Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM

387 posts, read 591,365 times

Advertisements

Most immigrants do build their own country maybe not directly but do indirectly Lots of them send their savings to their home country which helps their home country in their import bill
India and Mexico are big recipients of migrant money from the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
In addition to money, countries like Brazil and India do a significant amount of knowledge sharing between immigrants and their acquaintances back home.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post

I am an immigrant from a very wealthy industrialized "first world" nation. While my reasons for living in the US these days are certainly of a much more personal matter, my initial reasons for moving to the US had to do with a rather restrictive and intransigent educational system in my home country. I simply could not pursue my educational goals there. In the US, however, I was deemed "exceptional" and thus, received scholarships at some of the nation's best universities all the way from my undergraduate studies to the dissertation process. At home, I was blocked from just about anything...
What country is that, if you don't mind?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugargay View Post
Firstly I am not a troll.....Secondly how are poor countries going to advance if there are no educated people sacrificing their better lives in the West and going to build something there? Would the British have reduced tax on salt in India if Ghandi didn't march to the coast?

You overlook a major issue which is how Industralized nations send headhunting teams to gather the best and the brightest in these 3rd world nations and offer them salaries and benefits that no domestic company can even offer.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
Why don't immigrants try to build their country?

Quote:
For others who are not as fortunate to be able to migrate? I am not saying there is an obligation to build their country but it seems that they are not commited to their country. Why is this?

sugargay, what are some of the things that you think immigrants could do to help build their country of origin that they do not do?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
For others who are not as fortunate to be able to migrate? I am not saying there is an obligation to build their country but it seems that they are not commited to their country. Why is this?
Good question. It's easier to just come here where everything is already in place for them. They can forget the fate of the folks back home, they never have to work on reforms, never have to make the effort to build schools, work for change.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because individuals look out for themselves and helping the country is only good to do if it helps yourself.
Because Americans fought for reforms and social change. For example the Civil Rights movement -- that involved a struggle and MLK gave up his life to make for a more just world.

That's how nations are improved, not by everyone fleeing to the USA and the easy life.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
I can't speak for all immigrants, but here's my opinion. I never considered myself beholden to my country. I consider the world my home, and although I can't travel wherever I want, I believe I have that basic human right. My country is going down the toilet (or so it seems) and it's not my fault. Why is it my responsibility to fix it?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Much easier to live off of the largess of ours.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,635,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Much easier to live off of the largess of ours.
My tax bill begs to disagree. Or if there are gifts that I should be getting then I'm missing out big time.

It is actually very simple: the pay is much better. That's it for me. Even factoring in the higher cost of living, I am still making 2x and saving 2x what I would be able to in my country of origin.

Also, by leaving I practically created a job (the one I had :P), plus I send some money back that is put in the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration