Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,559,523 times

Advertisements

If you're unable to install new smoke detector batteries yourself, consider hiring a handyman that works hourly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,014,915 times
But at least only do it once and have the detector moved to someplace that isn't hazardous.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,826,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But at least only do it once and have the detector moved to someplace that isn't hazardous.
That is a complicated task in Buzz's home. You basically have to reroute the smoke detector AC circuit from a high ceiling to down on an adjacent wall. Perhaps the AC could be picked up from another smoke detector elsewhere and routed to the big room. I would suspect any handyman for less than $50 would do it.

I can no longer do ladders or things that require getting down to it so I generally build up three or four things and then have a handyman or an electrician make a call.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:28 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,559,523 times
At the very least the handyman can remove the smoke detector that is improperly placed on a 20 foot ceiling, spackle, paste and paint the hole where the a/c connection is and just put a purely battery operated smoke detector on a ceiling/wall that is more accessible.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,391,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I don't know the codes, but I know how to search for them.

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/d...Amendments.pdf

See section R314

If you have an older home, as I do (built in 1988), the fire code at the time the house was built did not require as many smoke alarms as are required now. Current code requires one in every bedroom.

My house was built with just two wired smoke alarms, one on each level. Wired smoke alarms still require battery backup, so there really is no such thing as a smoke alarm without a battery. I also have two smoke/thermal alarms connected to my alarm system, so they receive backup power from the alarm system's battery. Everything other smoke alarm in the house is battery powered.

Smoke alarms use either photoelectric or ionization detection, or both (not that common). The alarms I added are either dual-technology, or combo photoelectric/CO detectors. I skimmed an NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) study on photoelectric vs ionization vs dual-technology detectors, and the conclusion seemed to be that dual-technology had no disadvantages, other than cost, and significant advantages over single-technology detectors. They even outperformed co-located detectors of each type in some cases.

Also note the requirements on CO detection:

This thread looks like it's already got a lot of good advice in it for you. Buying the smoke alarms with the long-life lithium batteries, and just replacing them when the batteries die might be a good solution for you.
But the lithium batteries are just like a regular smoke detector, just a longer life battery? If that's the case it should help. I should have said that we have seven hard wired smoke detectors that use 9v batteries. And the one in the living room is actually more than 20 feet in the air, but can be reached with our tall extension ladder...barely. The problem is that neither one of us should go up on ladders for health reasons. So we want to do something before they start chirping. They've all done it at different times even when we changed the batteries every year. But I can't get a handyman to be here in the middle of the night when they most often do it. Most of them are easy to reach, but not the living room one. I'm thinking we should get the ten year lithium battery ones with CO2 detection too.
Thanks all for your advice. I didn't know they could be moved either. So I'll get a guy to do that in the living room. Mediocrebut...do you think I could just get an electrician and buy them from him without being ripped off, or should I go to Lowes or go online?

Old 10-07-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Your insurance company effectively enforces fire alarm code. If you don't have them, and your house burns down, they don't pay.

My policy is crystal clear on several points: I don't do electrical work. (Even easy-peasy electrical work.) If I do, and the house burns down, they don't pay. I have to have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. If they house burns down and the inspector doesn't find the remains of a fire extinguisher, they don't pay. And I have to have smoke detectors in all bedrooms and strategically placed around the hallways. Or again they don't pay.

I use rechargeable 9V batteries the smoke detector. At least that way when they start chirping, I can swap out the battery and recharge it. I've been doing this for years now and it works well. If it's a wired detector, you can remove the battery entirely and it will stop chirping. But you're on your own with your insurance company.

Putting a smoke detector on a 20-foot ceiling is more of a code violation than not having one. That's unnecessarily dangerous. If everyone in Las Vegas had such a setup it is very likely that dozens of people would fall off ladders and die each year. Here's your solution: move the smoke detector!
So maybe sue the builder? I've always thought it was a stupid place for one but I figured since smoke rises they didn't have a choice. At least it's near a pot shelf where I can lean the ladder. But I want it gone if that's possible. There is one before the bedroom door off the living room, and one about four feet from that inside the bedroom. A little overkill I think.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,145,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
So maybe sue the builder? I've always thought it was a stupid place for one but I figured since smoke rises they didn't have a choice. At least it's near a pot shelf where I can lean the ladder. But I want it gone if that's possible. There is one before the bedroom door off the living room, and one about four feet from that inside the bedroom. A little overkill I think.
Buzz, I'd take the geek's advice and look at the Nest systems. They are a little spendy, but pretty nice. They are also easy to shut up when you burn toast or something. (Not that that ever happens to me )

The smoke alarms in my old house were up a good 18-20 feet in some rooms, too. Ugh.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,014,915 times
No. I wouldn't sue anyone.

You haven't been injured by the builder. The detector is mounted inconveniently. But for all I know, that was OK back whenever your house was built. I have can lights in similarly inconvenient areas. But unless I can prove damages, I cannot sue over it.

Just move the thing so you don't need to hop on a ladder any time the battery fails and be done with it. Unless you like climbing ladders, for some reason.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,894,427 times
Suggestion:

1) Hire a handyman to replace your existing detectors with units that have a long-lasting battery.
2) Mark your calendar for X years from now, where X is a year or two before the expected life is over, and then hire a handyman to replace them once again.

I just visited a vacation home of mine out-of-state, arriving about 11pm, to discover a smoke detector up over 20 feet chirping away. I pulled the 24 foot extension ladder out & changed the battery with another 9v duracell - but next time I'm just hiring someone to do it, as I don't really belong on that high a ladder either.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 PM

I called Pacific Electric who did some work for us before. They said they would send a guy to give a free estimate this morning. The guy called and didn't know he was supposed to come out and give us an estimate. Then he called back and said it would be $76 per detector, and they are guaranteed for one year. I ask him if they detected CO2 and he said he might have ONE that does that, and one is probably all we need. Then I asked him about the ten year lithium battery ones and he acted like that was the first time he'd heard of them. And, he said that it says on the box to check them every two weeks, and change batteries every two months. Even the fire dept. says change batteries when the time changes twice a year. I've found that once a year is more than enough, but that's still no help. This guy is clueless. I'm going to Lowes and Home depot to talk to them.

BTW: I measured again, and the living room ceiling is only 15 feet high. I'm not sure where I got 20 feet from. Probably when I first got my electronic distance/temp automatic calculation device and was playing with it. This time I put on my reading glasses and did it right.

The room is 18 by 24 by 15, not counting niches, and pony walls, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas