Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,345,995 times

Advertisements

I understand that if your mother is jewish, your jewish.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,827,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I understand that if your mother is jewish, your jewish.
Your jewish what?

Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,593,380 times
According to the bible if the father is Jewish then the children are Jewish.

According to 'modern' teachings if the mother is Jewish then the children are Jewish.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If we are going by genetics, and we all came from Adam and Eve, wouldn't that make us ALL Jewish?

If not, when did the rest of the world stop being Jewish?
No. The latest science says the birthplace of humanity is in Africa.

That would make ALL Americans African-Americans.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,545,969 times
Wow, my brother's in-laws would be having a fit on this one...

According to them....long long long line of Jews btw.
Judism is a religion not a race.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,866 times
I have a very good friend who is
1. black
2. jewish
3. gay

she's been known to refer to herself, (depending on her mood)

as either:
a triple threat
or having 3 strikes against her

Last edited by bellalunatic; 11-17-2008 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Wow, my brother's in-laws would be having a fit on this one...

According to them....long long long line of Jews btw.
Judism is a religion not a race.
Maybe, but I think some Jews don't think so, which is why they do not accept converts or even the more liberal forms of Judiasm.

I know some guys who say they are Jewish and atheist. They do not observe in any way, so it is not a cultural thing.

Then, did not Moses have many wives from different places?
Were the offspring Jewish if the mothers were not?

Did/could the women convert? Did they bring their 'strange' Gods with them?

And what is it with the people who believe that many present Jews have similar genetic material because they come from Khazars? The people who say this say that the current Jewish population did not come from the line of David or Abraham. Or something.

So, if that is true, then YOU are also. They would all be converts. Or mostly.

I am so rusty(read ignorant) in all of this.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-17-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM

810 posts, read 1,438,182 times
Last night on the History International Channel they had a program about the Lemba tribe in Africa... it was actually a program on the quest for the ark of the covenant. Very interesting...they believe in one God (whom they call Jehovah/Yaweh), they do not worship ancestors or idols. They do test genetically as part of the Jewish race.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,022,408 times
THAT'S the TV program I referred to earlier!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,687,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Maybe, but I think some Jews don't think so, which is why they do not accept converts or even the more liberal forms of Judiasm.
Judaism is not a proselytizing religion, and potential converts are actively discouraged, at least in Orthodox Judaism. However, conversion is permitted, and lots of people do convert, including blacks. Once the conversion process is complete, the fact of the conversion is not even mentioned. There are some communities that do not perform conversions, mainly because it is an enormous responsibility, and not all rabbis feel up to it -- however, those communities will still recognize a convert as a fellow Jew. There is only one community that's an exception to this rule -- Syrian Jews. However, they represent a tiny minority of the world's Jews.

Quote:
Then, did not Moses have many wives from different places?
Were the offspring Jewish if the mothers were not?

Did/could the women convert? Did they bring their 'strange' Gods with them?
I assume, both. But I think you mean Solomon, not Moses.

Quote:
And what is it with the people who believe that many present Jews have similar genetic material because they come from Khazars? The people who say this say that the current Jewish population did not come from the line of David or Abraham. Or something.
That's wrong for many, many reasons. This is a theory that was first proposed by certain Jews who wanted to escape anti-Semitic laws and then by anti-Semites who want to deny Jews a state in the Middle East. Undoubtedly, some Khazarian Jews joined other Jewish communities upon the destruction of Khazaria, but the suggestion that all Jews today (or even all, or most, Ashkenazi Jews) are Khazars has no basis in written record or archaeology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism