Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
He was Jewish by his choice of religion...not by genetics
Does that make him any less of a jew then?

How about Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet.....both were born of one black parent and one jewish one.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a black Jew? Is it even possible under the craziest circumstances?
Not only is it possible, but it's actually fairly common in some parts of the world... when I was in Israel I met a whole group of Ethiopian Jews, and there are MANY more in Africa. Judaism is an ethnicity of sorts, but also a religion that spans all continents and races. I've met Asian Jews, Black Jews, Hispanic Jews (one of my sister's friend is a Mexican Jew), and so forth. I also had a friend growing up who was 1/2 Black and 1/2 Jewish, so she counts too! Additionally, you have the two main Jewish "ethnic groups" of Ashkenazi and Sephardic - the former being of Eastern European descent, and the latter being of Middle Eastern or Mediterranean descent (usually).

Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know some guys who say they are Jewish and atheist. They do not observe in any way, so it is not a cultural thing.
I identify as an Agnostic Jew, and many others today refer to themselves as "secular Jew" or "culturally Jewish." So while you can say it's a religion, it goes much deeper than that... we are technically of the Semitic race, and according to the Bible you are Jewish if your mother has Jewish blood - whether or not you practice.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:30 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Quote:
Maybe, but I think some Jews don't think so, which is why they do not accept converts or even the more liberal forms of Judiasm.

I know some guys who say they are Jewish and atheist. They do not observe in any way, so it is not a cultural thing.

Then, did not Moses have many wives from different places?
Were the offspring Jewish if the mothers were not?

Did/could the women convert? Did they bring their 'strange' Gods with them?

And what is it with the people who believe that many present Jews have similar genetic material because they come from Khazars? The people who say this say that the current Jewish population did not come from the line of David or Abraham. Or something.

So, if that is true, then YOU are also. They would all be converts. Or mostly.

I am so rusty(read ignorant) in all of this.
It's possible, indeed it's not uncommon, to be a Jew and to be an atheist.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Does that make him any less of a jew then?

How about Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet.....both were born of one black parent and one jewish one.
Technically if the mother is Jewish the child is too, so I believe Lenny Kravitz would not be considered Jewish (since it was on his dad's side)... but he is still a major hottie, LOL. FYI, these are merely the rules according to the Bible, and not my own personal beliefs. If your father is Jewish and you choose to identify as such, I have no issue with that - and neither does the Reform Synagogue, which is what I attend.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Well Jews did originate in the Middle East, not Europe. The real Moses(if he did exist)probably looked far more like Osama Bin Laden than Charleton Heston.lol

Last edited by CamaroGuy; 11-17-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Since Judaism is a religion and NOT an ethnicity, it certainly is possible. Anyone could adopt the Jewish faith, and then they would be considered Jews no matter what racial or ethnic group they happen to come from.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Since Judaism is a religion and NOT an ethnicity, it certainly is possible. Anyone could adopt the Jewish faith, and then they would be considered Jews no matter what racial or ethnic group they happen to come from.
No Orthodox or Chasidic Jew would consider a convert Jewish - and it really is an ethnic group, but that discussion gets complicated.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Judaism is not a proselytizing religion, and potential converts are actively discouraged, at least in Orthodox Judaism. However, conversion is permitted, and lots of people do convert, including blacks. Once the conversion process is complete, the fact of the conversion is not even mentioned. There are some communities that do not perform conversions, mainly because it is an enormous responsibility, and not all rabbis feel up to it -- however, those communities will still recognize a convert as a fellow Jew. There is only one community that's an exception to this rule -- Syrian Jews. However, they represent a tiny minority of the world's Jews.

I assume, both. But I think you mean Solomon, not Moses.

That's wrong for many, many reasons. This is a theory that was first proposed by certain Jews who wanted to escape anti-Semitic laws and then by anti-Semites who want to deny Jews a state in the Middle East. Undoubtedly, some Khazarian Jews joined other Jewish communities upon the destruction of Khazaria, but the suggestion that all Jews today (or even all, or most, Ashkenazi Jews) are Khazars has no basis in written record or archaeology.
Thank you.
If you have any reading material that you think I could follow that refutes the 'most Jews are really Khazars' claim, I would appreciate it. I only ask because I know someone, who I don't think is anti-Semetic, but often makes this comment, and although it sounds peculiar to me, I really have no way of countering the claim.
I understand it's such a specialized request that it is probably difficult to get information on, so please don't go to any trouble. But on the off chance that you might have such info at the ready, I thought I'd ask.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 PM

777 posts, read 1,440,940 times
Quote:
Thank you.
If you have any reading material that you think I could follow that refutes the 'most Jews are really Khazars' claim, I would appreciate it. I only ask because I know someone, who I don't think is anti-Semetic, but often makes this comment, and although it sounds peculiar to me, I really have no way of countering the claim.
I understand it's such a specialized request that it is probably difficult to get information on, so please don't go to any trouble. But on the off chance that you might have such info at the ready, I thought I'd ask.
I no expert on any of the information you ask for, but I do have this which I've learned:
when someone comments "often" about a particular position on an uncommon topic - they're either trying to convince others or themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism