Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 AM

73 posts, read 165,191 times

Advertisements

My wife is from Thailand and is currently in the process of receiving permanent resident status in the US.

Sadly, our economy is stagnant... and with our degrees and experience; we could honestly find better work in Thailand. Unless, of course, we were involved in the health care industry. We were joking about it the other day; she never would have thought she would be better off career wise in Thailand than the US when she first came here... but alas, the world is changing. That being said... I love the US and the freedoms we have here, and so does my wife; we just wish it was heading in the right direction.

The US is no longer interested in attracting highly educated, hard working professionals and entrepreneurs from around the world. We are interested in allowing the least common denominator the ability the proliferate at an ever increasing rate and encourage dependency on our wasteful, corrupt government.

We are not at capacity. We as a nation have just handicapped the ability to create more economic capacity. I have talked to many legal immigrants that have a better sense of true American values than many natives do. If highly educated people want to immigrate here legally and start companies and businesses; why wouldn't you let them!? Yet, the US government won't even let my wife's parents come here to visit on vacation and spend their money here... while other people ignore our borders and get free health care and don't pay taxes, and then turn around and burn US flags and pop out children that leech off our government. We should discriminate in the immigration process... if legal immigrants are not desirable candidates (criminal history, etc.)... reject their applications. We are so obsessed with being politically correct that it makes everything more difficult and costly for everyone else.

The American dream is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,427,519 times
We should actually be considering a near-total moratorium on legal immigration unless people can demonstrate that their "need" is pretty extreme. We have unemployment numbers that we haven't seen for at least a generation. Why are we bringing in more people when we don't have enough jobs for the ones already here????

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 AM

27,223 posts, read 46,908,071 times
I would start to allow people who bring jobs over here like E2 visa holders and give them a greencard.

Than start with people who can support themself and don't need a job and are willing never to take a job, like elderly wealthy people who want to live here and support the economy by buying a property, cars, shop over here, etc.... let them sign that they won't sell the home unless they owned it for 10 years. That will help the economy + create jobs if many investors come over here from abroad.

Illegals would be on the bottom of my list but the kids who couldn't help it would be the first to be helped.....but no chance to support any of their family members in the future, other than if they marry and get kids...no brothers or sisters or moms or dad for a greencard...(the brothers and sisters should be able to get one themself) and not like the Dream Act when even people with a misdemenor can still apply...that is ridiculous!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:16 AM

73 posts, read 165,191 times
Exactly Bentlebee.

As of now my wife and I are just planning on moving to Asia eventually. It is going to be hard to give up my firearms and some of my other freedoms. But, I feel like we would have more opportunity there.

All of this makes me really sad, I wanted to retire in Montana or something I would hope things turn around here.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,504,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think we should only have quotas for legal immigration based on the best interests and needs of this country. We must stay within the carrying capacity of our nation. I also think that immigration should be from diverse backgrounds and nationalities. When you allow too many from one group or country it defeats our melting pot ideals and we lose our identity as a nation culturally and linguistically.
I agree entirely with these comments. All good sense

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,482,051 times
Just repeal the Immigration Act of 1965.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,495,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
My wife is from Thailand and is currently in the process of receiving permanent resident status in the US.

Sadly, our economy is stagnant... and with our degrees and experience; we could honestly find better work in Thailand. Unless, of course, we were involved in the health care industry. We were joking about it the other day; she never would have thought she would be better off career wise in Thailand than the US when she first came here... but alas, the world is changing. That being said... I love the US and the freedoms we have here, and so does my wife; we just wish it was heading in the right direction.

The US is no longer interested in attracting highly educated, hard working professionals and entrepreneurs from around the world. We are interested in allowing the least common denominator the ability the proliferate at an ever increasing rate and encourage dependency on our wasteful, corrupt government.

We are not at capacity. We as a nation have just handicapped the ability to create more economic capacity. I have talked to many legal immigrants that have a better sense of true American values than many natives do. If highly educated people want to immigrate here legally and start companies and businesses; why wouldn't you let them!? Yet, the US government won't even let my wife's parents come here to visit on vacation and spend their money here... while other people ignore our borders and get free health care and don't pay taxes, and then turn around and burn US flags and pop out children that leech off our government. We should discriminate in the immigration process... if legal immigrants are not desirable candidates (criminal history, etc.)... reject their applications.
Quote:
We are so obsessed with being politically correct
that it makes everything more difficult and costly for everyone else.

The American dream is dead.
If you noticed, it's the government who insists on political correctness.
We the people try to do things legally "by the book" and we get nailed for it because, to the Gov, it's politically incorrect, (unconstitutional,discrimatory, unethical). Even though it was done by the Law(s) that they wrote.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,177,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
I often hear people say "I don't mind if they come here but legally."

We let in one million a year, legally, far too many in my opinion and the majority are from the third world.

Many times, the so-called 'illegals' are legal citizens. I don't think many realize the massive amount of people we let in from Latin America, legally.

So my question is for the people who say "I don't mind if they come here but legally" would you be okay with letting in 15 million a year legally?

I would not. We need our immigration system under control both for those here legally and illegally.

We are supposed to live in a democracy, it's about time we voted for people who are not hellbent on turning this country into another majority brown, poor, Latin American country with lots of cheap labor.

I mean we're off waging war for Israel but we can't even defend our own borders or control immigration???
This video will help open our eyes to immigration, it doesn't matter if we take in 1 million or 15 million people, it still won't affect world povery.

YouTube - Immigration, World Poverty and Gumballs - Updated 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
I mean we're off waging war for Israel but we can't even defend our own borders or control immigration???
Unfortunately the politicians put Israel first before their fellow americans.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I would start to allow people who bring jobs over here like E2 visa holders and give them a greencard.

Than start with people who can support themself and don't need a job and are willing never to take a job, like elderly wealthy people who want to live here and support the economy by buying a property, cars, shop over here, etc.... let them sign that they won't sell the home unless they owned it for 10 years. That will help the economy + create jobs if many investors come over here from abroad.

Illegals would be on the bottom of my list but the kids who couldn't help it would be the first to be helped.....but no chance to support any of their family members in the future, other than if they marry and get kids...no brothers or sisters or moms or dad for a greencard...(the brothers and sisters should be able to get one themself) and not like the Dream Act when even people with a misdemenor can still apply...that is ridiculous!
Way too often those who bring jobs only bring jobs to their own people, many immigrant business owners use their businesses to bring in their whole extended family, they hire no Americans at all.

So I would limit the job creators to those who actually create jobs for Americans. Otherwise they are of no benefit to us. Too many immigrant owned businesses pay dirt, they fail to provide health insurance plans and end up being a drain.

Yes on the elderly wealthy who have money to provide for themselves.

As for the children being smuggled in, I would prefer to keep their families together and when the parents are deported, their children should go with them.

It's like that case where the Cuban boy was brought in, and it turned out his father took him back home to live - parental rights and all that. And apparently Elian Gonzalez is doing just fine back in his own country. Minor age children really need to stay with their parents and that applies to deported illegal parents I think.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,504,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchMZ View Post
Exactly Bentlebee.

As of now my wife and I are just planning on moving to Asia eventually. It is going to be hard to give up my firearms and some of my other freedoms. But, I feel like we would have more opportunity there.

All of this makes me really sad, I wanted to retire in Montana or something I would hope things turn around here.
I hope everything works out for you and your wife. Its sad when Americans have to leave their own country because the government gives us such a difficult road to go down when getting residency status for a foreign spouse. That's why my husband and I went to his hometown in the UK, until such a time as we could get back to the United States TOGETHER. If you have to move to Asia I hope you have a happier time than we did in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration