think of the conversion bill proposed by David Rotem?

Since the government's conversion courts are weak, the bill offers a user-friendly process for those who want to undergo an Orthodox conversion. Its sponsor, MK David Rotem, proposes that municipal rabbis, who are part of the Chief Rabbinate, be allowed to set up conversion courts and carry out conversions even for those who do not live in their cities.

"The bill increases the Chief Rabbinate's authority over conversions and requires the rabbinate to approve the appointment of conversion judges. But Rotem's assumption is that the Chief Rabbinate is not entirely Haredi; it also contains religious Zionist and modern Orthodox rabbis - and it is they who will perform the conversions. The bill also makes it harder to revoke conversions, saying rabbinical courts may do so only if the chief rabbis approve."(Haaretz.com)

Who should have the right to define a Jew? If you are a Jew and don't practice your faith or believe in it then are you still a Jew? And if you are not a Jew by birth but wish to convert to Judaism what is the conversion process like? Why do you think Judaism is such an exclusive religion. Is it because they have always been a religious nation of people dedicated to God and each other?
In Israel the orthodox rabbinate is in control so only orthodox conversions are accepted. The rotem bill would give more power to the orthodox rabbinate. It would also have the potential to cause a split within the Jewish community.

Everywhere in the world their is a spectrum of Jewish practice except in Israel. In Israel the orthodox rabbinate decides who can marry, who can be buried, who can be registered as a Jew. There is not freedom of religion.

As to who is a Jew once you are a Jew it cannot be taken from you. A Jew is one who is born to a Jewish mother or converts to Judaism.

I am against any bill that consolidates power within the ultra orthodox rabbinate. I think conversions should be seen as valid from any Jewish rabbi, not just orthodox.

The conversion process is a period of study with a rabbi, bringing Jewish practice into your home and becoming active in the Jewish community. You then go before a Beit Din, go into a mikvah then you are a Jew.

As to who defines who is a Jew, any person who wants to join the Jewish people ought to be able to. There has been a long history of converts and they did not have to go through the scrutiny of an orthodox court. All they had to do is to say I want to be a part of the Jewish people. After all Ruth is the most famous convert. All she said is where you go I will go and your G-d will be my G-d. The Jewish courts should always have Ruth in mind when it comes to conversions and who wants to be a Jew.

As to my choice to become a Jew, that would not change. I am a Jew, my daughter is a Jew and her children will be born Jewish. At some point the dilemma of conversions will be eventually decided and hopefully Israel will figure out a way to allow for a diverse Judaism as is the reality in other parts of the world.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Why do you think Judaism is such an exclusive religion. Is it because they have always been a religious nation of people dedicated to God and each other?
Among all the Abrahamic faiths, only Judaism, with the recent exception for Roman Catholicism which since "Nostra Aetate" ("In Our Time") published in 1965 believes that Jews can go to Heaven, does not require non-Jews to become Jews in order to go to Heaven; and, thus, from a Jewish perspective, it it not necessary for a good person of whatever faith to become a Jew in order to go to Heaven.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by yentlyvette
Why do you think Judaism is such an exclusive religion. Is it because they have always been a religious nation of people dedicated to God and each other?

I think Judaism became insular due to the history of exile and violence that has been directed towards Jews. Christianity made it punishable by death for someone to convert to Judaism for the one who converted and those who helped the convert.

But we are also welcoming. When I became a Jew I felt such welcoming and acceptance.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 09-28-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism